The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

NDGAARONDI
Then personally I don't think we can be called a Christian country.

What scale would you create to measure Christian-ness, and what would the pass mark be on that scale to earn the status of a 'Christian country'.

Far more important to our status, surrely, is the fact that the Crown and Church are united, and that the Church plays a part in our Constitution?
Reply 81
tazarooni89

As for the UK being "secular", I don't know about that. The fact that our coins say that the Queen is, "by the Grace of God, Defender of the Faith" on them seems to suggest otherwise!

I think the UK is de jure religious, but de facto secular. Yeah we have some constitutional links with religion, and a few other things here and there, but it's largely ceremonial and has little real impact on people's lives (unless they want it to of course).
AnythingButChardonnay
What scale would you create to measure Christian-ness, and what would the pass mark be on that scale to earn the status of a 'Christian country'.

Far more important to our status, surrely, is the fact that the Crown and Church are united, and that the Church plays a part in our Constitution?

Well, it is a difficult way to measure but the Church still being part of the state is there for historical purposes, not because we believe in some violent ancient scripture. But having an official religion does not make the country religious per se. Otherwise, India would be an atheist state by definition.

Could always do an opinion poll, using the Likert scale, to see how 'religious' people appear to be. Whilst I heard some stupid statistic that 75% Britons 'identify' themselves as being a Christian I can't help but feel this identification is a load of tosh.

Could see how many people attend Church on a weekly basis over the years. If that drops over time then it is a good sign that Christianity is waning and, therefore, questions the statement that Britain is a Christian country.

Oh and if Britain was a true Christian country we wouldn't permit abortions like we do. It would be very similar to Ireland's instead. You would raise an eyebrow if Iran decided to allow everyone to drink alcohol, wouldn't you?
Reply 83
drukarale
That's how the world is? Well then, don't you think trying to change it would be a good thing? Perhaps you would prefer to try to change nothing in your lifetime and just accept things as the are?

I don't see how stopping the people providing the best education, e.g. the private schools, is making things better. It wouldn't save any money. That's just bringing down everyone to the lowest common denominator, which history has shown means that no one gets anywhere.

I'm all for better education. But dragging everyone down to the same low standard, that's not the way to go. Everything is never going to be completely equal. What you're saying is principally that everyone should have their legs cut off to appear the same height.
NDGAARONDI
Think you will find Britain's oldest foundations were actually pagan.

Think you will find as a unified nation we have always been christian. no time for pedantics.
NDGAARONDI
Well, it is a difficult way to measure but the Church still being part of the state is there for historical purposes, not because we believe in some violent ancient scripture. But having an official religion does not make the country religious per se. Otherwise, India would be an atheist state by definition.

Could always do an opinion poll, using the Likert scale, to see how 'religious' people appear to be. Whilst I heard some stupid statistic that 75% Britons 'identify' themselves as being a Christian I can't help but feel this identification is a load of tosh.

Could see how many people attend Church on a weekly basis over the years. If that drops over time then it is a good sign that Christianity is waning and, therefore, questions the statement that Britain is a Christian country.

All seems a bit silly to me! Why even attempt to measure something like that, and why does it really matter? The identification thing is ridiculous, yes.

Oh and if Britain was a true Christian country we wouldn't permit abortions like we do. It would be very similar to Ireland's instead. You would raise an eyebrow if Iran decided to allow everyone to drink alcohol, wouldn't you?

You need to satisfy quite strict criteria to qualify (for want of a better word) for an abortion. It's just not really enforced that strictly. Modern wisdom seems to suggest that simply not wanting a baby now qualifies as psychological distress.
As Anglicans are quite divided over abortion as it is, I'm not entirely sure whether this is on its own is enough to prove we're not a Christian country, just because we allow something that many Christians (and many other religions) don't approve of.

Iran is an interesting example. Does Iran allowing alcohol for Christian and Jewish ceremonies mean, in your opinion, that it is not an Islamic state?
touchofclass
It's not really multiculturalism though is it. Multiculturalism is different cultures existing together, rather than being divided up into their own specific school.

I would have considered "multiculturalism" to be more of a recognition, support and endorsement of a variety of cultures.
So a multicultural UK would be one where a Black Christian, Pakistani Muslim and White Jew (for example) would all feel at home.

I'm not sure where I stand on faith schools, but personally I am uncomfortable with the idea that state-funded schools can have a selection criteria based on religious belief. So you could have a Catholic school a few minutes walk from your house, but if you were an atheist or different religion they might not let your child in.

I'd also feel uncomfortable with that idea - however, I'm a Muslim who went to a Christian faith school, so maybe it's not as big a problem as it might appear to be? It could simply be that such a school is designed for educating children via the perspective of a certain faith, rather than educating children who belong to a particular faith.
Mixing fact with belife = :facepalm:
DJ AgnieszkaA
Think you will find as a unified nation we have always been christian. no time for pedantics.

The foundations of this country didn't begin from 1707.
AnythingButChardonnay
All seems a bit silly to me! Why even attempt to measure something like that, and why does it really matter? The identification thing is ridiculous, yes.

Well, you can use it to see how long it is before a country might become officially atheist. Just out of interest really.

AnythingButChardonnay
You need to satisfy quite strict criteria to qualify (for want of a better word) for an abortion. It's just not really enforced that strictly. Modern wisdom seems to suggest that simply not wanting a baby now qualifies as psychological distress.
As Anglicans are quite divided over abortion as it is, I'm not entirely sure whether this is on its own is enough to prove we're not a Christian country, just because we allow something that many Christians (and many other religions) don't approve of.

Iran is an interesting example. Does Iran allowing alcohol for Christian and Jewish ceremonies mean, in your opinion, that it is not an Islamic state?

Abortion is on demand, that is the reality. While the law appears to be strict, I've seen few prosecutions for dubious ones and, indeed, a judicial review to look at such lax rules failed. The statistics are there and politicians don't want to get involved, probably because of any criticism. If the law is is strict in theory, but hardly enforced then it's not a law at all IMO.

Anglicans should never be divided over abortion. What next? Be divided on adultery? If they believe in abortion then you may as well get a Muslim stuffing his face with pork. I'd be interested if to hear if there are a good number of Anglicans who think abortion does not contravene God's will.

I brought up Iran, since it's spoken about quite a bit (and their leader looks like Roy Keane a bit), since no doubt if they allowed everyone to drink alcohol, including Muslims, then people will question whether it is an Islamic state, even by people who claim Britain is a Christian country despite its laws permitted abortion. Iran was probably not the best example because there are differences within Islam, apparently.

I think some Islamic states allow non-Muslims to drink, like United Arab Emirates, but that's because they don't want to hinder tourism probably.
Faith schools perform exceedingly better than state schools - its no wonder they're funded and parents fight to get their kids in. My parents took me to church every sunday for 6 years so I could get into the local Convent school - it was the best performing in the borough, alongside the local C of E school. If we are so keen to celebrate diversity of faith in this country, scrapping faith schools (or at least making a statement against them) wouldnt be the thing to do.
tazarooni89
I would have considered "multiculturalism" to be more of a recognition, support and endorsement of a variety of cultures.
So a multicultural UK would be one where a Black Christian, Pakistani Muslim and White Jew (for example) would all feel at home.

I guess the question is whether this 'endorsement' needs to be at school? I don't think there necessarily needs to segregation in education, and indeed it's a good thing for cultures to mix from an early age.

In their own time the Christian goes to church, the Jew goes to a synagogue and the Muslim goes to a mosque, but do they all need to be similarly split up when it comes to being taught maths and numeracy?
Reply 92
moregano
The UK is meant to be a secular, multicultural society, so why are religious schools funded by the government?
Because schools find it hard to operate without funding

Faith schools encourage segregation and exclusion.They are allowed to promote the idea that sex outside marriage and homosexuality are wrong;
No they aren't
the government is supposed to be working to discourage homophobic attitudes. They are allowed to select pupils (and staff) based on religion;
Hence the name faith schools. They also don't completely discriminate anyway
one of the best primary schools in my area was a Catholic school, but I couldn't have gone there even if my parents wanted me to. My mum is a teacher and has been unsuccessful in applying for jobs at several RC primary schools, all of which hired a Catholic teacher instead.

If parents want their kids to get a religious education then they should be able to go private pay for it themselves, but it's not fair to spend taxpayers' money on something many of us are denied access to anyway.
The funding they recieve is not spent on instilling beliefs on children. If anything, faith schools get much worse funding than others, yet still have to follow the same curriculum. Your arguement is entirely based on the fact faith schools discrimate. How would making them go private solve any of the problems you mentioned?

NDGAARONDI
The foundations of this country didn't begin from 1707.

the foundations of this nation emerged in christianity. obviously there were pagans on the land before, as there were pretty much everywhere. it does not make you look intelligent or well informed pointing that out.
DJ AgnieszkaA
the foundations of this nation emerged in christianity. obviously there were pagans on the land before, as there were pretty much everywhere. it does not make you look intelligent or well informed pointing that out.

If Anglosaxon pagans didn't contribute to the foundations of what is our country we will be speaking Danish. Learn your history.
Reply 95
MaceyThe
Again, wasn't really a problem untill Islam came along.....

Then Muslim schools in Britain started poisoning young minds and teaching Islamic supremacy, and that Jews were "apes and pigs," as reported by Newsnight:

and.......

This is where the segregation is coming from. Wasn't a problem before, but now, to be fair and even handed, all faith schools are facing scrutiny, even though some of them have excellent academic results.

interpretations... again with the Islamaphobia
Reply 96
moregano
The UK is meant to be a secular, multicultural society, so why are religious schools funded by the government?

Faith schools encourage segregation and exclusion. They are allowed to promote the idea that sex outside marriage and homosexuality are wrong; the government is supposed to be working to discourage homophobic attitudes. They are allowed to select pupils (and staff) based on religion; one of the best primary schools in my area was a Catholic school, but I couldn't have gone there even if my parents wanted me to. My mum is a teacher and has been unsuccessful in applying for jobs at several RC primary schools, all of which hired a Catholic teacher instead.

If parents want their kids to get a religious education then they should be able to go private pay for it themselves, but it's not fair to spend taxpayers' money on something many of us are denied access to anyway.

I will agree with you on some of your points, such as it's wrong to select staff based on religion etc, and have targets such as RC schools taking in 70% RC children. However, I went to a Roman Catholic High School and would just like to give you one example of how it wasn't all bad:

* I applied and got accepted from a non-religious primary school into my Catholic School.

* Although it may seem like they're all for no-to-homosexuals (take into account I'm bisexual) and no-sex-before-marriage -- many of my teachers, including RE ones taught that homosexuality should be tolerated. They also taught the values of living with one partner and eventually marrying that partner - but rarely would they attack sex-before-marriage or living together and not being married. The way they taught is was to be in a one-on-one relationship; that was far more important than worrying about getting married etc... They also got a company to come in and show us how to apply the use of condoms because "although we disagree with it and would reccomend you not to, we believe it's still right for you to be safe if you're ever in the situation."

*I never had Catholic values forced down my throat. I was taught some stories from the Bible and was given their evidence that Jesus Christ died for our sins... Yet I didn't come out a Catholic (as I think true Catholics are too strict in their beliefs) - Instead I came out Church of Engand.

*For a Catholic Institution, I can gladly say that they seemed to reside in the 21st Century, unlike some that seem to be back in the 1800s. They never taught that homosexuality was right; yet they never spoke out against it either. They would offer guidance to anyone who came out as homosexual -- and as guidance I don't mean "It'll pass by" -- I mean the sort of "You're not an abomination. You can still follow Christs example of living a harmless life towards others."

So yes, I'll agree with you that some religious schools can seem indoctrinating and such -- but my Catholic one (which is now RC & CofE combined) allowed me to reside in a Community which felt closer and safer than some of the usual Comprehensive schools that I have observed in my area.
It's not the fact that everyone was religious and 'do-no-wrong' - because simply they weren't. It just seemed a close together and safe community, where many members actually done things that would make the Pope shiver. :wink:
NDGAARONDI
If Anglosaxon pagans didn't contribute to the foundations of what is our country we will be speaking Danish. Learn your history.

learn your grammar.
from that, **** off yeah? everyone knows how very clever you are to know that a long time ago we were pagan, but the basis of the current nation is christian. you can repeat yourself that it isnt all you like.
Reply 98
kevin_123
The reason that people send their children to private school is mainly due to state school not being good enough. Despite actually paying taxes that pay for the child's school, people still decide to send their children to private schools. Instead of taking away private schools, how about making state schools better, if state schools were better, I'm sure people have better things to spend £18,000 on than something they have already paid for through taxes. Also, having private schools puts more pressure (or should do) on state schools. The solution is NOT to take away private schools but to improve state schools which the government is failing at. Also on what grounds are you going to take away provate schools? "Your child isn't entitled to a good education, he has to go to the school that WE tell him to go"?

I would also like to point out that I have not gone to a private school as much as I would probably of liked to, but am going to make sure that I work hard (Like anyone has the ability and opportunity to do) to enable my child to have a good education. I will not let the governments failure affect my child's life. Improve state schools and there would be no need for private schools. The problem does not lie in private school. This "your children doesn't deserve better education" argument doesn't work.

If someone rich was dying and he decided to spend a large part of his money on some private doctor being flown in from Switzerland, are you going to say to him "Sorry, but you are not entitled to a better doctor then everyone else, you have to go to your local NHS?"

Thank you for a better argued point.

Yes, my suggestion would pull down the top schools, but it would also pull up the bottom ones. Ideally, all the state schools would be made as good as private schools, but this would be practically impossible when they draw students from deprived backgrounds and have far less money than their private counter-parts. Yes it's the government's failure, but failure is the only possible outcome when presented with an impossible task.

You seem to have the opinion than anyone can make a lot of money if they try hard. Whilst it's a lovely sentiment to have, it simply isn't true. Chance also plays a huge role.

I maintain my view that it should not be possible to buy children an unfair advantage.

As for the private healthcare thing, I think it's quite unrelated. (Education and healthcare are not the same thing.)

I would not prevent him from spending his money on himself no, although ideally, the healthcare system should not be so poor that he feels the need to do this.

A better analogy would be 'should he be able to buy his way up the NHS waiting list?' What do you think?

Oh, perhaps this is just semantics, but do you really think wealth makes a person's life more valuable? That's basically what you're saying by claiming that a rich person in ENTITLED to a better doctor.
Reply 99
paella
I don't see how stopping the people providing the best education, e.g. the private schools, is making things better. It wouldn't save any money. That's just bringing down everyone to the lowest common denominator, which history has shown means that no one gets anywhere.

I'm all for better education. But dragging everyone down to the same low standard, that's not the way to go. Everything is never going to be completely equal. What you're saying is principally that everyone should have their legs cut off to appear the same height.

Not the lowest common denominator, more pulling everything towards the mean. Some schools would get worse, and some better.

Separate note, when has history shown that dragging everyone down to the base level (not what I'm suggesting btw) gets people no-where?
This is an unrelated point, but I'm interested to know (I'm a scientist, haven't done any history since Y9)

A better analogy than your 'cutting off legs' one, would be sharing food more equally between the overfed and the starving. People would still grow to different heights and sizes, but at least everyone has a fairer chance of being taller/bigger.

Latest

Trending

Trending