The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Joint Honours: International Relations with Portuguese

I am interested in this course i had a look at on da Ucas site. It is a joint honours Bachelor but im not too sure on what that means. I am interested in Politics and History, so International Relations is looking quite attractive as a course. Plus i have always wanted to learn Portuguese, and i understand you can learn from scratch at the Uni. This is at Leeds Uni.

So could anyone get back to me on learning a language with barely any existing knowledge on it in Uni, and what the joint honours system ??
Reply 1
I am doing this course at the moment.
A Joint Honours course is one where you study a mixture of credits from two different degrees, but do less in each. So for example, this year (2nd) I am doing 60 credits from a list for Portuguese, and 40 credits in International Relations, with 20 credits of an elective (French). Your classes are ALL with people doing single honours (though there is no single honours Portuguese degree). It's a good course.

Leeds teaches Portuguese literally from scratch (you start with "hello") but if you want to keep up you'll need to have foreign language skills (understanding the concept of pronouns, conjugation, tenses, etc). Many people on the course already know Spanish, but not all (I know French).

Feel free to ask any more questions about this.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
modblues
I am doing this course at the moment.
A Joint Honours course is one where you study a mixture of credits from two different degrees, but do less in each. So for example, this year (2nd) I am doing 60 credits from a list for Portuguese, and 40 credits in International Relations, with 20 credits of an elective (French). Your classes are ALL with people doing single honours (though there is no single honours Portuguese degree). It's a good course.

Leeds teaches Portuguese literally from scratch (you start with "hello") but if you want to keep up you'll need to have foreign language skills (understanding the concept of pronouns, conjugation, tenses, etc). Many people on the course already know Spanish, but not all (I know French).

Feel free to ask any more questions about this.

Thanks modblues, that's great advice.
My dad is adamant (trust me you dnt want to know how serious/crazy he is) that i strive to do law, especially at 1 of Britian's top/respected unis. However, Im rele enjoy Politics atm, doing best in atm at skl, and for some reason Leeds has appealed to me since reading about it from students and the site. This course seems real attractive to me and people have given good feedback on it. I've always wanted to learn Portuguese, espec. cos i had to use my mum as translator when im on hols in Portugal, as im half portuguese. However, in order to persuade my dad and ultimately myself this is what i want to do and should now strive for. I need to know what are the career prospects of this course, and how respected is Leeds as a Uni to employers.

Thanks and sorry for the essay-type response lol
Reply 3
Leeds is obviously not Oxford, Cambridge or LSE, and employers will all have differing opinions. What I can tell you about is careers in interpreting and translation, if that interests you.

Latest