The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

FrancesO
Surely that's the point, that s/he would know this time around? :yep:

Good point :rolleyes:
might not have bothered. given the fact I'm not here for the job prospects.
I am starting again this year, actually. Did a year of uni and realised the course wasn't what I wanted to do at all so re-applied and I'm going in September.

I suppose I'd do lots differently, work a bit harder, but have more fun too. :smile:
Oh, and manage my money a bit better!
not much probably would have gone to the freshers party butwas hanging out with some flatmates..made up for it with the other freshers events. There is also refreshers week.All in all I'm having a great time.
I would have ignored the tiredness and expense of freshers week and just been to and done everything I possibly could have and met tonnes of new people. I'd have tried even harder to find a group of friends on my course. I'd have been more committed to the societies I joined and gone whether I felt like it or not so I'd have that group as well. I'd have not got into such bad habits regarding my lectures so early on.
Reply 25
Fail-To-Impress
I am starting again this year, actually. Did a year of uni and realised the course wasn't what I wanted to do at all so re-applied and I'm going in September.

I suppose I'd do lots differently, work a bit harder, but have more fun too. :smile:
Oh, and manage my money a bit better!

when was it during the course that you realised it wasn't for you?
Reply 26
I would have gone out more in first year.
Reply 27
Been more of a camera whore? I really enjoyed my first year in halls but with my crap memory i do forget things :rolleyes: . Would have liked to have some more pics of our antics but then again having a camera out all the time just ruins the moment.

Would I go back and do anything else differently though?

Hell no.
Reply 28
chris-carnage
How would you know which halls were the party halls?

With hindsight :wink: I thought the ones I was in were the party halls, but they weren't, they were just the nice sociable halls... maybe I was better off!
Reply 29
Hmm.... quite a bit actually. Not that I regret uni, but after 3 years Ive learnt some lessons.

Firstly I would have gone where my heart wanted to go and not my head. Academic qualifications are more inportant than where they came from. Both my choices were good Russel Grp. unis and I chose based on academic merit. I wish I had gone to the one I knew I would have enjoyed more.

Secondly I would have chosen more sociable halls.

Thirdly, join a club or society. I wish I had stuck at rugby in first year.

I would have probably taken a gap year, but im not sure. I wasnt ready then, but equally my university experaice would have benefited greatly had I take a year or 2 out, even if that was just working. I would have been much more focused and mature about my studies.

Dont turn down opportunities or make excuses. Life is much more interesting when you say yes, even if at times you wonder why your doing it. There doesnt need to be a good reason to do it, there just doesnt need to be a good reason NOT to do it.

On a similar note, you will never find cheaper or easier opportunities to do stuff you might never get the chance to do again. Take them.

Dont worry about money. If you've had a good time what more can you ask for? Getting a part time job can bring in £60 a week easily, which means that even as a student you can live a pretty good lifestyle.

Attend freshers events in both 2nd and 3rd years.

I know that makes me sound miserable, but im not. Ive loved uni, and its been fantastic, but there are still things I would change if I got the chance again.
chris-carnage
Would you do things differently, knowing what you do now?

Would have took french/ maths modules instead of stupid psychology ones. Probably would have ****** my ex off long before I did too but that's no biggie.

Erm, to be honest I'm where I am now so no point looking back really. Anyway, I don't do regrets :smile:
Reply 31
wouldnt have done much differently... def dont go for the expensive halls though, im in the cheap ones and im having the most fun ever. dont do regrets.

although saying that, i should have done a degree other than philosophy, but as it means i dont have much work to do, i have lots of time for other things :smile: win win really. every cloud has a silver lining.
Drank slightly less on the first night.
Reply 33
Does a lot of sex actually go on at unis or is it a myth?
Maybe change to a different economics course, and go out a bit more, had a great freshers though!! :smile:
Reply 35
Met cool people earlier, gone out more and taken more drugs.
Maturity
Does a lot of sex actually go on at unis or is it a myth?

It's not a myth.

I can't get to my religion lecture one a thursday without having to step over naked bodies in the middle of the corridors.
Reply 37
Been more outgoing.
Alll in all I've had a good time in uni. It could've been better on the sociable side of things. But I got stuck in last year and this year on the academic side. So I haven't really got any real complaints. Everything I did made me happy at the time. The only thing I regret doing is comparing myself to other people thinking they were having more of a "uni experience" then I was.

Do the things that interest you, not what you think you SHOULD be doing. Also take risks and try new activities, you never know what could happen.
GodspeedGehenna
I would have applied for medicine.

:ditto:

Although this would have meant I got my act together at school. If I was more interested at school I would most likely have applied - and knowing my capabilities - probably got in.

Latest

Trending

Trending