The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Infact most things with a designer label (not top noch designers) and white trainers is considered Chavish.
Reply 21
Wrong! CHAV does not stand for "council house and violent". It actually stands for CHeltenham AVerage and is what the delectable ladies at CLC called those who went to state schools. Whoever says it stands for anything else is wrong!
Reply 22
It has nothing to do with "trying to dress like a black person" - in the UK I would say its more about the peer-group you conform to that determines your identity! think about it - chavs can be black, white asian or whatever race!!

and chav is just another name for what was mod's and rockers in 60's, punks in the 80's, skin heads in the 70's (or whenever they were about!) - rebellious youth!! except these days the rebellious youth wouldn't think twice about sticking a knife in you for no apparent reason

worryin 'eh??
Reply 23
perhaps at the end of the class spectrum ud find the sloaneys
I'm actually suprised about the burberry. Here it's actually considered very fashionable, and it's what all the rich kids have. Umbrellas, bags, scarves. In the same class as louis vuitton. Of course, that's because it's really expensive. Fortunately I never much cared for any of that stuff. There's actually a burberry store in the really upclass mall in Dallas. Would lacoste stuff be consider chavvy? Again, considered fashionable but I avoid it.

Fake Burberry and LV have a bad name/image now because those damn chavs decided to taint the image of these brands to the point that many people won't buy the real things because they have been put off by the constant tasteless ripoffs.
ninevah
perhaps at the end of the class spectrum ud find the sloaneys

Sloaney girls may be annoying, but they certainly are pretty hot :biggrin: that's why I like hanging out in cafes in the Kings Road..
being considered a chav is not just about what you wear, its also about your attitude, If you go around swearing at people, harassing them, hanging around streets/shopping centres in big gangs staring at people, and shouting abuse, people are going to think you are a chav. driving around is tacky "modded" cars playing really loud music with tinted, or open windows, people will be suspicious of your chavviness as well.

If you are pleasent/friendly and wear a tracksuit with a baseball cap to a gym or to play sports, people might joke a bit with you about looking liek a chav, but they won't actually think you are one.
Looks like i might actually be closer to a sloaney. The navy blue polo jumper was on sale! I swear it!
Reply 28
CW Esq
Wrong! CHAV does not stand for "council house and violent". It actually stands for CHeltenham AVerage and is what the delectable ladies at CLC called those who went to state schools. Whoever says it stands for anything else is wrong!

actually, i would suggest that you are not quite right, there. i went to school in cheltenham until about 2 months ago, to pate's - the grammar school. considering that CLC is in montpellier (the poshest part of cheltenham) and pate's is in hester's way (the area in which a frightening number of the inhabitants do actually look like vicky pollard), i would suggest that the CLC girls are being a bit up themselves in claiming full responsibility for the word (in fact, i'd be amazed if some of them have even seen chavs). as such, i'd say that it's a pretty close call as to which school it actually came from - even within the first few months of my attending pate's i had heard the term and i was, for years, ridiculed every time i said it in front of someone who didn't go to the same school as me. just because CLC is famous, doesn't mean that they should get all the credit for the naming of a whole social group!

and, although it is completely irrelevant, why on earth are CLC girls thought to be so "delectable"? all the guys at my school seemed to think so too, but as far as i could see, they were forced to dress like giant bogies most of the time. :confused:
SirPimpsALittle
Like Ned Flanders? Or is that just a chav synonym?

Non-educated deliquants.
need_money

No wonder a friend of mine dropped out of Uni of Glasgow to come to Uni of London.
Reply 31
LittleMinx
I never knew it stood for anything, I just thought it was a word. Wow you learn something new and highly useful everyday! :smile:

Being called a chav is possibly the biggest insult.. dont wanna be mistaken for one no no

I totally disagree I'd want the ground to open up and swallow me if I was called a Grunger, Greebo, Goth, Rocker... I have a profound dislike for all of those types of people!!
Kuz
I totally disagree I'd want the ground to open up and swallow me if I was called a Grunger, Greebo, Goth, Rocker... I have a profound dislike for all of those types of people!!

Why? What exactly have they done anything against you?
CW Esq

No, it stands for neither.

I believe the OED has the word originating from, as Helenia says, a Romany Gypsy word.
Kuz

Once I find why you have a profound dislike I will continue this and compare it with other groupings of people and see if you like it.
chav stands for council housed and violent by the way

:rofl:
Reply 36
buttons7
actually, i would suggest that you are not quite right, there. i went to school in cheltenham until about 2 months ago, to pate's - the grammar school. considering that CLC is in montpellier (the poshest part of cheltenham) and pate's is in hester's way (the area in which a frightening number of the inhabitants do actually look like vicky pollard), i would suggest that the CLC girls are being a bit up themselves in claiming full responsibility for the word (in fact, i'd be amazed if some of them have even seen chavs). as such, i'd say that it's a pretty close call as to which school it actually came from - even within the first few months of my attending pate's i had heard the term and i was, for years, ridiculed every time i said it in front of someone who didn't go to the same school as me. just because CLC is famous, doesn't mean that they should get all the credit for the naming of a whole social group!

Well, I believe it's not actually from either, but in terms of the Cheltenham use (where it has been around a lot longer than anywhere else) - my cousins were at Pates and used it, so you could be right.

Oh, and boys like CLC girls because they're rich and slutty. Easy peasy (and so are they :p: by all accounts)
Reply 37
Helenia
Well, I believe it's not actually from either, but in terms of the Cheltenham use (where it has been around a lot longer than anywhere else) - my cousins were at Pates and used it, so you could be right.

Oh, and boys like CLC girls because they're rich and slutty. Easy peasy (and so are they :p: by all accounts)

well, i've got no idea where it came from, i just thought i should point out that CLC wasn't necessarily the first place to have started using it. i don't actually have anything against CLC, but i didn't like the "used to describe people who went to state schools" comment so i thought i'd stick my oar in. otherwise i would have left it.

everyone's cousins seem to go to pate's. my cousins' cousins went there.

and thank you. i always wondered because the bogey uniform doesn't exactly make them look slutty (particularly in comparison to most of the girls at pate's who, myself admittedly included, seem to work on the 'less is more' principle). it seems that perhaps they all lead double lives... shapeless and green by day, rich and easy by night.
That made Kuz quiet. Is it okay to make the same generalisations for black people, Muslims, homosexuals etc? I doubt it.
A chav also tucks his trousers into his socks. Heavens knows why.

Latest