The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

What is it like to be a UG management student at Warwick?

Hi guys,

I am thinking of going to study Bsc Management next year at Warwick and would really appreciate any current management students to give an overview of what the course is like?

I am particularly interested in knowing about how many exams you have in the summer and whether it is intense or not? Are there a lot of maths based modules involved? And is it a manageable course? (esp. considering the fact that I have not studied economics or accounting before, would I be able to cope do you think?)

Thanks so much!!!!!
And also especially how long the terms and holidays are like...

thanks!
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
I'd really appreciate an answer too :smile:
Reply 3
anyone.....????
Reply 4
I've got in Management too and would like to know :smile:
Reply 5
Write out simple easy to understand questions and i'll try and answer them.

Maths - 2 compulsory stats modules in first year. Open book exam, nothing to be particularly worried about. Even if you didnt do A level maths it should still be manageable. If you've done S1 + S2 then not a lot will be new.

Economics - 2 compulsory econ modules, one in first year, one to be taken either in 2nd or 3rd year. Again, nothing too taxing, not that mathematically focused. I didnt do econ at school, and dont like economics, but first year you only need to pass, second/3rd year, ok just take a bad mark and move on. If you were prepared to work a bit harder than I did then no reason why it should be difficult.

Terms are 10 week terms, 3rd term being exams. No reading weeks normally, occasionally the odd module might have reading week, but the department as a whole doesnt.

2nd and 3rd years are very optional, first year is all compulsory. in years 2 and 3 there are a few compulsory modules, I think there are 3 compulsory in 2nd year and 1 compulsory in 3rd year. On top of that the 2nd econ module has to be done in one of those 2 years. If you dont like maths, avoid the finance modules, if you dont like operations, avoid the operations modules. Tailor it to how you like.

Exams - some in january, some in june. 1st year mainly in june, 2nd/3rd years about a 50/50 spilt. I have 4 exams in june, and 3 pieces of coursework in before that. some modules are 100% exam, some 100% essay, some a mix of both.

Its not an overly difficult course, but people tend to pick modules they find easy or enjoyable anyway. I hated first year, felt like going over a lot of school stuff again but in a bad way, and they were all very abstract from each other. When you start to pick your own options and the modules all link together then it becomes a lot better. Each year you have a large group project to do, which is compulsory. They arnt very enjoyable really, 3rd year one is better than the rest.

The course is as wide as your interests, if you have a particular interest in finance, marketing, small business or whatever then you can take modules which you will enjoy or find useful. Some modules are very much maths based, most contain no maths what so ever.
Reply 6
Riderz
Write out simple easy to understand questions and i'll try and answer them.

Maths - 2 compulsory stats modules in first year. Open book exam, nothing to be particularly worried about. Even if you didnt do A level maths it should still be manageable. If you've done S1 + S2 then not a lot will be new.

Economics - 2 compulsory econ modules, one in first year, one to be taken either in 2nd or 3rd year. Again, nothing too taxing, not that mathematically focused. I didnt do econ at school, and dont like economics, but first year you only need to pass, second/3rd year, ok just take a bad mark and move on. If you were prepared to work a bit harder than I did then no reason why it should be difficult.

Terms are 10 week terms, 3rd term being exams. No reading weeks normally, occasionally the odd module might have reading week, but the department as a whole doesnt.

2nd and 3rd years are very optional, first year is all compulsory. in years 2 and 3 there are a few compulsory modules, I think there are 3 compulsory in 2nd year and 1 compulsory in 3rd year. On top of that the 2nd econ module has to be done in one of those 2 years. If you dont like maths, avoid the finance modules, if you dont like operations, avoid the operations modules. Tailor it to how you like.

Exams - some in january, some in june. 1st year mainly in june, 2nd/3rd years about a 50/50 spilt. I have 4 exams in june, and 3 pieces of coursework in before that. some modules are 100% exam, some 100% essay, some a mix of both.

Its not an overly difficult course, but people tend to pick modules they find easy or enjoyable anyway. I hated first year, felt like going over a lot of school stuff again but in a bad way, and they were all very abstract from each other. When you start to pick your own options and the modules all link together then it becomes a lot better. Each year you have a large group project to do, which is compulsory. They arnt very enjoyable really, 3rd year one is better than the rest.

The course is as wide as your interests, if you have a particular interest in finance, marketing, small business or whatever then you can take modules which you will enjoy or find useful. Some modules are very much maths based, most contain no maths what so ever.

Thnx for the info! Is there a limit to the number of optional courses I can take in the 2nd and 3d years?
Reply 7
matrix773
Thnx for the info! Is there a limit to the number of optional courses I can take in the 2nd and 3d years?

You take 120 CATs worth of modules every year. Most modules are 12 CAT, but some are 24 CAT. 24 CAT are "full weight" modules - they last all year, whereas 12 CAT ones are "half weight" which last for 1 term. So usually you do about 9 or 10 modules a year.

If you do modules from outside the list of options, which you can do if you really want, then you might get some funny weights. Quite a few modules have 15 CAT options for people from outside WBS, but WBS people very rarely do the 15 weighting. Its not an option per say, its a way of making the module fit with other courses. For example some of the other social sciences, psychology or whatever, might only do 4 or 5 modules a year with a much higher weighting, so if they wanted to do a WBS module then it will be weighted a bit differently. I wouldnt worry about it though - for what you want you'll be doing 12 or 24 CAT modules. First year is 10, 12 CAT modules, 3rd year has a compulsory 24 CAT module, so you can only do a maximum of 9 modules.

Latest