The Student Room Group

Keele/Liverpool/Peninsula?

Hi there everyone, hope y'all are good :smile:

I've been in a very fortuanate position and have received offers from Keele, Liverpool and Peninsula.

HOwever, now ive been put in a very difficult position and dnt have a clue who to accept....

It would be great if any current medics at the unis could give me the low down on their school? what they like about the course, what they dislike, the uni in general, social life, etc etc......

all help would be much appreciated

:smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Basically

Keele

Pro - Dissection
Con - Location

PMS
Pro - Location
Con - Practially no anatomy is taught
vas876
Basically

Keele

Pro - Dissection
Con - Location

PMS
Pro - Location

What made you choose Peninsula over Kings?
And why have Kings as an insurance if your offer is unconditional? :s-smilie:
Reply 3
legen...dary
What made you choose Peninsula over Kings?
And why have Kings as an insurance if your offer is unconditional? :s-smilie:

No they are conditional on CRB< ISA and OCH.

So it let me choose and insurance, so i thought meh why not. Even though its deline really.

Kings was the foundation programme and longer, and these cons are worse than peninsulas cons.
vas876
No they are conditional on CRB< ISA and OCH.

So it let me choose and insurance, so i thought meh why not. Even though its deline really.

Kings was the foundation programme and longer, and these cons are worse than peninsulas cons.

But Peninsula don't even teach anatomy? That's a massive con. You can't learn anatomy via virtual learning. I think they should at least use pro sections.
Reply 5
The course here... hmm. Sometimes I think it's great, sometimes I get bogged down with the unnecessary PC stuff we have to do (though I imagine this happens at most schools).

Good things:
* Combination of lectures and self-directed stuff (I'm lumping PBL with that) I really like. The lectures give you a guide, but the self-directed learning gives you the time to digest it and discuss it in groups in PBL.
* If dissection is your thing, then you'll have two hours of it every week here.
* Decent choice (and you can suggest your own) of SSCs in year one, not sure about year two.
* I like the layout of the course: normal function in year one; pathology in years two and three and then clinical work in the final two years.
* In first year we've had plenty of placements, so the majority of the year are comfortable talking to patients already, which I think's pretty useful for when we start learning on wards alot of the time (year three onwards).

Bad things:
* They seem to like testing us (in exams that contribute to us progressing into year two) on relatively pointless things that we'll seldom use as a doctor in our first year OSSEs. Microscopy (leaving aside histopathology etc.); random bacterial stuff using agar dishes; typing blood using high school esque techniques; spectrophotometry.
* If you knew the psychosocio stuff 100% and knew hardly any of the science, you could've passed the January exams. I think that's fairly weak.
* In anatomy the amount you learn is largely down to the tutor you get allocated. Some tutors are really good, in which case you learn loads, but with others who aren't so good, you're a step behind everyone else. I noticed this after having really good tutors in semester one and then having a weaker one for the beginning of semester two.
* I imagine alot of medical schools study histology this way, but using microscopes to do it is poor in my opinion. I'd rather self-study it in the time we spend staring down microscopes. People just tend to switch off.

That's all I can think of at the moment.

vas876
Keele
Pro - Dissection
Con - Location

I actually think the work we do with prosections is way better for actually learning the material.

vas876
PMS
Pro - Location

Really? I always got the impression that the location (at least Plymouth) left alot to be desired.
Reply 6
Kinkerz
Really? I always got the impression that the location (at least Plymouth) left alot to be desired.

No the location is ****, but compared to the middle of a field. :p:
Reply 7
vas876
No the location is ****, but compared to the middle of a field. :p:

Ah, fair enough.

I actually quite like the countryside style of the campus. It's refreshing :p:
Reply 8
legen...dary
But Peninsula don't even teach anatomy? That's a massive con. You can't learn anatomy via virtual learning. I think they should at least use pro sections.

They basically springboard anatomy. Its only the basics that are covered, and the basics are taught by 3D models, virtual imaging and radiography.
Reply 9
Kinkerz
Ah, fair enough.

I actually quite like the countryside style of the campus. It's refreshing :p:

Then again i prefer a cross between, the seaside, the country and a city. And Plymouth does it for me.
vas876
They basically springboard anatomy. Its only the basics that are covered, and the basics are taught by 3D models, virtual imaging and radiography.

Ah no, that's not good. I do Biomedical Science and have done cadaver dissection on the human body. The thing is, images in books look very neat and when it comes to looking at the actual cadaver or pro section, they aren't as neat as they seem in the book. I have some good links which show gross anatomy dissection which might be useful to you especially, seeing as you won't be dissecting. Just PM if you want them.
legen...dary
Ah no, that's not good. I do Biomedical Science and have done cadaver dissection on the human body. The thing is, images in books look very neat and when it comes to looking at the actual cadaver or pro section, they aren't as neat as they seem in the book. I have some good links which show gross anatomy dissection which might be useful to you especially, seeing as you won't be dissecting. Just PM if you want them.

Iv seen gross dissection on video, but being there and doing it is a totally different thing.

Ill be one of those people who are going to try and organise dissection during SDL with some others. There are bound to be more people interested in it.

On another note, HIMYM is amazing!
vas876
Iv seen gross dissection on video, but being there and doing it is a totally different thing.

Ill be one of those people who are going to try and organise dissection during SDL with some others. There are bound to be more people interested in it.

On another note, HIMYM is amazing!

I guess I'll register my interest early then :biggrin: I'd like to do this, grades permitting of course.
Reply 13
As a city boy from London, I am by no means a party animal, but a vibrant, varied social scene would definitely be a plus :smile:
What is it like at Keele Kinkerz and anyone else?
Reply 14
3 POINT STEVE
As a city boy from London, I am by no means a party animal, but a vibrant, varied social scene would definitely be a plus :smile:
What is it like at Keele Kinkerz and anyone else?

Are you purely focusing on night life here? Or do you mean things to do in the day to pass time as well?
Reply 15
everything really; night life, social sport.... All the other things you'd want from the uni experience which isnt academic......
Reply 16
3 POINT STEVE
everything really; night life, social sport.... All the other things you'd want from the uni experience which isnt academic......

Well, I'm not even a big drinking person, but it's quite disappointing on that front. The union is pretty decent for a union, to be honest, but other than that, it's fairly week. Though many of the halls (Barnes, Horwood, Lindsay, Hawthorns) have their own bars.

Don't really know what you mean by 'social support', because I've never really looked into it, but the medical school specifically is supposed to have a really good student support system if that's what you're mean. 'Social support' is quite a vague term in my experience and don't know exactly what it means.

The sport scenario isn't bad. Though I can't really compare to others. But you can take up most sports and the facilities aren't too bad.

In general the area's a bit flat, and coming from London it may well be a shock to the system. It's been described as "like living on a lively farm", which I think's quite accurate.
Reply 17
Sorry bout that, was meant to be social, sport, lol......

Thanks for the info kinkerz... " a lively farm".... well, not too sure what to make of that hahaha...
2bh, that's the only thing preventing me from firming Keele this minute. I absolutely love the medical school, the teaching, everyone seemed so genuine and friendly there....
But to spend 5+ years on a lively farm? Do you think its worth it?
Reply 18
3 POINT STEVE
Sorry bout that, was meant to be social, sport, lol......

Thanks for the info kinkerz... " a lively farm".... well, not too sure what to make of that hahaha...
2bh, that's the only thing preventing me from firming Keele this minute. I absolutely love the medical school, the teaching, everyone seemed so genuine and friendly there....
But to spend 5+ years on a lively farm? Do you think its worth it?

You only spend the first two years on campus.

Third year you go off to the clinical education centre next to the hospital and fourth and fifth years can be spent in Shropshire and Shrewsbury!
Reply 19
true!! are u personally happy u made the decision to go to keele or do u think ud be happier at another medical? soory for all the questions lol but im findin this a very difficult choice !

Latest

Trending

Trending