The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Leaving after exams?

I know I'm going to sound like a boring old fart here, but is it possible to go home after your last exam and just return to register on the last day of term? (Do the uni ever need to know you're not in your room? Leave your stuff there until the last day/hand key in when you come to register?) Or does essential stuff get organised in between? (I'm switching courses next year, so won't have any pre-lectures for Year 2...)

I've read that they're the most fun weeks of the year and all that, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. I hated Freshers week. I live in a really awful corridor - people being sick everywhere, smashing stuff up, selling drugs and waking me up at 4am every day, all the way through term.

I don't drink at uni much, I prefer to go out with my friends at home. I don't have many close friends at uni - about 4 in total maybe? And only 2 are from my college. My boyfriend lives back at home, and I miss him terribly when he's not around - same with all of my lovely friends! It sounds like the last 3 weeks are just a drunken party I'd rather miss, or have I got it wrong?

I'd love to leave early. Absolutely love it. Think I'm allowed? Or think I shouldn't?
Why don't you just wait until you're into one week of the celebrations, then go home? You can bugger off whenever you want, in my experience, so long as you are there for registering. Just check with others in your college because I only really know what goes on at Grey in those 3 weeks!

Just give them a chance, you never know with all that exam stress gone you may find time to make closer friends with some more people. And Ok at night there'll be a lot of drinking but I don't really go out much or drink at all (much to the disappointment of my friends lol) and there's only really one or two people I am really really close to, so I know what you mean. I wanted to go home early last year as I get home sick easily, but the 3 weeks were immense; lying out on the grass in the sun, wandering into town, watching DVDs in the afternoon: ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no exam stress :smile:

try not to get too worried/make a decision now :biggrin:

p.s. no-one I knew really enjoyed freshers week!!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
There's nothing really to stop you from going home, but those weeks can be really fun so I don't know if I'd recommend it. It's not as drink-heavy as freshers' week anyway. I think I spent lots of it just lying around outside in the sun. It is a glorious time.

As far as the friend thing goes, have you thought about joining some societies? I know it might seem kind of late in the year but some of them might give you some fun stuff to do over June and you'll meet some new people and all that. You are gonna have to spend another two or three years here, after all.
Reply 3
It is, as far as I'm aware, possible (college isn't a prison after all!). They aren't going to chain you up. But I wouldn't recommend it.

As gh said, it won't be as drink heavy. It's a great time to just spend relaxing. Even if you don't want to get involved in new societies and events, just head off to the river with a book and read in the (hopefully) glorious sunshine. Or spend the time chilling out. Maybe leave Durham and spend the time travelling around the region and getting out and about. It's a very free time. Don't think everyone just spends their time drinking and getting high.

That said, if you really are having a miserable time in college and would appreciate the break then go ahead. Just make sure you are back well in time for registration (if you miss it you put your chances at taking the modules you want to take at risk and will also face a late registration fee). You can try applying for special permission to register early, meaning you can register soon after exams and then head off home for the entire summer. But priotity is usually given to those who have family or other commitments which means they need to be home.
Thing is, I'm moving into my house for next year on July 1st anyway, so I feel like that's going to be my summer to lounge around in the sun and explore. Hmm.
Reply 5
thejadedwords
I know I'm going to sound like a boring old fart here, but is it possible to go home after your last exam and just return to register on the last day of term? (Do the uni ever need to know you're not in your room? Leave your stuff there until the last day/hand key in when you come to register?) Or does essential stuff get organised in between? (I'm switching courses next year, so won't have any pre-lectures for Year 2...)

I've read that they're the most fun weeks of the year and all that, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy it. I hated Freshers week. I live in a really awful corridor - people being sick everywhere, smashing stuff up, selling drugs and waking me up at 4am every day, all the way through term.

I don't drink at uni much, I prefer to go out with my friends at home. I don't have many close friends at uni - about 4 in total maybe? And only 2 are from my college. My boyfriend lives back at home, and I miss him terribly when he's not around - same with all of my lovely friends! It sounds like the last 3 weeks are just a drunken party I'd rather miss, or have I got it wrong?

I'd love to leave early. Absolutely love it. Think I'm allowed? Or think I shouldn't?

The last 3 weeks are not just a drunken party. You don't have to do anything you don't want to, and all sorts of people will be doing all sorts of different things. Join some societies or something, they'll be doing all sorts of events that you could get involved in!
Reply 6
If you let college know, they won't have a problem with you leaving. You could just leave and not tell them, but if they do discover you're away, you might get fined for taking you key etc. Plus, without sounding like a bigger bore, they need to know you are off campus for health/safety ie. fire alarms, security etc.
what college are you at ?
Reply 8
I hated freshers' week, but I've always had a really lovely end of year :smile:. It's not nearly as drink-fuelled - don't' worry.
Crimsonchilli
what college are you at ?

Van Mildert
My friends in second and third year have said it's perfectly possible to leave - quite a few of them went on holiday for a week and then came back for the other two (as holidays are so much cheaper). Apparently it's just a really relaxed time when you can completely choose what you want to do.

I'm going on holiday for a week, then going to go back, hopefully sit in the sun, properly explore Newcastle, maybe visit some of the open areas of the north east.
Reply 11
Last year I went to Hong Kong for a week after exams :p:
I never thought on going on holiday during those three weeks, that'd be awesome. It's funny because at that time of year because of student loan instalments and fewer rent months to pay, I actually have more money than any other time of the year, so it'd be perfect time to do it. Not sure any of my friends would be up for it though and I don't want to go anywhere on my own! Last year I went and visited relatives during those 3 weeks, thats how cool I am! :biggrin:
Ahh, feeling so much better about this now I know I'm not the only one thinking about going elsewhere :biggrin: I've already started planning days out with friends in my head, mwahah :smile:
*River
Last year I went to Hong Kong for a week after exams :p:

Wow, I'd love to go to hong kong, which bit did you go to?

Mind if I asked who you booked with? All the travel agent websites I've been on have 3 or 4 day holidays to hong kong as standard, but as it's a long flight I think only going for a few days would be a waste really!
Reply 15
angelmxxx
Wow, I'd love to go to hong kong, which bit did you go to?

Mind if I asked who you booked with? All the travel agent websites I've been on have 3 or 4 day holidays to hong kong as standard, but as it's a long flight I think only going for a few days would be a waste really!

Expedia :smile:. I loves it! We stayed up in the New Territories because we wanted chill as well as bustle but there was a free shuttle bus down to TST in Kowloon. TBH, Hong Kong is cheap at that time of year but it's reallllly hot and humid, so you'll probably find that you're quite limited in the amount of stuff that you can face doing each day.

Latest