The Student Room Group
Reply 1
conway!
I realise being in the hogwarts bit will do nothing to further my education, but still, I hope I am
I'm doing modern languages, french & italian, and i THINK that's in the hetherington building. is it the amazing old buildings?

No, the Modern Language building is next to the Queen Margaret Union. It's on University Gardens. I don't think it's one of the house-type buildings either, but it's not in the main building. Business and geography are the only departments to be based in there. You are, however, very likely to have exams in the main building.

also, just worrying slightly that everyone i've spoken to has called me a snob for wanting to go to glasgow - is it as snobby as people say or are they just being stupid?

I'm not quite sure where Glasgow gets this reputation from, but it's not really true. Yes, it's the 'traditional' university in the city, but it's still populated largely by students from the west coast, ie, not snobbish by any stretch of the imagination. Glasgow students are usually called snobs for a bit of banter, especially when talking to other (usually Strathclyde) students
Reply 2
Statistically, there's more students there from well-off backgrounds, whose parents were university educated, and/or who went to private schools than any other university in the city- indeed only St Andrews and Edinburgh have more. To some people that equates with snobbery- you can make your own mind up on that one, my personal opinion is that it does not. The above is correct- it's usually for a bit of banter with the students from Glasgow Technical College of Cookery, or whatever Strathclyde University is calling itself these days.

You'll probably only have exams plus Freshers/Graduation in the main building, although they are looking at moving more classes there. There's a couple of lecture theatres in there too, so you might have a lecture or two. Modern Languages have moved out of the building next to the QM I think- that's becoming part of the Law school since Glasgow is teaching the diploma on its own now rather than sharing with Strath. Hetherington is up near the Adam Smith, and has recently been extended. It isn't the prettiest part of campus.

To be quite honest with you, I have half of my current course's classes in here: http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/all-souls-college-oxford-gb1171.jpg , and the other half here: http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/images/george_street_school.jpg . The novelty of that wore off after about four weeks, and now no one cares. Being in a nice building to look at is all well and good, but when said building doesn't have windows that open, is noisy, and the computers don't work, you stop caring.
Reply 3
0404343m
You'll probably only have exams plus Freshers/Graduation in the main building, although they are looking at moving more classes there. There's a couple of lecture theatres in there too, so you might have a lecture or two. Modern Languages have moved out of the building next to the QM I think- that's becoming part of the Law school since Glasgow is teaching the diploma on its own now rather than sharing with Strath. Hetherington is up near the Adam Smith, and has recently been extended. It isn't the prettiest part of campus.

To be quite honest with you, I have half of my current course's classes in here: http://www.planetware.com/i/photo/all-souls-college-oxford-gb1171.jpg , and the other half here: http://www.history.ox.ac.uk/images/george_street_school.jpg . The novelty of that wore off after about four weeks, and now no one cares. Being in a nice building to look at is all well and good, but when said building doesn't have windows that open, is noisy, and the computers don't work, you stop caring.

Ah yeah, the building next to library/across from the Adam Smith. Forgot about that. It's definitely not the worst looking building around. The Adam Smith might win that award...

I agree about being in a nice building. I'm based in the main building and the inside bears little resemblance to the outside. And lately it has been a pain in the arse with the scaffolding and needing to walk right around the quad. Sure, it's great to be in a nice building and to be able to go for a walk on a break, but that's not really that important in the grand scheme of things.
Reply 4
I heard the same as you about Glasgow being for snobs but while I've met a lot of people who are what I'd consider to be posh, nobody has shown a snobbish attitude towards me or been ignorant because of my pretty strong local accent. It's a bit of a myth, I've not known anyone to be treated differently.

Latest