The Student Room Group

Johns Hopkins Univ session in London 5/9 - Worth going?

I recently saw that Johns Hopkins University is doing a university admissions presentation in London in May for university. I'm thinking of going to learn more about the university, thought I know it's incredibly hard to be admitted there. It's on a Sunday and I have the time though it will take me some time to get to the place. I'm in Lower Sixth right now.

Has anyone ever been to one of these programs and are they worth going to? What did they talk about? Thanks.
Reply 1
If you really want to study there, you should go. Nothing to lose right?
If I were you I would definitely go.
Boooooooooo!! Hopkins sucks!! Their lacrosse team blows!!

All Hopkins lacrosse-hating aside, yes, you should definitely go. Hopkins is a great school. As medic101 said, you don't really have anything to lose. If anything, you'll learn whether or not studying in the US is really something you want to pursue.
Reply 3
I did some research and found that it appears to be an admissions person doing the program. Am I allowed to go and not ask questions? I know just a little bit about the school but not too much so I'm not sure I'll have questions to ask. I think I just want to hear the presentation and learn about getting an offer, or at least how it works.

This is the link they sent me: http://apply.jhu.edu/visit/explorehopkins.html and it appears they do a bunch of them so I guess I can just go and learn. I have to ask my mom if she can take me on a Sunday...

London, England
Date: Sunday, May 9
Time: 2:00-3:30 p.m.
Location The American School in London (directions)

Is anyone else planning on going?
Ask the admissions person how their lacrosse team is doing this year. :biggrin:
Reply 5
Certainly you should go if you have an interest. Not only will it give you a better sense of what Hopkins is like but also a better sense of what an American university is like.

What can you expect? Probably a brief slide show or video with views of the campus, an explanation of what is required for application with perhaps some statistics and hints about what makes a strong application, probably some time on topics of particular interest or confusion to UK students, and an opportunity to pose questions. There might be time to meet the presenter afterward, too.

No, you don't have to have questions, but you could a few prepared in case they are not covered. And it doesn't hurt to introduce yourself to the presenter after the session is over, either, maybe with a question of particularly personal interest. Oftentimes s/he will be the one reading your application should you decide to apply.

Some suggested questions:
--What kinds of adjustments do you see UK admits needing to make?
--What are residence halls like (single or shared room, mixed gender, mixed age/class)? How many students live on campus? Where do those who don't live on campus reside?
--What is your four-year graduation rate?
--What are the prospects for an international student to receive financial aid?
--Do students tend to stay near campus or do they often leave for class/work/entertainment? Is public transportation easily available?
--What is it like to study <your area of interest>?
Reply 6
Thank you so much. This is all very helpful.
Reply 7
It was a great program - thanks for the advice who encouraged me to go. I think I may apply in the fall.

Latest

Trending

Trending