The Student Room Group

What subjects should I take to do Politics at Univeristy?

Basically, im thinking of taking Sociology, Government and Politics and psychology through till A level. i have one more option..
should i take English lit (which i would rather not take) or Art (which i really want to take) but i need to impress the uni's out there...

and also would uni's mind all these social sciences? basically what subjects will best get me into a politics degree? and should i take art or english?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
sociology at a level is a joke, not really impressive to uni's, easy to do well in. As for art, I dont see the connection. Take economics or something. History would be pretty good as well. Take those to and forget the sociology is my advice.
Reply 2
Well it depends on what uni you are targeting. But in general, Politics and History would be good. And depending on your targeted range of unis Eco/Math or English lit could be helpful.
Reply 3
Well, at oxford they do a course called PPE (Philosophy, Politics and Economics) which is something alot of prime ministers and top political journalists have done. Maybe those 3 and history would be the best choices? Definatley economics though.
Reply 4
Oh and at oxford you can drop one of those subjects after year one, so effectively you are doing just philosophy and politics but you get a degree in PPE :wink:
Reply 5
I think the humanities subjects are the ones that are easiest to link to politics. Government and Politics, History, Philosophy, Economincs, Geography and Business Studies but particularly the first four.
Putting them aside I think either English Language or English Literature would be useful as there is alot of skills they require which would carry over into Politics, I think Literature is seen as more impressive by most universities.
I'm not so sure about sociology as it tends to be seen as a weaker subject.

To be honest with you though I don't think Politics courses are that specific about what A levels they require so take the ones you enjoy.
Drop sociology for history, and have a think about Philosophy and English aswell.
Reply 7
I did English, History and Politics, and kinda found that they all linked so well. I got 5 offers from good universities to study straight politics. I found that, especially during A2, my Edexcel History course was almost entirely about Politics, studying the growth of British politics in the 19th century, and also the civil rights movement in America. In English, we did study a lot of context- learnt a lot about the nature of war, oppression etc. All of these really furthered my study of Politics a-level.

I do have a couple of friends in my politics class who do sociology too and there were some elements of sociology during AS, e.g. attitudes towards politics, crime, education etc. However for A2, we're solely studying International relations, and the things I've picked up from my other A-levels, especially History are really helping me along.

Having said all that, do whatever you want.
Reply 8
History goes well with politics depending on the exam board. I didn't actually take politics as an option for A level, but as there is a lot of cross over between the two topics, my history class has one politics lesson a fortnight and are sitting the exams.
Reply 9
I guess:

English lit
Economics
History
Politics
Philosophy

Thats if you can handle five, if not, drop philosophy if your planning to do straight politics and not PPE.
History should be a must. Politics as well obviously.
Reply 11
I've heard art is super time consuming so could maybe compromise the time for your other subjects. I did Sociology as and loved it, I think anyone interested in studying politics would find it interesting. History does go well with poltics and universitys will consider history or english lit to be more "academic" than sociology, politics and psychology (art too) so i would definitely consider at least one of the more traditional "academic" subjects to go along with the subjects you are considering
history politics economics philosophy.
POlitics plus any 1/2 more.
Any really.

What I'm doing is in my profile.

History // Eng // Pol + what ever you enjoy = win.
They honestly don't care. G&P isn't required at all, I didn't take it.
Bubbles*de*Milo
They honestly don't care. G&P isn't required at all, I didn't take it.

so they don't say they prefer you to take politics or any humanities?
9MmBulletz
so they don't say they prefer you to take politics or any humanities?

Well they prefer some sort of humanities sub, and most people on my course at least did History if not Politics, but it's not a pre-req or anything. You don't have to have taken it, they're not that fussed.
Are Govt and Politics and Philosophy and Ethics (both edexcel) considered "soft" subjects?
My school told me not to take them because I had already taken Geography which they said was a "soft" subject as welll :s-smilie:
History, English literature, politics, maths and economics.
there you go.
Reply 19
In all likelihood you'll be fine with any of the combinations put forward so far; a lot of people on my course didn't take Politics at A-Level and had no problems getting a place. Personally, I took Politics, History and Law and got 6 offers to study Politics at degree level.

Latest

Trending

Trending