The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I hope your parents are loaded...
Mick.w
But I would like. I'd love to do a degree over there or perhaps a masters. But I've got to say I'm finding all the info abit overwhelming and im not quite sure how to break it down step by step and know where to start. any advice tips or help would be greatly valued as its always been a hope of mine to study in america.

I guess you can start by thinking about what you actually want to study. See which schools are the best, or are at least decent for the program. Then think about location, big city, small college town, a bit of both? Then as the person above noted, think about whether you could afford it. If not, consider funding options. This works a bit different for undergrad and postgrad, but generally this is where to start I guess.
Reply 3
drive like june
I guess you can start by thinking about what you actually want to study. See which schools are the best, or are at least decent for the program. Then think about location, big city, small college town, a bit of both? Then as the person above noted, think about whether you could afford it. If not, consider funding options. This works a bit different for undergrad and postgrad, but generally this is where to start I guess.

ive got my subject chosen. but all the universities are saying "hey we're the best" so its hard to see through the haze. also im the opposite of loaded so i guess id have to find those funding options. another thing thats slightly confuseing is i cant seem to find a BA In Whatever on the websites it seems to be diffrent system. like you still do other subjects but major in something. but over here i focoused all my strengths into the one subject. im getting the vibe that my national diploma isnt worth much to the yanks
Reply 4
drive like june

THis person gives you very good advice... The good thing or bad (depends on your point of view) about US universities, is that you are spoiled for choice, there will be one that could cater to all your wishes, the trick is to find one that will give you what you need academically as well as socially...

The trick is deciding what you want to study, where you would like to study, how much you will be willing to pay, state versus private, climate & social environment, big vs. small...

Any idea where you want to go?

Here are a couple of links that should help you:

http://www.app2us.com/

http://www.universitylanguage.com/guides/applying-to-a-university-in-the-united-states/

http://www.usastudyguide.com/

http://www.schoolguides.com/
OMGYOUSPELTUNIVERSITIESWRONG

Going to America to study is really expensive. My friends sister is there it and it costs her like $20,000 per YEAR, but she's doing it in Medicine so she'll be able to pay it back easier once she's finished.

Congrats on your riches btw.
Feel free to PM me with any questions! I have gone through the ringer with US universities and am pretty familiar with rankings, application processes, etc. :o:
laurenl93

My friends sister is there it and it costs her like $20,000 per YEAR.

Haha, she's getting off EASY! Quite a few of my friends are paying $50,000 per year. Mine comes to about $30,000 per year total, including room/board/tuition/books/living expenses
Reply 8
sarahtownsend
Haha, she's getting off EASY! Quite a few of my friends are paying $50,000 per year. Mine comes to about $30,000 per year total, including room/board/tuition/books/living expenses

Sarah where are you studying?
Reply 9
sarahtownsend

i terms of what i want to study i enjoy general arts and media:
Music Production
Acting
Film production
Theatre
Fine Art
Creative Writing
Fashion Design
Radio and TV Broad Casting

That type of thing.

In terms of location id love to go to university somewhere with nice weather lol. like Gerogia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, North/South Carolina or California. I love the southern state culture. in terms of envoirment i love cultured and mixed people from all religious, racial and economic back grounds. i tend not to like posher places as i dont get on well with their clientele.
vnupe
Sarah where are you studying?

I was studying at Durham, but I'm transferring to University of Michigan and starting this august! :biggrin:
Reply 11
The Fulbright institute is really good on this sort of thing. I would really recommend going to one of their seminars on undergraduate study in the US (http://www.fulbright.co.uk/advising-events/seminars). I went there last year, and it was really helpful and informative :smile:
Mick.w
i terms of what i want to study i enjoy general arts and media:
Music Production
Acting
Film production
Theatre
Fine Art
Creative Writing
Fashion Design
Radio and TV Broad Casting

That type of thing.

In terms of location id love to go to university somewhere with nice weather lol. like Gerogia, Florida, Tennessee, Mississippi, Louisiana, Texas, North/South Carolina or California. I love the southern state culture. in terms of envoirment i love cultured and mixed people from all religious, racial and economic back grounds. i tend not to like posher places as i dont get on well with their clientele.

Well, since it looks like you're going into more artsy areas, I would definitely recommend California. Especially for acting, music/film production, fashion design and broadcasting. You're going to have better, more connected departments out there as southern California is our entertainment capital! It IS going to be posher out there though, it always is. If the "posh" aspect is really that important to you, the South is going to be your best bet, but you're going to have to deal with people who aren't as tolerant of "religious, racial and economic backgrounds." It's a generalization of Southern culture, but it is true in a lot of cases.
Reply 13
Good luck doing the SATs. Craziest exams I've ever studied for. Learnt about 500 new words that will have no use in my life just to ace the test then get rejected. lol. but go for it. lol. Choice of school depends on what caliber of school you want. The best ofcourse are IV league but theres other good liberal art colleges. What course you want to do?
Reply 14
sarahtownsend
I was studying at Durham, but I'm transferring to University of Michigan and starting this august! :biggrin:

CONGRATS! Univ. of Mich is a great university, you will get a world class education.. also if you want to be awed, go to a football game, even if they are rebuilding this year, the atmosphere is unmatched! Uni in the US is different than in the UK on the undergrad level... A squared (Ann Arbor) is supposed to be the ultimate college town :smile:
Reply 15
sarahtownsend

how can you afford it?
Lit Up!
how can you afford it?

massive amounts of debt, my friend, MASSIVE! I am planning on going to medical school after undergrad as well, so I'm essentially going to be in debt for life :p:
Reply 17
hmm its hard to deside which uni would suit me since its all online and every college is gonna say their the dogs balls. its pretty hard to go on an open day in america from the uk
Mick.w
hmm its hard to deside which uni would suit me since its all online and every college is gonna say their the dogs balls. its pretty hard to go on an open day in america from the uk

This should help :smile:

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/national-universities
Reply 19
sarahtownsend
massive amounts of debt, my friend, MASSIVE! I am planning on going to medical school after undergrad as well, so I'm essentially going to be in debt for life :p:

where do you get the loans?

Latest

Trending

Trending