The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Is it hard? No. You can be pretty crap at it and still get a bad grade.
Do Universities take it? They take it, but it's not very well respected nor do any universities want it over anything else.

If you're interested in programming learn it in your own time. I want to study Computer Science at Uni, and having programmed for many years, I totally regret taking it. Universities don't give a **** about it, and it is generally regarded as a weak subject. Oh, and also, most Computing teachers suck because they are IT teachers trying to teach stuff that's beyond their area of expertise.
Reply 2
Some of the Maths courses I applied to said Computing could be helpful but was far from necessary. Eventually I ended up wishing I hadn't taken it because the coursework was HUGE. Seriously, make sure you see someone else's previously marked coursework just so you can appreciate what you're getting into before you jump in.
Lmao I got a B at A-Level computing without even doing the coursework...
Reply 4
Surely the coursework is a decent indication of whether you will like the subject or not? I'm doing a pathfinding project in a shopping centre and I'm really looking forward to it.
Reply 5
dont take it, take further maths instead.
Reply 6
It really depends on what course you're gonna study in university...If you're going to study engineering, then I suggest you take it...the projects can get quite annoying but I managed to get an A...and I hate computers :tongue:
If you have done some programming and if you are comfortable with it do it otherwise DONT, I am finding this subject harder than my all other subjects and I do Maths, Further Maths and Physics

i didnt have any experience of programming before doing this subject but I have to say its quite fun when you understand it and when you know what you are doing.

And also ask previous students hows the teaching in your college, that will have a big effect on ur grade, I have two teachers and one of them doesnt know **** about computing
I did A2 Computing and to be honest, found it more difficult than three years of oceanography. Mainly because sitting in a hot, sweaty computer room hammering out line after line of Pascal and pissing about in Delphi 7 got truly, mind-numbingly boring.

All the Uni's I applied to accepted it without a problem and it got me my gap year job. Worth pursuing if you fancy dedicating a disproportionate amount of your life to coding, designing and utterly tedious black and white box testing.
Reply 9
freefrag
dont take it, take further maths instead.

This.

NotQuiteCornish
I did A2 Computing and to be honest, found it more difficult than three years of oceanography. Mainly because sitting in a hot, sweaty computer room hammering out line after line of Pascal and pissing about in Delphi 7 got truly, mind-numbingly boring.

All the Uni's I applied to accepted it without a problem and it got me my gap year job. Worth pursuing if you fancy dedicating a disproportionate amount of your life to coding, designing and utterly tedious black and white box testing.

Did you happen to have a lecturer called Bob, or Conan?
Reply 10
war833
Is it hard? No. You can be pretty crap at it and still get a bad grade.
Do Universities take it? They take it, but it's not very well respected nor do any universities want it over anything else.

Although it's not required for anything - and this is a reflection of how few colleges offer computing A level rather than its reputation - it is thought of as useful by many universities for computing courses, and conveys to any computer course related admissions tutor an interest, and is a relevant A level.

war833
If you're interested in programming learn it in your own time. I want to study Computer Science at Uni, and having programmed for many years, I totally regret taking it. Universities don't give a **** about it, and it is generally regarded as a weak subject. Oh, and also, most Computing teachers suck because they are IT teachers trying to teach stuff that's beyond their area of expertise.

I've never really heard it regarded as a weak subject. It's clearly not got the reception of an A level in say maths, physics or chemistry, but it's not going to be a negative point on a good application.

Also speak for your own college in regard to teaching. My computing teacher is probably the most experienced of all my teachers.

I think it's an okay A level, especially as an extra. After all, if you want to study a subject that conveys an interest in computers, you can choose between computing and ICT, of which computing would surely be preferred.
treemantris

Did you happen to have a lecturer called Bob, or Conan?

Both, as it goes! :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending