The Student Room Group

Reading recommendations?

Hi all,

Going to have a very long and laid-back summer this year after GCSEs, looking forward to doing a lot of reading. I love books about history, pretty much any period but not the 20th Century, as it bores me to tears, unless you know a book about it that will blow my mind :wink:

Ideally, I'd like something quite advanced as many books aimed at teens/young people are a bit basic for me.

Any good recommendations? Thank you!
Reply 1
Since I read everything about 20th century history...I'm just recommending a more general book that you might well have read - "In Defense of History" by R. J. Evans.
Reply 2
yellowmeringue
Hi all,

Going to have a very long and laid-back summer this year after GCSEs, looking forward to doing a lot of reading. I love books about history, pretty much any period but not the 20th Century, as it bores me to tears, unless you know a book about it that will blow my mind :wink:

Ideally, I'd like something quite advanced as many books aimed at teens/young people are a bit basic for me.

Any good recommendations? Thank you!

Ah, I'm planning on doing loads of reading this summer too - post A2s - and as I'm doing history at uni next year I guess it's about time :o:

Something that just popped into my head was 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII' by Antonia Fraser - if you know even the basics about the Tudors, I reckon you'd like it; it's incredibly detailed and involving :smile:

I keep meaning to start 'Europe Since 1870' by James Joll. You might not like the 20th Century stuff I guess, but it's pretty lucidly written.

You could look at books about historiography if you wanted a real challenge - 'What is History' by EH Carr is certainly pretty advanced for non-uni students (I haven't managed that one either :rolleyes:)
Inner Poise
Ah, I'm planning on doing loads of reading this summer too - post A2s - and as I'm doing history at uni next year I guess it's about time :o:

Something that just popped into my head was 'The Six Wives of Henry VIII' by Antonia Fraser - if you know even the basics about the Tudors, I reckon you'd like it; it's incredibly detailed and involving :smile:

I keep meaning to start 'Europe Since 1870' by James Joll. You might not like the 20th Century stuff I guess, but it's pretty lucidly written.

You could look at books about historiography if you wanted a real challenge - 'What is History' by EH Carr is certainly pretty advanced for non-uni students (I haven't managed that one either :rolleyes:)

Aha! My current bedside reading. Thanks for the other recs. :smile:
StephZ
Since I read everything about 20th century history...I'm just recommending a more general book that you might well have read - "In Defense of History" by R. J. Evans.

I'm planning to read that once I've finished EH Carr. :smile: Thank you!

Latest

Trending

Trending