The Student Room Group

English Lang Paper 2 Gcse Tomorrow!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
how do you answer the questions on the media?
Reply 61
thanks, that helps a lot, good luck:smile:
Reply 62
sweetascandy
One major thing we get told is to distinguish between fact and opinion. Talk about the language, if there is any imagery.. talk about the presentational devices used to attract the reader, e.g. layout, arrangement, font, font size, colour, etc. Oh and also learn some media terminology! Hope that helps :smile:

what sort of media terminology?????
Lol, lads good luck, its gonna be a hell of a two weeks, English tommorow, history and physcis day after, english day after, maths and graphic day after, next tuesday geography, wedmesday history, additional maths and religous education (ONE DAY! WTF!), then geography again on Thursday, and finally my science retakes because I flopped 2 and got B's lol
Yasmin=D
Saaaaame :smile:
I havnt gone over any History though :/

samee, and there's so much to know for historyy, wheree to begin? lol
Lol, learn a bit about the edelweiss pirates, theyre interesting and worth quite a few marks in the exam...
Reply 66
Perseverance
Past papers! But cba to revise at the moment as I just got back from maths.

same, bore that off
Anyone got any tips, especially for writing a summary?
Reply 68
gabriella_bussel
Is anyone else doing WJEC?
Because I wanted to ask, for section A, you know how its split into 4 parts; A1 A2 A3 and A4 each worth 10 marks.
My english teachers rubbish, she says you have to make 10 points to get 10 marks, but other people have said you have to make like 5-7 points and expand on them to get 10 marks. Which do you think is the best bet? :s-smilie:

10 points is more than enough if you explain them thoroughly. In mocks I got 10/10 on some questions and definitely didn't put ten points. I think you should put about 6 different things. You would probably get 10 marks if you put 10 points, but there probably wouldn't be enough things to say. You'd need to justify it a lot and end up with a massive piece of writing.

I'm more scared about section B, tbh. =S

Anyone else on WJEC with advice?!
Im doing AQA tmoz, i do well in the writing part argue or persuade, but my mark always comes down because of the reading section.
I need some serious tips, i have a RUBBISH/LAZY teacher and i feel ive done the work all myself!
Reply 70
C-Pizzayne
No matter how hard I try, I always manage to do terribly in english exams so I'll just hope that one of the argue, persuade and advise questions is interesting enough for me to write about and then I'll pray for a pass :smile:

i hate IT so muchh
O Goshhh, the more i keep trying to revise the more worried im getting!! :woo: I hate paper 1&2 the lit is waaaaay better and easier!! But wish yu all goood luck :smile:
Reply 72
Rikku Kisaragi
I will be mega annoyed if I don't get an A*, I'm on the AQA spec ....ugh just the thought of it happening....
Think I'm getting an A on the literature though :/ (examm!!!)

I hate it wen ppl say that,, dudeeee u think u've got an a! nd ur worried, if i get a c on this id be over the moon but look what ur woryin bout... seriously if i were u id be celebrating :smile: just to think i got an A
Reply 73
section A

It's important to gain an overview of the texts you are studying. This means working out and mentally summarising the text's 'big picture'.

Ask yourself how the text's layout and presentation help it in various ways either appeal to its audience or achieve its purpose.

The layout and presentation of a text is a part of its form. Form refers to the way a text looks (or sounds) and helps the content (i.e. meaning) of the text in various ways, perhaps to make the text easier to navigate, or clearer for the reader.

In most non-fiction texts, layout and presentation are always carefully chosen to aid the audience in following and understanding the text.

Work out how the text's structure allows its detail and information to unfold - and often persuasive - in useful ways.

How are facts being used? Are they presented in a way that is balanced or carefully selected so they are biased?

How are opinions presented? In persuasion, opinions are never balanced and are given a sense of authority and influence. Work out how this is being done. People often say non-fiction texts should be based on facts; but this can't be so simply because much in life cannot be condensed to mere facts: most things are a matter of opinion. It's important, therefore, to be able to sort out fact from opinion and to be able to judge how balanced or otherwise the facts and opinions really are.

Look closely to see if the text sets out to create an emotional response, often though the use of emotive language.

For the highest grades, see if you can work out if the text's genre conventions create some kind of important response in the audience. Some genres can be quite powerful in this way. They act to create a mind-set or guide a response from their audience. The formal headlining and columns of influential newspapers such as The Guardian, The Daily Telegraph and The Times, for example, are instantly recognisable and suggest truthfulness and trust. Some formal business letters use layouts and letter headings that instantly seem authoritative and important. Leaflet genres vary - an information leaflet is easily recognised and instils trust whereas many sales or promotional leaflets ('flyers') have the opposite effect and end up quickly in the bin!

just found it lool
im gonna fail big time
Reply 74
mizzcontagious
O Goshhh, the more i keep trying to revise the more worried im getting!! :woo: I hate paper 1&2 the lit is waaaaay better and easier!! But wish yu all goood luck :smile:

Yeah i agree with you lol English Lit was so straight forward =P
But apparantly a lot of people do better in english language then english lit..so there's still some hope for me..
Reply 75
Ilvmj
I hate it wen ppl say that,, dudeeee u think u've got an a! nd ur worried, if i get a c on this id be over the moon but look what ur woryin bout... seriously if i were u id be celebrating :smile: just to think i got an A

init theres soo many ppl worrying there gonna get a A i would love to get B/C
Reply 76
BrunetteChick
Whats everyone thinking about writing to argue, persuade, advise, etc tomorrow?
How's everyone revising for this?
And also, anyonee got any useful tips or revision notes, for this?

Good Luck Guys :smile: :smile:

who revises for english? its just natural charisma in the subject (which i so dont have hence the spelling mistakes in all my posts :P ) but yeh........

its reading and you cant alter you reading ability..its a long term thing..can revise though like layout and stuff for newspaper articles etc i guess? and look over fact an opinnion but then surely you would know..."your 70kg!" "your fat" that the fat is an opinnion and the weight is a fact..(although 70kig im pretty sure everyone would agree thats fact but hey a 100000kg person looking at the 70kg may not find them fat lol)

and then writing to persuade, argue and advice............well yeh likewise cant really revise for this!
but most of you should be fine..

you all do a lot of advising on TSR
most of you argue :P and we're all young (minus old ppl on here who arent students no more?), so its what we do best
and persuadingggggg........well you persuade someone when you give advice on the fitness forums ( loose weight your fat, no1 will like you, go to the gym etc etc)

so yeh TSR'ers can do it!

hahaha i am feeling confident about the exam after this post. even when english is my worst subject..ahh i hope everyone else feels confident now 2 :P
Hanz_a93
Yeah i agree with you lol English Lit was so straight forward =P
But apparantly a lot of people do better in english language then english lit..so there's still some hope for me..

LOL yeahhhh in my school i reallllyyyy doubt anyone is revising for 2mrws exams but im stressing coz i wanna go sumwher better !! i hope, that ther is hope for me :p:
Reply 78
hemant1
init theres soo many ppl worrying there gonna get a A i would love to get B/C

lool yeah finaly someone who understands me:biggrin:
Reply 79
@hemant1
Thanks so much dude :smile:
Dw you'll get a good grade im sure

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending