The Student Room Group

Judge had a bad day and just wanted to get even with the world?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10335003.stm

She [the judge] said: "The result is I have no alternative but to sentence Mrs Cochrane to a period of five years."

I'm with the defence lawyer on this:
it would be "draconian, unjust and disproportionate" to jail the grandmother-of-six.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it really fair that a gun which has not been used in a crime and was discovered by chance should get someone in prison for that long?
I could understand if they confiscated the weapon, gave her a fine and said "don't do it again"...but 5 years in prison!!!
The judge sounds like a nasty piece of work.

Scroll to see replies

It's disgusting.
This is the third flipping thread I've seen on this story in 12 hours.
Reply 3
Tough judge, but, technically.......

Anyway, the grandmother really should have tried to get it decommissioned or something - Its was a functioning gun, and if i understand it correctly, handguns/pistols come in the same bracket as machine guns under british gun control laws (Read somthing about that after the cumbria shootings)
Reply 4
vander Beth
This is the third flipping thread I've seen on this story in 12 hours.

Hurray for not bothering to check if there's already a thread on it :ahee:
Her fault, she should have had it... whatever you call it when you make it stop functioning... a gun vasectomy?
Reply 6
Tbh I get why did't hand it in. My Grandad had a WW2 grenade and a flare pistol. When they deactivated the Flare gun they completely ruined it and did a very bad job.
What would you have said if the gun had been used by her errant son (the police are looking for him) to shoot someone? "Introduce stricter gun laws..."?
she had a gun. That she believed was a war trophy. And yet hid it under her mattress.
:facepalm:
Reply 9
Addzter
Her fault, she should have had it... whatever you call it when you make it stop functioning... a gun vasectomy?

But what if he wants to make babies with Miss Gun in the future? :frown:
Every indignant Little Englander is getting off on this story because she's a "grandmother" (53 . . . she's only a bit older than my Mum :lolwut:), but the fact is that under the present gun control laws (which I would like to see loosened) she was in illegal possession of a functioning handgun. She should have had it decommissioned.
WHy would she hide it under her mattress if she didn't think it was naughty to own it?
Reply 12
She should have shot someone with it just to make her sentence worthwhile - the judge would have been a good place to start.
who else keeps war trophies under their mattresses?
Reply 14
Manitude
I could understand if they confiscated the weapon, gave her a fine and said "don't do it again"...but 5 years in prison!!!

100% agreed on the fine idea. Sure it was stupid not to get a license (I don't agree with the 'decomission-it' supporters, it would probably ruin the essence of the keepsake, or they'd damage it or something), but a 5-year jail sentence is just stupid. A fine would make SO much more sense, especially if no ammunition were found - with no ammo. its no more dangerous than any other lump of metal you find in a house. (You're gonna imprison her for her iron, too?)
Tommyjw
But what if he wants to make babies with Miss Gun in the future? :frown:

Well that's tough; he'll be firing blanks. :ahee:
Addzter
... a gun vasectomy?

You've just made my day.
Reply 17
Manitude
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/10335003.stm

I'm with the defence lawyer on this:

What are your thoughts on this? Is it really fair that a gun which has not been used in a crime and was discovered by chance should get someone in prison for that long?

She knew the law. She knew the consequences, now she deals with them.
If this was a man, there would be no outrage.
If she was not old (and 50-odd is hardly old), there would be no outrage.

She knowingly broke the law, and then was given the minimum possible sentence after being found guilty.

What if she, or someone else, was to use this to go on a gun spree? Hardly unheard of.

Then what would you be saying? Tougher gun laws, QQ.
Reply 19
She admitted illegal possession of the firearm, an offence with a minimum five-year jail term under Scots law.

Doesn't really sound like the judge had a choice

But I doubt she really knew the consequences anyway

Latest

Trending

Trending