The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Dado Prso
standard grades are essentially a gateway onto highers. standard grades themselves don't actually help with getting a job.

So basicly for the people who choose to leave at the end of 4th year they are a massive waste of time? Thing is...I've seen my 5th year classes.....IM NOT EVEN DOING 1 HIGHER!

Thanks
Reply 21
Delaney
You won't be able to get a job till you're 16.

Thats not too long until after the summer so thats okay :P
You know, I think with parental consent you could join the army. They'll take you in and when you decide that you want to go get some more qualifications - and you will - they'll put you through them.
Reply 23
Livesindreams
You know, I think with parental consent you could join the army. They'll take you in and when you decide that you want to go get some more qualifications - and you will - they'll put you through them.

All of the forces do for that matter - RAF, Navy, Army.

Assuming you're reasonably fit then thats always an option :smile:
Reply 24
Delaney
All of the forces do for that matter - RAF, Navy, Army.

Assuming you're reasonably fit then thats always an option :smile:

Counts me out then dunnit.
Mase94
Counts me out then dunnit.

If that comes to the last option then you'll be amazed at how fast you'll become "fit".:o:
Reply 26
Livesindreams
If that comes to the last option then you'll be amazed at how fast you'll become "fit".:o:

Not that im unfit, just incredibly lazy and a scary lack of energy.
Mase94
Not that im unfit, just incredibly lazy and a scary lack of energy.

I understand that :biggrin:
Reply 28
:eek3: :eek3:
Livesindreams
I understand that :biggrin:

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

so....No to army then...

:p:
Mase94
:eek3: :eek3:

:eek3: :eek3: :eek3:

so....No to army then...

:p:

Have you tried at MacDonalds? Since you only have SG's you'll have to start low down to build up some working experiance,
Reply 30
Livesindreams
Have you tried at MacDonalds? Since you only have SG's you'll have to start low down to build up some working experiance,

I can't "try" until I can legally work.

I spose the best thing that can happen is I get a reasonably paid apprenticeship.
Mase94
I can't "try" until I can legally work.

I spose the best thing that can happen is I get a reasonably paid apprenticeship.

What you can do though is work at weekends regularly or get a paper round. Since you can't legally work or move out of your mum's home til Christmas time then you can save this money you get up in a Credit Union ot something.

That way if you decide to leave then you'll have a small amount of money to start you off.

You could also try the door to door approach to see if people need their grass cut or cars cleaned or dogs walked for a small fee. With the dog walking you can do it each day you you'll be making money each day.

And you're location is set to Glasgow, and here's an Apprenticeship I found whilst looking for a job.
Reply 32
Livesindreams
What you can do though is work at weekends regularly or get a paper round. Since you can't legally work or move out of your mum's home til Christmas time then you can save this money you get up in a Credit Union ot something.

That way if you decide to leave then you'll have a small amount of money to start you off.

You could also try the door to door approach to see if people need their grass cut or cars cleaned or dogs walked for a small fee. With the dog walking you can do it each day you you'll be making money each day.

And you're location is set to Glasgow, and here's an Apprenticeship I found whilst looking for a job.

Thank you for all these suggestions.

Problem with a weekend job is: I won't be able to work until like septembre, which is 3 months before my 16th birthday (shortly after which my mum plans on kicking me out) as she won't be getting money for me staying in education, the btch. cares more about money than me. and I will have pretty much no money, especially with the minimum wage rates combined with that amount of hours.

Problem with the door-to-door approach: (SEE ABOVE)

The apprenticeship seems like a reasonable plan but I would need one that pays enough for me to get a place of my own. which is beyond highly unlikley. Although, I could just get a job in the afternoons aswell as that ... HMMM...even so, apprenticeships in my area are real hard to get. and I don't even know if I could get one before im 16 as im sposed to be in school (WHICH REALLY TICK'S ME OFF)

But still, unless it pays roughly enough for me to move out, theirs no point in doing it as I will be homeless and it takes around 1-3years to finish apprenticeships so, although it is a sound idea. Unless I hit the lottery in the job hunt...or the actual lottery, Im screwed beyond the point in which the people on this website can comprehend. Im not just making up this kicking out thing, I heard her on the phone to my Brother a few weeks ago WITH THAT AS THE MAIN SUBJECT!
Mase94
Thank you for all these suggestions.

Problem with a weekend job is: I won't be able to work until like septembre, which is 3 months before my 16th birthday (shortly after which my mum plans on kicking me out) as she won't be getting money for me staying in education, the btch. cares more about money than me. and I will have pretty much no money, especially with the minimum wage rates combined with that amount of hours.

Problem with the door-to-door approach: (SEE ABOVE)

The apprenticeship seems like a reasonable plan but I would need one that pays enough for me to get a place of my own. which is beyond highly unlikley. Although, I could just get a job in the afternoons aswell as that ... HMMM...even so, apprenticeships in my area are real hard to get. and I don't even know if I could get one before im 16 as im sposed to be in school (WHICH REALLY TICK'S ME OFF)

But still, unless it pays roughly enough for me to move out, theirs no point in doing it as I will be homeless and it takes around 1-3years to finish apprenticeships so, although it is a sound idea. Unless I hit the lottery in the job hunt...or the actual lottery, Im screwed beyond the point in which the people on this website can comprehend. Im not just making up this kicking out thing, I heard her on the phone to my Brother a few weeks ago WITH THAT AS THE MAIN SUBJECT!

Actually 15 year olds can work, just not for many hours but you can work. You'll probably find them in local companies/family bus.

If you stay on at school you know you'll probably get EMA.
Reply 34
Livesindreams
Actually 15 year olds can work, just not for many hours but you can work. You'll probably find them in local companies/family bus.

EMA would be £120 a month for me. and I need money to move out.
Reply 35
Livesindreams

I don't think you understand what im saying, sorry. Im rubbish at this type of thing :p:
I won't get my NS number until sept (thingy that lets me work) but I won't be of school leaving age until I am 16 due to my birthday.

Sorry
Mase94
I won't get my NS number until sept (thingy that lets me work)

If this was meant to say 'NI', then you don't need one to work. You need one if you're over a certain age so that the employer can pay their National Insurance contribution, but since you're under that age you don't have one and they don't need one.
Reply 37
TheUnbeliever
If this was meant to say 'NI', then you don't need one to work. You need one if you're over a certain age so that the employer can pay their National Insurance contribution, but since you're under that age you don't have one and they don't need one.

Really? wow, I thought it was absolutly necessery. Thanks for the info.
I've kinda made up a plan but I am wondering, is it possible to do apprenticeships as an altertinitive to 5th year at school for us xmas leavers? I know that work experience is an alternitive but no-one in my town does that. Its too depressing working for no wages and you get little if not nothing out of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending