The Student Room Group
Reply 1
They'll probably want a sick note. Seems like more hassle than it's worth though, I'd probably just try to get in anyway.
I think they cancel your claim and you have to start all over again. Just go, it's not that bad. If you're really ill you can ring up and see what they say but they'll probably want some kind of sick note which is a whole heap of hassle.
Meh, I don't really think it matters too much. Once I didn't go in because of the snow, and another time I just phoned up on the day and said that I was ill. Apparently you're allowed two periods of illness every year, and they can be up to 14 days in length before you need a doctor's note.
Reply 4
you can get a ****ing job??
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 5
You need to pull a good excuse out your ass as to why you missed it. If not you lose you money for that period. Then again if it was just an intensive job search they generally don't give a monkeys.
danz69

You have clearly never been unemployed.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 7
Depends how strict your job centre is, but if you want them to be anyway lenient your better off ringing first before you miss a signing-on as if you try to do this after they'll assume you couldn't be bothered coming in and are now just trying to think off an excuse. If you miss a signing on than I think you have to have a meeting with an advisor who'll assess whether you had a valid reason for missing your appointment and if they don't think you did or you don't have any evidence to back up your reason than your claim will be cancelled
danz69

Easy to say but hard to do.
(edited 10 years ago)
Norfolkadam
You have clearly never been unemployed.

Or never been employed and living of daddy's wages. There's many reasons for being an idiot.
Reply 10
whitepearlbaby
Or never been employed and living of daddy's wages. There's many reasons for being an idiot.

its not hard to get a job, suppose its easier to sit on the dole tho!!! get a job!
danz69
its not hard to get a job, suppose its easier to sit on the dole tho!!! get a job!

Thank you oh font of all knowledge. Truth be told, it is hard to get a job. This person is asking for help, you are being an arse. Jog on, darling.
danz69

It can be very hard to get a job for various reasons. Do you have a job?
Reply 13
if you miss your signing on. they will send you a letter to get in touch with them. so call them say you were ill your sorry. they will then either send you a sort of form to fill in which all you have to do is write that you were ill, and then post it back. or go to the job centre and fill one in. easier to do this coz you have to 'sign on' within 7 days of your original signing day! 'signing on' can be classed as this sick note thing they send you.

and as a previous poster said , you can have 2 of these within a 12 month period. theonly other thing is that if for somereason you cant get to the job centre call them that morning say you have an interview or an appointment or someones ill or something they will rearange it for later in the week...
danz69

he's getting job SEEKER's allowance.

i.e he's actively looking for a job, not just 'sitting on the dole'

I wonder why I use TSR sometimes, its full of freaking ignoramuses.
Reply 15
rainbowbex
he's getting job SEEKER's allowance.

i.e he's actively looking for a job, not just 'sitting on the dole'

I wonder why I use TSR sometimes, its full of freaking ignoramuses.

Actually you don't need to SEEK a job to get paid JSA. I've been on the dole for more than 50% of my gap year and every two weeks you just go to the job centre at a certain time, they call your name, you sit in a chair and sign a piece of paper. They say "how's it been this week?" and you reply "well I applied to a few places but didn't get any reply" and then leave. You get your £100 in the post the next day and go back two weeks later to do the same thing.

To the OP, you should have called them in advance to let them know you were ill. I had to do it once, phoned up one hour before I was due and they just re-arranged it for the next day. If you don't go in without warning they stop your claim.
Reply 16
Thank you for your help, guys. To Ivan91, you're 100% right, I've only been to the one signing on yet and I can already tell it's a whole heap of bull. They gave me like 3 print-outs of jobs (that were all unsuitable) and I was like .... well.... I've kinda done all that for myself.... also since it's a small town they don't really care I don't think.
Reply 17
from my experience no job centre cares.

they are just pen pushers. all they care about is ticking a few boxes on the computer. what do they care!!
i ll help answer this oldy thread
when i had food poisoning, i missed my appointment and did not phone in. i phoned 2 days later , at the new appointment i filled in a type of absence form saying why i was ill. i still got paid, and did not need a doctors note. this was 2 years ago so not sure how things have changed now. maybe some job centers will ask for doctors note. they are increasingly harsh, i would not trust them not to stop any of your JSA. they should not sanction for illness, always appeal.
(edited 10 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending