The Student Room Group

I feel like crying - GCSE's

Scroll to see replies

A shaved money could get straight B's at GCSE.
You go to a grammar school, anything under grade A in any subject is unacceptable.
Reply 41
well im sure u can repeat then, good luck in the future
Reply 42
Don't let them get to you, some schools pile on pressure as it motivates some people. But if your trying your best then relax! Don't let this get to you, your grades are perfectly fine! Similar to mine.
Reply 43
Judging your reaction to gcses, a levels will probably kill you.

Stop stressing about them, they're not hard at all, moreover, they mean NOTHING!
JW92
Man up.

bro five for best advice.
IMO A-levels are easier than GCSEs. At GCSEs you have so many subjects you don't give a **** about.
well i go to grammar school and i wouldn't say i feel particularly pressured here. I got really good GCSE's, but a lot of people came out without anything above a B.
and if you feel that you're being pushed too hard, for god's sake tell your teachers.
J24
Hi.
So, I'm in Yr 10.
I've had a few GCSE module exams recently some where okay, some i'm retaking.

I go to a Grammar school, which pressures you to achieve A*'s (Example, my friend got one mark off full marks on her Chemistry Paper 1.. she was asked to retake.)

However, everyone seems to be getting higher than me and they all seem to be pressured to retake the highest of the highs. I feel like crying because of the amount of stress and times a teacher has said they have been disspointed in my marks. Even if I come out with B's in GCSE's, Or an odd C, is that still okay or will uni's look down on me because I went to a grammar school but got a C or B overal? Teachers are not happy with these marks, but unis will be?
:confused:

I'm also going to be going to 6th form in this grammar school too, but if i do get c's and b's in my GCSEs along with some A's and A*s, i'm worried they won't want me because they keep saying they are dissapointed etc?

Also, for people that keep saying that GCSE's mean nothing, well, they mean something to me.

Sorry for changing the post.
J :yep:

Oh :console:

Tbh, most universities aren't entirely crazy about how many A*s you got at GCSE, as long as you are predicted what the university wants (e.g. ABB) and as long as you have got good GCSE grades in Maths and English (grade C/B) then that is all that matters. Academia isn't eveything; it isn't a matter of life and death. It should be all about enrichement, learning and self-development, it should not be about being under so much pressure and feeling as though it is a chore. Don't worry anyway, you've got another year to work hard and try to get good grades (maybe A*-Cs), so it's not all doom and gloom.

I think you need to speak to your parents about this and explain to them how you feel. Maybe talk to a teacher at school that you can trust. Also, I don't think that you should be going to a school that is so unrealistic about the grades you should be getting and making you feel this way, even if it is a grammar school. I go to a comprehensive so grades at GCSE are not massively a big deal to the point where I would be retold to resit an exam if I was I mark away from an A*. It would be ridiculous. You have to think about what you want to achieve and learn not to conform to anyone else's expectations (something I've had to learn), otherwise you will end up feeling really upset and it is not worth it. Those teachers aren't really worth the time and the energy if they are making you feel this way. I would suggest that if you decide to apply for college or sixth form, then maybe consider not applying to a grammar school, many try apply for a good comprehensive school and good 6th form colleges.

In my experience, a lot of these kinds of schools/colleges don't really mind what you've got, as long as you got good grades in Maths and English and in the subjects you want to study, and although there is some emphisis on academia (my 6th form at my school do want us to try our best), it's not to the extent at your grammar school, and my it is expected that we try to be more well rounded individuals (e.g. getting involved in extra curricular activities), particuluarly as these are the kind of people that universities are loonking for.

Good luck :smile:
im so academic
Not necessarily as although GCSEs per se would not be a deciding factor, you can't deny that they help an person's applicant for Oxbridge.

OP: Take it easy. :smile:

I meant in general, in 95% of cases oxbridge applicants have good gcses anyway so
Just work harder.
J24
Hi.
So, I'm in Yr 10.

I go to a Grammar school, which pressures you to achieve A*'s (Example, my friend got one mark off full marks on her Chemistry Paper 1.. she was asked to retake.)

However, everyone seems to be getting higher than me and they all seem to be pressured to retake the highest of the highs. I feel like crying because of the amount of stress and times a teacher has said they have been disspointed in my marks. Even if I come out with B's in GCSE's, Or an odd C, is that still okay or will uni's look down on me because I went to a grammar school but got a C or B overal? Teachers are not happy with these marks, but unis will be?

I'm also going to be going to 6th form in this grammar school too, but if i do get c's and b's in my GCSEs along with some A's and A*s, i'm worried they won't want me because they keep saying they are dissapointed etc?

Also, for people that keep saying that GCSE's mean nothing, well, they mean something to me.

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you need to get some perspective. These are GOOD grades. You should be pleased with them, and stop comparing yourself to other people because there's always going to be someone better than you, that's just life. As long as you are proud of yourself, that's all that matters.
I know what pressure feels like, but you shouldn't let it get to you so much. How are you going to handle A Levels? I'd suggest NOT going to the sixth form at your school if they put this much pressure on you, particularly since they'll only increase it at A Level.
You're only in Year 10, chill out :wink:
Which school is this? This is why modular exams are terrible. Personally, GCSEs should be one exam and one has to accept what he/she got.

Don't worry OP: As,Bs,Cs will get you into university and if you can do well in your AS-levels then you have a good chance at getting into to a higher mid-range university.
Reply 52
Wow, you need to calm down. At the mo, I've got lots of B's, one A and one C (I'm in Year 10 too). At first I was rather disappointed with my grades, but I realised that I have another year to improve them (including a nice fat summer holiday) and I could easily go up a grade or two if I try hard enough.

For example, I did mock papers in Maths in class, and I kept getting C's. I was going to Saturday school at the time, but it wasn't really sinking in too well. So I revised and brushed up on my maths for a couple of days, and don't you know I got a B in the next paper. After a few days of scruffy, haphazard revision!

You should feel very lucky that you've realised what to do this early! You have another year ahead of you, and it's really not hard at all to get decent grades at GCSE. You just need to put in enough work.
If you're a guy find some balls, if you're a girl grow some. (Metaphorically of course, I know the lengths people on TSR will go to for these things.)
But if you get good enough GCSEs then you can go to a good sixth form and get good a levels and then go onto a good job, but what if your GCSEs fail and you don’t do well so you go to a bad sixth form and don’t do something you want to do, and don’t even a good job
Original post by Katealinda
But if you get good enough GCSEs then you can go to a good sixth form and get good a levels and then go onto a good job, but what if your GCSEs fail and you don’t do well so you go to a bad sixth form and don’t do something you want to do, and don’t even a good job

7 years to late
Original post by Katealinda

Well, had the OP gone to university they would have probably graduated by now.
Reply 57
GCSEs do matter, but try your best cause thats all you can do. Whether ur best is Bs or A*'s, it doesnt matter cause at least u did ur best. The worst thing u can do is not try ur best and realise that u could have done better.
Also, striving for A*'s tends to do more harm than good, food for thought.
Original post by _gcx
Well, had the OP gone to university they would have probably graduated by now.

Dead 😂😂😂😂😂
Original post by J24
Hi.
So, I'm in Yr 10.

Don’t worry about it your in year 10 you still have a full year to learn so you grades will go up , even if you do get a c that’s good too . Most uni focus more on a levels so they won’t mind if let’s say they are asking for 3 A* but u only get 2A* and an A or a b but your a levels meet there standard they will probably let u in . You only really need to start worrying when you are in year 11 and you are getting really low scores eg below a c

Quick Reply

Latest