The Student Room Group

(Physiotherapy) Hello from the U.S.A.

Hello All,

I apologize in advance; I am extremely confused and hoping to gather as much information as possible :smile:

My wife and I would love to live in Europe. I graduated with my Bachelor of Science degree in Kinesiology in 2008. After graduating I worked in cardiac rehabilitation and decided that I wanted to continue my education in physical therapy. In the states you must receive a DPT (Doctorate in Physical Therapy) in order to practice. However, there are pre-requisite courses (that my B.S. degree did not require) that are required for admissions into DPT programs. These courses include the following: General Biology, Anatomy & Physiology, Physics, Chemistry and Statistics. My GPA (Grade Point Average) is 3.1.

I have spent hours searching the internet for information about entrance requirements for schools in Europe but I'm lost and confused. I have the following questions and ANY information you could provide would be wonderfully appreciated!

::What degree/program should I be considering (BSc, MSc)?
::Is there a difference between physiotherapy, sport & exercise physiology, exercise rehabilitation)
::What are the requirements for entrance?
::biggrin:o the requirements differ for international students?

I'm not even sure of there are further questions I should be asking. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide me :smile: If it's easier you can email me at: [email protected].
Thank you again.
Reply 1
If you've got a BSc in Kinesiology, you should probably be looking at a MSc (pre-registration). But the MSc courses are quite intensive as they are only 2 years long- if you want to have a part time job as well the BSc would allow you more time for this.
You can only be a physiotherapist with a degree in physiotherapy, so look at that course.
Requirements for entry will be on the individual univerities websites.
As the course in the UK is funded by the NHS, I'm not even sure if they do take international students. If they do, I'm assuming your fees will be quite expensive too. You really need to do some more research, email the uni's if you are unsure.
I don't believe that an international student would be able to do an undergraduate course as the prospectuses clearly state that ALL applicants must be eligible for NHS funding.

I've just checked for MSc at Birmingham and the same rule applies for the MSc as well. You must be a 'home' student to apply.

Sorry, but it looks as though you will have to qualify in your own country and then try to come here to practise but you would be unlikely to get a visa as we have a surplus of physios at the moment.

ETA: I've just found that there is a course at the King's College London http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/biohealth/news/archive2008/dip.html

It seems that you have to do a two year course and then your chosen MSc BUT in the MSc Physiotherapy it clearly states that as the Department of health funds the clinical part of the course only 'home' student can apply. So that would need to be discussed with the university to clarify exactly what is on offer.

Latest