The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im bouncing between high pitched squeeling excitment and absolute fear.
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Reply 2
sarahbee
im bouncing between high pitched squeeling excitment and absolute fear.

What college are you in?

EDIT: Sorry just read that you're in Furness. :smile:
Reply 3
Smiley_Me
What college are you in?

furness, you?
Reply 4
sarahbee
furness, you?

Lonsdale.
Smiley_Me
It's all starting to feel so real. My dad has just bought me some really practical kitchen stuff, and it hit me that pretty soon I will be living in halls.

I have a huge grin on my face right now cos I'm so damn excited!

Is it just me?

My room is full of stuff from IKEA now so it's starting to hit home now! Just a bit worried cos I have heard nothing from Student Finance yet - called them yesterday and they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot!
Reply 6
danjc
My room is full of stuff from IKEA now so it's starting to hit home now! Just a bit worried cos I have heard nothing from Student Finance yet - called them yesterday and they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot!

Mine too............i did all my IKEA shopping last week!!!!

I cant wait to go now........most of my friends went last weekend and a couple more this weekend. so i will be by myself after that.....just waiting!!! :frown:
I know!

I've got loads to keep me occupied though - Great North Run this weekend and working away in Frankfurt next weekend so by the time i've stopped it'll be time to go!
Reply 8
I'm bouncing off the walls, can't wait to get over there...got my laptop this morning and going for my kitchen stuff this weekend when the car gets back from the garage!
Reply 9
I need to save some dinero for first week still.
Reply 10
Ye i cant wait to start either. Saving the pennies now for freshers week as i can see it costing a small amount!!! I have already got all my kitchen stuff, not a massive amount of bits just the necessities. I bought a tv from comet ex-display so got it slightly cheaper, im gunna buy a booster for it too so that i hopefully get a better signal when using it. My computer and everything related to that is ready to go, so i think im done pretty much. Just looking forward to getting there and meeting new people and hopefully having a really good time! :smile:
Reply 11
I'm not bringing a TV. Can't decide whether it will be useful to me or not, plus it will be more space I will have to find. I keep arguing with my parents, so I'm literally counting the days now.

Although I have heard once we move in we will be internetless for at least a week.

*Faints*
Smiley_Me
I
Although I have heard once we move in we will be internetless for at least a week.
*Faints*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Reply 13
danjc
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

I feel your pain. My second year friend has told me that a lot needs to be sorted before you are actually connected to the internet itself. I think you need your library card or something. I'm not really sure. What I would like to know is do we need to bring any cables as such to connect our computers to the internet?
Reply 14
I'm obviously not sure of the details of Lancaster, but I would recommend that you take a cable with you, saves on the fuss of buying one there. (If you want to get one Lucy, go to 4-Mat on Friargate. Ask for a UTP patch cable [available in lengths of 1, 2, 3 or 5 metres] and it will only cost you £3 at most)
When you go to get your libary card (I assume you have all sent off the stuff you need to get it with photo etc) you will also recieve a free disk on how to set up the ResNet (ie your internet connection and anti virus software (another free disk) - which you must have on your computer or they will kick you off the network) and a free cable to connect with. You will need a network card that you can buy or your computer may already support an ethernet network connection. You need to pay for your internet connection though (was abot £60 when I had it) either through student finance in university house or I think you can pay it along with your rent. It usually takes a day or two to set up at the university end not in your room. If you have any problems with it go to student IT help desk on the ground floor in the library (but be warned you may need to take your computer with you eg laptop/or tower unit).

Im not computer minded so someone else may be able to give better info or see the handbook it may contain good info.

Edit to say - I recommend you get the cable from uni because it has to be a certain type either a cross over or not and I cant remember which!
Reply 16
As long as you've ticked the box to say you want internet (or whatever you have to do these days) they will have all that gumph ready for you - an installation disk and a blue ethernet cable.

It takes a while to configure your PC to the right settings - they always want to dial up as if they're connected to a modem for some reason! But otherwise you will be ok.

Anyway, as soon as you get your library card you will be able to sign onto any PC on campus and use the internet that way until you get your own PC sorted! Ooooh and it's superfast :smile:
Feedback
As long as you've ticked the box to say you want internet (or whatever you have to do these days) they will have all that gumph ready for you - an installation disk and a blue ethernet cable.

It takes a while to configure your PC to the right settings - they always want to dial up as if they're connected to a modem for some reason! But otherwise you will be ok.

Anyway, as soon as you get your library card you will be able to sign onto any PC on campus and use the internet that way until you get your own PC sorted! Ooooh and it's superfast :smile:

When I was a student at Manchester they had a similar system - it took a week to set up my net connection and I had to tweak with a few settings. If you get stuck then just PM me and 'Dan the IT Man' will pop round and help!
Reply 18
BabyMan
I'm obviously not sure of the details of Lancaster, but I would recommend that you take a cable with you, saves on the fuss of buying one there. (If you want to get one Lucy, go to 4-Mat on Friargate. Ask for a UTP patch cable [available in lengths of 1, 2, 3 or 5 metres] and it will only cost you £3 at most)

I wish I knew more about computers, but cheers Simon. I just bought a computer today and I got a printer with it too, but they wanted to charge me £20 for a cable to connect the thing. Where can I get one cheaper?

LittleMiss
When you go to get your libary card (I assume you have all sent off the stuff you need to get it with photo etc) you will also recieve a free disk on how to set up the ResNet (ie your internet connection and anti virus software (another free disk) - which you must have on your computer or they will kick you off the network) and a free cable to connect with. You will need a network card that you can buy or your computer may already support an ethernet network connection. You need to pay for your internet connection though (was abot £60 when I had it) either through student finance in university house or I think you can pay it along with your rent. It usually takes a day or two to set up at the university end not in your room. If you have any problems with it go to student IT help desk on the ground floor in the library (but be warned you may need to take your computer with you eg laptop/or tower unit).

Im not computer minded so someone else may be able to give better info or see the handbook it may contain good info.

Edit to say - I recommend you get the cable from uni because it has to be a certain type either a cross over or not and I cant remember which!

That helps lots so thanks. I haven't sent anthing off for a library card, I assume we did this when we got there.... :confused:

I will have a re-read of my stuff tonight, but all I thought I had to send off was my college membership.
Reply 19
Smiley_Me
That helps lots so thanks. I haven't sent anthing off for a library card, I assume we did this when we got there....

I will have a re-read of my stuff tonight, but all I thought I had to send off was my college membership.

The library card info came with the initial freshers pack.......along with the sport centre membership and the medical centre stuff!

Latest

Trending

Trending