The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Scroll to see replies

I totally agree! However, everyone has the right to express their opinion :smile:
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 41
lmao well I think that some of the replies cofirms to you that there is a cannie lot of stuck up people at Leeds Uni. but same goes for anywhere. and if people look down on ya then they are stupid. My grandad comes from Seacroft (worst area in Leeds) and he went to Leeds uni and now he's a Civil Engineer worldwide. I could only imagine how stuck up others was too him then.

Only thing ya gotta look out for is to be street wise. Headingley is okay BUT what a lot of students don't know who aren't from Leeds is that Chapeltown/Harehills is practicalyy the same area code. so just keep ya wits about ya round there at night cuz there robbing ****s. Hyde Park is beyond a joke, 1 end is nice but the other is hell. shocks me that students live there. Burley is sound, still bit rough but it's close to the city. another dodgy place is called Woodhouse (nr Leeds uni).

all ya gotta do is be aware that your an easy target for these ppz from the area. as logn as ya don't go around adveriting your a leeds uni student with ya leeds uni hoodie then ya shoiuld be sound.

as forother students it's a mix and match is Leeds. plenty of stuck up people, plenty ofdown to earth ppz and then people in between.

put it this way I'm in a predominantley Leeds Uni accomodation this year and I'm Leeds Met. it'll brighten up my days if I meet stuck up people thinking there above me cause of the uni they go to...it'll be hilarious....(i.e jus laugh at em!)
I live in Concept Place which has a mixture of both Leeds Uni and Leeds Met students and I do have to admit that there was a bit of uni rivalry last year lol. It never got really bad though and the majority of them were just messing about. I guess its the same for most cities that have 2 or more uni's though lol :smile:
B2010
lmao well I think that some of the replies cofirms to you that there is a cannie lot of stuck up people at Leeds Uni. but same goes for anywhere. and if people look down on ya then they are stupid. My grandad comes from Seacroft (worst area in Leeds) and he went to Leeds uni and now he's a Civil Engineer worldwide. I could only imagine how stuck up others was too him then.

Only thing ya gotta look out for is to be street wise. Headingley is okay BUT what a lot of students don't know who aren't from Leeds is that Chapeltown/Harehills is practicalyy the same area code. so just keep ya wits about ya round there at night cuz there robbing ****s. Hyde Park is beyond a joke, 1 end is nice but the other is hell. shocks me that students live there. Burley is sound, still bit rough but it's close to the city. another dodgy place is called Woodhouse (nr Leeds uni).

all ya gotta do is be aware that your an easy target for these ppz from the area. as logn as ya don't go around adveriting your a leeds uni student with ya leeds uni hoodie then ya shoiuld be sound.

as forother students it's a mix and match is Leeds. plenty of stuck up people, plenty ofdown to earth ppz and then people in between.

put it this way I'm in a predominantley Leeds Uni accomodation this year and I'm Leeds Met. it'll brighten up my days if I meet stuck up people thinking there above me cause of the uni they go to...it'll be hilarious....(i.e jus laugh at em!)

This is not the case, most Leeds Uni students are no different to you and do the same things and eat and drink the same brands, you will be amazingly dissapointed at your expectations.

I think people will look down at you for ignorance, not because they think they are better. But because you are going around making false accusations and making generalisations. If you go pre-judging people will feel it in how you treat them and will just avoid you or not make an effort with you. Come to Uni with an open mind not assuming your the expert, because whatever you do at Leeds Met there are going to be many many many people better at you than it, your going to be a small tadpole in a huge lake.

If you cannot curb your pre-conceptions and come with an open mind to Uni be prepared to have a pretty poor time of it.
Reply 44
misterxninja
This is not the case, most Leeds Uni students are no different to you and do the same things and eat and drink the same brands, you will be amazingly dissapointed at your expectations.

I think people will look down at you for ignorance, not because they think they are better. But because you are going around making false accusations and making generalisations. If you go pre-judging people will feel it in how you treat them and will just avoid you or not make an effort with you. Come to Uni with an open mind not assuming your the expert, because whatever you do at Leeds Met there are going to be many many many people better at you than it, your going to be a small tadpole in a huge lake.

If you cannot curb your pre-conceptions and come with an open mind to Uni be prepared to have a pretty poor time of it.

I'm in 2nd year and from Leeds. I even said in my post that it's the same everywhere. :s-smilie: you obviously didn't read it properly

and I'm from Yorkshire ano Leeds pretty well. am telling the person what it'slike n what areas are dodgy

see you at Concept!
Reply 45
misterxninja

lol azif you've come out with all that :s-smilie: I was only telling em what i reckon bout Leeds. and what does how I'm better at what I do at uni better than others have to do with anything I posted?

I'm sound with uni. got pals in hype park, a few living at Headingley and a cannie few moving into Kirkstall Brewery aswell. Uni has been mint so far and the examples of stuck up people from Leeds uni are near the beggining of this thread.
B2010
lol azif you've come out with all that :s-smilie: I was only telling em what i reckon bout Leeds. and what does how I'm better at what I do at uni better than others have to do with anything I posted?

I'm sound with uni. got pals in hype park, a few living at Headingley and a cannie few moving into Kirkstall Brewery aswell. Uni has been mint so far and the examples of stuck up people from Leeds uni are near the beggining of this thread.

I could only imagine how stuck up others was too him then.

Perhaps people are stuck up to you because you make assumptions, like Leeds Uni student must be stuck up, well Concept is a mixed accomodation this year where the Met people are the minority, so seriously for your own sake snap out of that wrong assumption, as a fellow student to a fellow student it's not going to go down well if you think like that, people will notice it.

I come from a very much working class background and my parents are London overspill children... But class attacks is unacceptable we are all human, I accept Leeds has a mixture of all walks of life particular Leeds University campus you get all classes and types and political/human viewpoints.

I'm willing to retract what I said to you if you retract some of the things you have said here. Your Leeds Uni mates would not be pleased you was calling them all "stuck up" if they knew...

How can I read what you say when you persistantly choose to write like a g-bruv chav, can you blame me for misunderstanding your meaning, when nothing you write makes much sense?

People will not like it in Leeds if you talk like that, even people where I'm from would not like it if you talk like that, because it is derogatory and causes confusion and is antagonizing. My town of origin is pretty working class and down to earth place, so I'm from the same kind of background as you. So it would be great if you could change your view and we could become friends and have some awesome parties here next year.

I love this city and can see how the reputations you make out are highly over exagerated, it is safer here than any other city I have ever been too. I mean I'm from down south and saying Leeds is safer than places like Norwich is quiet a big thing to say, considering Norwich has such a good reputation. Reputations do not mean an awful lot, my town had a bad one and was pretty tame, compared to the surrounding towns that had good reputations but had drug dens and rapings left right and centre.

Leeds is widely accepted to be safer than key northern cities: Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle. Though I take little notice to reputations as there often a pack of myth on one persons misfortune that gets turned into hyperbole, but it is something to consider.

I'm glad we have cleared this up, though and hope we can have a fresh start and clean state and put this down to a misunderstanding.
Reply 47
B2010

Haha, that's for this. I was worrying about the areas to avoid in Leeds. I'm living in Hyde Park I think, so I'll keep that in mind! What about the roads to and from Leeds town to Headingley?

I know what you mean about the stuck-up ones. I hope it's as diverse as everyone says!
Reply 48
misterxninja
Perhaps people are stuck up to you because you make assumptions, like Leeds Uni student must be stuck up, well Concept is a mixed accomodation this year where the Met people are the minority, so seriously for your own sake snap out of that wrong assumption, as a fellow student to a fellow student it's not going to go down well if you think like that, people will notice it.

I come from a very much working class background and my parents are London overspill children... But class attacks is unacceptable we are all human, I accept Leeds has a mixture of all walks of life particular Leeds University campus you get all classes and types and political/human viewpoints.

I'm willing to retract what I said to you if you retract some of the things you have said here. Your Leeds Uni mates would not be pleased you was calling them all "stuck up" if they knew...

How can I read what you say when you persistantly choose to write like a g-bruv chav, can you blame me for misunderstanding your meaning, when nothing you write makes much sense?

People will not like it in Leeds if you talk like that, even people where I'm from would not like it if you talk like that, because it is derogatory and causes confusion and is antagonizing. My town of origin is pretty working class and down to earth place, so I'm from the same kind of background as you. So it would be great if you could change your view and we could become friends and have some awesome parties here next year.

I love this city and can see how the reputations you make out are highly over exagerated, it is safer here than any other city I have ever been too. I mean I'm from down south and saying Leeds is safer than places like Norwich is quiet a big thing to say, considering Norwich has such a good reputation. Reputations do not mean an awful lot, my town had a bad one and was pretty tame, compared to the surrounding towns that had good reputations but had drug dens and rapings left right and centre.

Leeds is widely accepted to be safer than key northern cities: Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Newcastle. Though I take little notice to reputations as there often a pack of myth on one persons misfortune that gets turned into hyperbole, but it is something to consider.

I'm glad we have cleared this up, though and hope we can have a fresh start and clean state and put this down to a misunderstanding.

Thanks for your opinions guys. They're both valuable and I honestly think that an open-mind is the right and only way to approach university.
lady_leon
Haha, that's for this. I was worrying about the areas to avoid in Leeds. I'm living in Hyde Park I think, so I'll keep that in mind! What about the roads to and from Leeds town to Headingley?

I know what you mean about the stuck-up ones. I hope it's as diverse as everyone says!

It really is hugely diverse, James Baille is on Hyde Park Corner not really Hyde Park, its a unique area, its also pretty decent accomodation.

The road between the city and Headingly is probably the safest one in Leeds, providing you do not walk through a park alone pitch black at night and put yourself in potential danger. Though I have done it many times its pretty ok because even late at night students are walking these routes also.

It is only dodgy if you go into the areas of local residents, who are in pretty dire poverty so get desperate and think, that if they just mug a student from what they assume is "comes from a rich family, so can afford it" to try justify doing it. There not like out and out maniac murderers, just if you present them with an opportunity they might consider stealing from you or mugging you, they would not hurt you unless you tried to hit them first.

Where you are living is secure and safe away from everything and the routes you will take from Uni and to Headingly are the safest most heavy pedestrian and car traffic routes in Leeds with it being the Students main walking route.

You will have a mixture of people at JBP though it does appeal to middle class more so, though it has had a price crash its usually a bit nicer than University accomodation, since JBP is actually a UNITE private company building sublet by the University, so you have private security on site and a gated community to some extent.

I hope your not panicked, reputations are not what there always cracked up to be. Leeds is a fantastic city and you made a fantastic choice you will never regret in coming here. When do you move in focusing on a more positive note? :woo: excited?
Reply 50
what the hell. mista ninja I honestly didnt want your life story lol. so you live at Concept?

and coming out with the chav insults? whats up with you? I can write how I want on here, I don't care if you take my opinion into consideration properly in the slightest because it wasn't directed towards you. but it's easy to tell when people are full of themselves. take notice of oceana mid week time. that's full of complete dings! and uni students shouting scum at us during a pub crawl. mate I'm not saying that all Leeds uni students are stuck up. she asked if some people around leeds are stuck up and I said yeh!

and Leeds is pretty safe aye I just gave her the low down of the dodgy areas. and the local areas in Leeds are more sound than all them areas imo.

anyway calm down writing some much stuff on here to me like that there really is no point :s-smilie:

people don't look down on me around uni I reckon it's sound and all is good round there. yeh hopefully see you around matey! sure you will be everyones best mate haha
Reply 51
misterxninja
It really is hugely diverse, James Baille is on Hyde Park Corner not really Hyde Park, its a unique area, its also pretty decent accomodation.

The road between the city and Headingly is probably the safest one in Leeds, providing you do not walk through a park alone pitch black at night and put yourself in potential danger. Though I have done it many times its pretty ok because even late at night students are walking these routes also.

It is only dodgy if you go into the areas of local residents, who are in pretty dire poverty so get desperate and think, that if they just mug a student from what they assume is "comes from a rich family, so can afford it" to try justify doing it. There not like out and out maniac murderers, just if you present them with an opportunity they might consider stealing from you or mugging you, they would not hurt you unless you tried to hit them first.

Where you are living is secure and safe away from everything and the routes you will take from Uni and to Headingly are the safest most heavy pedestrian and car traffic routes in Leeds with it being the Students main walking route.

You will have a mixture of people at JBP though it does appeal to middle class more so, though it has had a price crash its usually a bit nicer than University accomodation, since JBP is actually a UNITE private company building sublet by the University, so you have private security on site and a gated community to some extent.

I hope your not panicked, reputations are not what there always cracked up to be. Leeds is a fantastic city and you made a fantastic choice you will never regret in coming here. When do you move in focusing on a more positive note? :woo: excited?

There's going to be a mixture of people in all the halls though, and the people I've met so far are pretty friendly. Is it true that taxis are really cheap in Leeds?

I am really excited, but obviously a little nervous too! Are you at Leeds Uni?
Reply 52
I never called any of my uni MATES stuck up. I stated what she wanted to hear. anbd I honestly don't give a damn if you retract any of your statements cause you want to be a politician and the the only good thing about poltiicians is nothing! prove me wrong> see you at Concept. whats your name?

and fair enough I can see how I could of come across as like that but your speaking there azif eveyrones gonna hate me cuz I said that leeds uni has some stuck up students. I also said "it;s same everywhere" as in all unis and places have these types of people.

great to see where your from, I really wanted to know that! I was born in Skipton nr Leeds, then moved to Keighley/Bradford and after that I then moved up to Middlesbrough for about 4 years. My family spill all over Dundee/Glasgow/Keighley/Liverpool.

and I spend alot of time in London and imo it's no different except for the fact that they like to use knifes down there. I used to see a lass who lives on Star Lane in st mary cray.

there's some pointless information about me for you

I don't think everyones stuck and people dnt act stuck up with me constantly. I love it round here too and glad you like it aswell but stop it with these replies. she only wanted to know if there was stuck up ppz round Leeds. (which there is) so everything ya said is pointless

OP I saw what your music your into - get yourself to Cockpit on Tuesdays. unreal night!
lady_leon
There's going to be a mixture of people in all the halls though, and the people I've met so far are pretty friendly. Is it true that taxis are really cheap in Leeds?

I am really excited, but obviously a little nervous too! Are you at Leeds Uni?

I'm at Uni yes not Met. Uni has a sole city campus and has the largest city centre presence so its quiet a vibe when you hear the Uni chants. Though ultimately the two Uni's are similiar in size of students, I think Uni has 200 more or something small like that, but it changes a lot.

Taxis are £2.70 for a mile with Amber Taxis, you ring this company you are pretty much guaranteed a taxi within 10mins max. Though it will be busy during freshers so subject to be longer during those studenty periods. It is then 10p per 0.1 mile.

I mean I think that is cheap and I come originally from ruddy Norfolk. Though Leeds is my new home even after I leave Uni, its the place to be land of opportunity.

If you do not have money for the taxi then Amber Taxis will take your Student card and the next day you can go to the student union and pay for your fare on card and get your student card back.

Here is there number: 01132311366. I would estimate city centre tiger tiger, just off the main shoping street the headrow and oposite st johns shopping centre and McDonalds to JBP (James Baille Park) would cost £3.40, not sure though never took the route.

Its pretty much a straight road from Albion Street (Tiger Tiger nightclub) and the bus service runs pretty much 24 hours along that road. So you could hop on one of the night buses to Bod or Headingly and get off at the hyde park corner stop for £1.70 legitimately, or you could just ask for a £1 single there none the wiser or care :tongue: not that I ever have *cough* :lol: I mean you will never be stranded in Leeds transport is pretty good, though naturally traffic is a nightmare on the upper Otley road (Road where Headingly Sainsburies is on), but you do not live that far up so not to worry.

I would say although there is largely a mixture in halls, certain halls attract more of one type of people than the other. Lupton has a really laid back reputation, meanwhile Devonshire does seem to house the minority of Rah's banded together bless there souls. JBP is more for the middle class kids, who are up for the fun and party got good values, but are totally pleasantly social but majorly respectful, type of people you can rely on to have your back in a night out.

As you can see this is my personal favoured group of people :smile: I live in pretty similiar accomodation owned by the same company, who own JBP but in the city centre called Concept Place, which attracts due to its higher pricing and quality that type of clientele. I pretty much have the same decor and fittings as you will, but just more spacious rooms here and newer, but has Met students as of this year as it is totally private now last year Uni sublet it also.

Anytime you need any questions PM me or quote me in a thread. Add me to your favourites so you remember my name or something. Peace
B2010
I never called any of my uni MATES stuck up. I stated what she wanted to hear. anbd I honestly don't give a damn if you retract any of your statements cause you want to be a politician and the the only good thing about poltiicians is nothing! prove me wrong> see you at Concept. whats your name?

and fair enough I can see how I could of come across as like that but your speaking there azif eveyrones gonna hate me cuz I said that leeds uni has some stuck up students. I also said "it;s same everywhere" as in all unis and places have these types of people.

great to see where your from, I really wanted to know that! I was born in Skipton nr Leeds, then moved to Keighley/Bradford and after that I then moved up to Middlesbrough for about 4 years. My family spill all over Dundee/Glasgow/Keighley/Liverpool.

and I spend alot of time in London and imo it's no different except for the fact that they like to use knifes down there. I used to see a lass who lives on Star Lane in st mary cray.

there's some pointless information about me for you

I don't think everyones stuck and people dnt act stuck up with me constantly. I love it round here too and glad you like it aswell but stop it with these replies. she only wanted to know if there was stuck up ppz round Leeds. (which there is) so everything ya said is pointless

OP I saw what your music your into - get yourself to Cockpit on Tuesdays. unreal night!

Your still being rather rude dude, drop it now ey, lets move on from it.

Cockpit tuesdays yea it aint bad, but not many people I know wanted to go last year. I like crasher fridays, supersonic vague if that still exists.

We gonna be doing lots of Concept stuff this year, down to Cardigan fields for some evolution which I never got round to going to last year here. Went two days ago to Cardi fields and it was pretty ace bowling was £1.95 a game so a Concept bowling is in order I think with £7.50 Chinese all you can eat for after, wot ya think?

I never said they would hate you outright dude, I'm just saying you gotta cut out making assumptions, you just said politicians are good for nothing, second wrong assumption. But in reality we both know thats a lie without politicians you got no welfare state or hospital, as bad as it might be atm it is better to have them than not to? Without politicians fifteen years back you would not be able to go to Uni, so come don't even go there surely you know better than to pick a fight for a politics student.

Cut me some slack ey, I missunderstood forget it. Some politicians are fighting for legalizing marijuana does that interest you, lots of people think as individuals it should be up to us if we want to do it. I support the party and politicians who do want to legalize it as I think it is less harmful than alcohol and ciggerettes and is down to individual choice and freedom.

I thought you meant Leeds Uni is stuck up, its not they sell the bloody socialist worker newspaper outside the SU, how unstuck up working class can you get more than that? But yea Dev is where all those sorts live, I just call em Rahs, just keep away from em or I would end up arguing and turning all politician on there ass all day lol.

You up for Met SU friday fuel? I always wanted to try it, some metal is a good change something I aint experienced much of, people here last year liked TigerTiger, Mezz and Crasher. I do like Mezz but got spiked once best night out :lol: Crasher is more my type of music so far, but like said sort of people here last year I knew more into mainstream.

Anyway hope to meetcha soon, I'm already moved in with my partner in 202, stayed in IQ over summer, but back at Concept now after IQ double booked us for Sept.

Peace,

Troy
Reply 55
B2010
Only thing ya gotta look out for is to be street wise. Headingley is okay BUT what a lot of students don't know who aren't from Leeds is that Chapeltown/Harehills is practicalyy the same area code. so just keep ya wits about ya round there at night cuz there robbing ****s.

A little bit unfair. Most people in Chapeltown and Harehills are decent people, they're just living in a deprived area.
Gissing
A little bit unfair. Most people in Chapeltown and Harehills are decent people, they're just living in a deprived area.

I second that, feel safe there, got a nice multi cultured community. I like some of the shops in Chapeltown good honest products at decent honest value.
Reply 57
misterxninja
I'm at Uni yes not Met. Uni has a sole city campus and has the largest city centre presence so its quiet a vibe when you hear the Uni chants. Though ultimately the two Uni's are similiar in size of students, I think Uni has 200 more or something small like that, but it changes a lot.

Taxis are £2.70 for a mile with Amber Taxis, you ring this company you are pretty much guaranteed a taxi within 10mins max. Though it will be busy during freshers so subject to be longer during those studenty periods. It is then 10p per 0.1 mile.

I mean I think that is cheap and I come originally from ruddy Norfolk. Though Leeds is my new home even after I leave Uni, its the place to be land of opportunity.

If you do not have money for the taxi then Amber Taxis will take your Student card and the next day you can go to the student union and pay for your fare on card and get your student card back.

Here is there number: 01132311366. I would estimate city centre tiger tiger, just off the main shoping street the headrow and oposite st johns shopping centre and McDonalds to JBP (James Baille Park) would cost £3.40, not sure though never took the route.

Its pretty much a straight road from Albion Street (Tiger Tiger nightclub) and the bus service runs pretty much 24 hours along that road. So you could hop on one of the night buses to Bod or Headingly and get off at the hyde park corner stop for £1.70 legitimately, or you could just ask for a £1 single there none the wiser or care :tongue: not that I ever have *cough* :lol: I mean you will never be stranded in Leeds transport is pretty good, though naturally traffic is a nightmare on the upper Otley road (Road where Headingly Sainsburies is on), but you do not live that far up so not to worry.

I would say although there is largely a mixture in halls, certain halls attract more of one type of people than the other. Lupton has a really laid back reputation, meanwhile Devonshire does seem to house the minority of Rah's banded together bless there souls. JBP is more for the middle class kids, who are up for the fun and party got good values, but are totally pleasantly social but majorly respectful, type of people you can rely on to have your back in a night out.

As you can see this is my personal favoured group of people :smile: I live in pretty similiar accomodation owned by the same company, who own JBP but in the city centre called Concept Place, which attracts due to its higher pricing and quality that type of clientele. I pretty much have the same decor and fittings as you will, but just more spacious rooms here and newer, but has Met students as of this year as it is totally private now last year Uni sublet it also.

Anytime you need any questions PM me or quote me in a thread. Add me to your favourites so you remember my name or something. Peace

May I ask, how far away did you move from to Leeds?
lady_leon
May I ask, how far away did you move from to Leeds?

Why :s-smilie:?

Was I not helpful sorry :frown:

I'm originally from Thetford in Norfolk, its not a fantastic or exciting place, but it has a lil history if thats your cuppa tea.

I don't really go back my home is Leeds now parents lived abroad now moving back, but I pretty much live in Leeds now, love at first sight as it were lol.

Its quiet a long way back kinda, its also like £45 return on train OUCH!
Reply 59
misterxninja
Why :s-smilie:?

Was I not helpful sorry :frown:

I'm originally from Thetford in Norfolk, its not a fantastic or exciting place, but it has a lil history if thats your cuppa tea.

I don't really go back my home is Leeds now parents lived abroad now moving back, but I pretty much live in Leeds now, love at first sight as it were lol.

Its quiet a long way back kinda, its also like £45 return on train OUCH!

No no, you've been really helpful, thank you so much :smile:

I'm just starting to get worried as I'm going from Southampton to Leeds so you know, bit of a trek. Just wondered how you dealt with any homesickness?

Sorry to bring up something random!

Latest