The Student Room Group

I missed my offer and the university says they will let me know 'by next Thursday'

So I missed the grades I needed. I missed my target for insurance Queens University by 1 grade. They haven't rejected me however, instead my status with them is "decision pending".

Upon ringing them up, they said I'm borderline, but I will know one way or the other "by next Thursday".

Thats left me quite ruffled. Clearing pretty much has to be done today, but because they haven't rejected me, I'm obviously not in clearing. To complicate matters, the advice from their admissions is not to use clearing until I have a decision. Don't they know I can't wait until next Thursday?

I have 260 UCAS points, I really don't know whether to stick it out and see if I get my place and risk having no place or whether I should ask Queens to release me into clearing. :frown:
Reply 1
moorw003
So I missed the grades I needed. I missed my target for insurance Queens University by 1 grade. They haven't rejected me however, instead my status with them is "decision pending".

Upon ringing them up, they said I'm borderline, but I will know one way or the other "by next Thursday".

Thats left me quite ruffled. Clearing pretty much has to be done today, but because they haven't rejected me, I'm obviously not in clearing.

I have 260 UCAS points, I really don't know whether to stick it out and see if I get my place and risk having no place or whether I should ask Queens to release me into clearing. :frown:
Ring unis with courses that interest you, explaining that you don't have a Clearing number yet because Belfast are keeping you on ice for the moment. If somewhere else shows strong interest, you can ask Belfast to reject you straight away. Then you will go into Clearing and will be able to pursue this alternative. UCAS can facilitate this for you if Belfast are being slow.

Keeping people waiting for a week in this climate is unacceptable, in my view, so push them.
Reply 2
Thanks for your help. I agree it's unacceptable, but theres little I can do about it, without annoying them and possiblly putting them off me.

Ringing universities has been equally tricky. 3 have turned me away because they're already full. Another one said they couldn't give me anything concrete until I was released, by which time I was at a uni with 200 point requirements, well below what I achieved.

Lampeter were the last I called and they have offered to keep a place on hold. 3 cheers to them, at least I have an insurance.

Latest

Trending

Trending