The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Reading your Timetable

I noticed there were a lot of questions about reading timetables, as freshers can find them rather confusing, so here's a (really quick) guide to reading them.

You can access course timetables @ http://uiwwwsci01.ad.nottingham.ac.uk:8004/program.htm

Overlapping grey boxes - if the week numbers are different, then they're not overlapping sessions; if the group identifier is different, then you're probably not required to attend them all, just one of them! Otherwise, it's overlapping modules, which you won't be allowed to do, but if you're a fresher, this will be explained by your school.

Firstly, good idea to only select one term at a time, otherwise it looks confusing!

As mentioned in the above screenshot, the link to building code definitions is http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/academicservices/timetabling/furtherinformation/buildingcodes.aspx.

If anybody's wondering what the last field in the grey box I didn't circle is, it's just a series number. So for example, a module might have 3 lectures in a week. The first will be L1, the second L2, the third L3.

Hope this helps :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

OH! I see!

Haha, thanks very much, this clears up a lot!
I think it was the Group Indentifier that really threw me. I figured that the recurring modules must be because of different groups, but hadn't noticed the numbers to specifiy which ones were which.

Brilliant, that was very clearly explained, thank you! :biggrin:
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
that's very helpful :smile: Thank you :smile:
Reply 3
thank you for this.
Reply 4
Thanks Dark White :awesome:
Reply 5
Thanks DarkWhite!

All I have to ask is, for one of my modules (which is a compulsory one called Learning History), there are 5 seminars for this module running EVERY hour of monday - every one has a different group number next to it. So as you said we're split into groups, would this mean I'd only attend one of these seminars, or can one person be in multiple groups? As if that's the case, I have quite a low number of hours in a week!
edithwashere
Thanks DarkWhite!

All I have to ask is, for one of my modules (which is a compulsory one called Learning History), there are 5 seminars for this module running EVERY hour of monday - every one has a different group number next to it. So as you said we're split into groups, would this mean I'd only attend one of these seminars, or can one person be in multiple groups? As if that's the case, I have quite a low number of hours in a week!

Yep, each one's a different group. You do one. No idea why there's so many.
Reply 7
Brotherhood
Yep, each one's a different group. You do one. No idea why there's so many.

Thanks! Looks like I'm doing 11 hours of seminars a week then. SCORE! :smile:
I love you man! :biggrin:
Reply 9
Timetables- more difficult that your actual degree.
Reply 10
edithwashere
Thanks DarkWhite!

It's highly likely you'll only attend one. It's always possible you could be a member of more than one group, but I think it unlikely :smile:
DarkWhite
I noticed there were a lot of questions about reading timetables, as freshers can find them rather confusing, so here's a (really quick) guide to reading them.

Yes, us second years completely understand them, honest. :biggrin:
Reply 12
Hm, well if I'm right then it looks like I understood it :biggrin:
(which makes me super happy, btw :P cause i've worked double shifts + overtime today and thought my brain wasn't working xD). (though, now i've said that, i bet i just got it completely wrong and think i'm right all along XDDD LOL)

Butttt the group numbers are different on my practicals. I thought I had two (since they were at different times) but I guess not xD. Means I have 7 hours of lectures/ practicals a week and not 10!
Reply 13
innerpartysystem
Yes, us second years completely understand them, honest. :biggrin:

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
Reply 14
I wish I had this in my first year
DarkWhite

Hope this helps :smile:

I've got a problem. As hard as I look, it would appear I only have 3 hours a week of lectures and 3 hours a week of seminars. Could it be that I really only have 6 hours per week?
cunningstunt87
I've got a problem. As hard as I look, it would appear I only have 3 hours a week of lectures and 3 hours a week of seminars. Could it be that I really only have 6 hours per week?

I can see four (ctrl+f - L1). Your other modules will likely be subsidiaries from other departments. Plus some of your modules are 15 credits and not 10.
Reply 17
Thanks! It is really useful.

gucci handbag is known for their quality and style. If you’ve made the decision to purchase a gucci tote bag, you want to make sure you’re getting the real thing. With so many fakes on the market, you need to be on guard when using your hard-earned money to buy an expensive purse. There are certain characteristics that will help you distinguish the fakes from authentic gucci handbags. Here's how to identify a knock-off and discount gucci handbags.
(edited 13 years ago)
cunningstunt87

Yep quite possible!! I only had 5, sometimes 6 hours per week in my freshers year (doing music)
Reply 19
Mine's not on there :frown: Creative and Professional Writing in the Education school. Hope they've not cancelled it :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending