The Student Room Group

PGCE or TEFL??? HELP

Scroll to see replies

If you get a CELTA there are so many language schools in the UK. Especially so in London.
I would get a proper teaching qualification and apply for a PGCE in the world of TEFL there is no development, the salary you are paid makes saving for Diploma qualifications impossible. In most countries you are paid the same as somebody who has no teaching qualifications at all.
Secondly there is no regulation and anybody who rents a building can call themselves a school, one interview I had was this question "Are you English? I was offered the job the next day.
Today I found out thay my diabetes has inconvenienced a third employer
My regret is I stayed in this "industry" too long, I suggest do it for 2-3 years then if you dont get promoted do the PGCE where you get a stable teaching career
Original post by TeflSteven
I would get a proper teaching qualification and apply for a PGCE in the world of TEFL there is no development, the salary you are paid makes saving for Diploma qualifications impossible. In most countries you are paid the same as somebody who has no teaching qualifications at all.
Secondly there is no regulation and anybody who rents a building can call themselves a school, one interview I had was this question "Are you English? I was offered the job the next day.
Today I found out thay my diabetes has inconvenienced a third employer
My regret is I stayed in this "industry" too long, I suggest do it for 2-3 years then if you dont get promoted do the PGCE where you get a stable teaching career

Think it depends which country you work in. I have heard that for some countries such as Thailand. I teach in Portugal where they are quite strict with qualifications. You might get away with getting a job with an online TEFL or a combined class but the only people I have heard who have done that worked at small schools for limitted hours and found it difficult to live off.
If you have a CELTA and a degree you can get a job in a language school where you are paid double the minimum wage. Later with experience you can move onto the bigger schools such as International House, British Council or Cambridge School which has more pay, perks and responsibility generally. Many of which give opportunities to go on to do a DELTA, become a assistant director, etc. I have met many teachers here who have been in the proffesion for over 10 years. I have met about six (through the schools or at church) who have taught here for over 40 years in the profession. Some who have retired here too.

I did a QTS degree and found that teaching in the UK is much the same. You can become Head of Department, Head of Year, etc. That is no different to going onto become a Director of Studies. At the same time there is less box ticking, plus with smaller classes and students who actually want to learn!

Personally I have stayed at a smaller school (I am just about to start my 4th year here) because the bigger schools can't give me the holiday I need for my parent's holiday to India which they have planned for Christmas and I am quite attached to my school and students (maybe next year though). However I still feel like a 'normal teacher', just without having to do the other stuff. I have obversations, sometimes submit lesson plans, I have a curriculum to follow, I write reports, etc. And on all my paperwork for tax, etc, my status is equal to any teacher in a state or private school in the country.
Reply 23
Original post by coz1
PGCE 100%!!

I have just returned to England to complete a PGCE because the truth of the mater is, TEFL is a crap industry, with crap employers, crap pay, and mickey mouse private companies!

Do the PGCE, get avery well paid job in an inetrantional school anywhere in the world(after 1 year experience in an English school)..

I was earning around $1000 a month in Indonesia working for EF a private language centre, but my friend was working just 10 mins from me in an international school earning around $4000 a month and enjoying a job with career prospects, great benefits, all expenses paid acccom, flights, pension.etc.

We both enjoyed our jobs, loved the life in the country, but he was getting a much better deal than me, because of the PGCE.

+ he was looked at as a professional, where as the TEFL Industry treats its workers as if they are just back packers looking for beer money(which most are to be honest).

Do a nother year, get your PGCE, and you can enjoy the TEFL lifestyle in style!

What was it like working for EF, out of interest? I got a job offer in China but turned it down because it was a tiny city that wasn't my top choice and they wanted me to start much sooner than I had expected. I thought the centres looked out of this world though - so modern.

Edit - in response to the OP I'm speaking from a very unqualified position but I know that you can get a TEFL qualification for much cheaper than the cost of a whole MA. So perhaps it would be better to do your PGCE and then add a TEFL qualification at some point if you do decide you want to do that. That way you will be a very qualified teacher with the added bonus of a smaller TEFL qualification.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 24
Original post by njfsthatsme
PGCE English with Literacy and ESOL at UCL. Nearly finished it. Hard work but you can teach TEFL or GCSE in schools or colleges to kids or adults in UK or abroad. Good luck.

Hello!

I know it's been a while since this thread was last active.. So hope you see this! I am wanting to apply to UCL for Literacy and ESOL entry in 2017. I just wondered:

What sort of work experience do you need?
What's the application process like?
How many were on your course?
I have a Psychology degree - do you think this will be related enough? The website is a bit unhelpful when it comes to that!

Many thanks for any help in advance!
Reply 25
Looking at that PGCE, I don't see any specific subject listed so I think you'd be fine. Looks like it's quite new so it sounds really exciting.*
It all depends when you want to teach because if it is Korea or Japan I know people who have done only TEFL and have jobs which are enough for them to pay for their flats in Seoul, Tokyo all bills and save money as well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending