The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

I am having trouble with how to get an offer... :(

In the Canadian requirement for the entry, it clearly says

"Successful applicants are typically asked for 85% overall in 5 subjects in the BC Diploma including 85% in Maths and 85% in English."

And if I get 81% in English, but if they like my PS and reference letter, would they give me a conditional offer of 85% in English or would they reject me right away?

And regarding the equal quality of PS, reference letter, would candidates with like 92% overall have better chance than people with like 87% ? Or does it not matter as long as you have 85%or higher? :confused:

OR since it says "Successful applicants," it means that I need to have meet the "85% overall in 5 subjects" in order for them to look at my whole application (PS and the reference letter)? :confused:
Reply 1
Why don't you email them and ask?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Having a higher percentage definitely helps :/. They probably wouldn't reject you straight away, what did you get in your other subjects?
Reply 3
Original post by -beads-
Why don't you email them and ask?

I actually was about to do it but I was kind of worried if I am being annoying because I already asked 2 other questions...
so I thought i should ask TSR to relax the university people a bit.
But I think I am just being paranoid. If i do not receive the definite answer I will go ask. :smile:
Reply 4
What made you wanna go to University in Canada? And which one are you hoping to attend?

I'm not sure we can really answer your questions, only the admissions board of that particular University. Sorry, wish I could though. Uni stress is something else I swear :s
Reply 5
Original post by asdfg0987
Having a higher percentage definitely helps :/. They probably wouldn't reject you straight away, what did you get in your other subjects?

I dont have firm marks yet because we are only like 1/6 way done. Our school ends in June.
But there are the marks that I think I will get

English 70~80 but 85.... hmmm... I am not sure if thats possible. I am getting 75% right now and this is the best I've ever done so far in the high school career. But who knows I can reach farther.
Math 90+ for sure
Calculus 90+ for sure
Spanish 90+ for sure
Geography 86+ for sure

So, If I do my worst my mark will be 85.2% average. Since warwick (Im applying to study business) is a very competitive school, I guess I should choose other schools... :frown::frown::frown:
Reply 6
Email the uni first (I emailed them several times and still got offers for both my courses so don't worry about annoying them :tongue:) but to be honest, I think it's definitely worth you applying. Because it's percentages rather than grades, if you get a conditional for 85% and you drop to maybe 83/82 but do better in your other subjects, you might still get in. Warwick is competitive, but getting an offer is the hardest part. They might give you a bit of leeway on results day if you exceed the conditions in your other subjects. But definitely e-mail them and ask :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by lifeshard
What made you wanna go to University in Canada? And which one are you hoping to attend?

I'm not sure we can really answer your questions, only the admissions board of that particular University. Sorry, wish I could though. Uni stress is something else I swear :s

haha for me it's more like I wish I had a higher grade or i wish there is a perpect tutor who can motivate me and who can teach me very effectively. I actually enjoy looking through unis although it's shame that my marks dont reflect my desire.

You mean what made me wanna go to unis in UK right? well because,

- There are far less business Canadian unis than UK. So, I assume that the education in Business in UK is a lot focused thus, better. I think Canada has something like 15 and UK has 75 or something
- Euros worth more. When I change to $ I will have more money.
- In terms of centre of the economy I think UK is more firm than Canada does. Well Canada itself is very rich not the companies in Canada.
- New experience, culture, ... I mean it because I've lots lots of students like me from all over the world and I always use my intuition and then logics to understand their cultures.
- UK degree takes 3 years.
- UK student visa allows to work for 20hr/week? but Canada doesn't.
- UK plays badminton while Canada doesn't.
- In Canada, other than where I am living (BC), it is very cold.

On the other hand, there are also negetive factors and good factors about studying in Canada but I won't go through it unless you want me to.

Which one am i hoping to attend to?
-LSE (I think impossible although they ask the excate same requirement as Bath,Warwick do)
-Warwick (85% in English is.... somewhat impossible....:frown:)
-Bath (God! cant believe they ask the excate same requirement as LSE and Warwick do)
-KCL (85% overall. Which is possible)
- UCL (20% of the course is IT and I dont want to focus in IT. But maybe the IT that I am thinking of isnt the IT they are talking about)
-Durham? notthingham? bristol? Loughbough? Havent researched these. I feel reluctant to research because I probably won't get a job from graduating these unis. I heard that pretty much only Oxbride,LSE,UCL,Warwick,Imperial people get jobs....
So maybe after undergraduate, study MBA in one of those above? But it will be very hard... I think.
Reply 8
Original post by zanahoria
haha for me it's more like I wish I had a higher grade or i wish there is a perpect tutor who can motivate me and who can teach me very effectively. I actually enjoy looking through unis although it's shame that my marks dont reflect my desire.

You mean what made me wanna go to unis in UK right? well because,

- There are far less business Canadian unis than UK. So, I assume that the education in Business in UK is a lot focused thus, better. I think Canada has something like 15 and UK has 75 or something
- Euros worth more. When I change to $ I will have more money.
- In terms of centre of the economy I think UK is more firm than Canada does. Well Canada itself is very rich not the companies in Canada.
- New experience, culture, ... I mean it because I've lots lots of students like me from all over the world and I always use my intuition and then logics to understand their cultures.
- UK degree takes 3 years.
- UK student visa allows to work for 20hr/week? but Canada doesn't.
- UK plays badminton while Canada doesn't.
- In Canada, other than where I am living (BC), it is very cold.

On the other hand, there are also negetive factors and good factors about studying in Canada but I won't go through it unless you want me to.

Which one am i hoping to attend to?
-LSE (I think impossible although they ask the excate same requirement as Bath,Warwick do)
-Warwick (85% in English is.... somewhat impossible....:frown:)
-Bath (God! cant believe they ask the excate same requirement as LSE and Warwick do)
-KCL (85% overall. Which is possible)
- UCL (20% of the course is IT and I dont want to focus in IT. But maybe the IT that I am thinking of isnt the IT they are talking about)
-Durham? notthingham? bristol? Loughbough? Havent researched these. I feel reluctant to research because I probably won't get a job from graduating these unis. I heard that pretty much only Oxbride,LSE,UCL,Warwick,Imperial people get jobs....
So maybe after undergraduate, study MBA in one of those above? But it will be very hard... I think.

Ah I see, so your Canadian? I read your question wrong! I thought you were looking at the requirements at Canadian Universities.

I've lived in Canada and what's funny is there not THAT different, I always thought Canada would be like a mini America but really it's the UK except with Americanized accents and more American shops. The best thing about Canada is that it is absolutely stunning whereas a lot of England just isn't, it is the epitome of overcrowed.

But I see what you mean about wanting a change of scenery! Canada can be a bore at times :tongue: All of those years I lived in Canada and i've I only know of 2 Canadian uni's.. Mcgill and University of Ottawa.

I like all your choices, I wish I could get in to some of them! The only uni out of the uni's you've mentioned i've visited is Durham and that has the whole typical English wholesome feeling with the stunning scenery and the size isn't overflowing with people. But if your into the party scene it didn't seem too live! Durham is pretty prestigous and respected. And btw, I wouldn't worry myself too much about what will get me the most oppurtinies for a graduate job because really that's impossible to measure or prove. A few years ago it was said that employers were targetting sheffield and manchester graduates. Just get into a uni that has a respected Economics department, get plenty of experience and you should be set because your right UK has got a bigger job market then Canada. There's much more corporate business here than in Canada which is all villlagy in lots of parts.

Good luck with everything! :smile::smile::smile:

Quick Reply

Latest