The Student Room Group

Having maaaaaaaajor doubts over degree choice...but I've already applied...

Ok, so I've applied for maths, applied ages ago as I'm applying to Cambridge. I have an interview on the 9th, and it all sounds great. Trouble is that I'm having major doubts about whether I want to study maths. I mean I'm good at it, and somewhat interested in it as in it's the best subject I've studied at school but I'm not sure that the options given in having a maths degree are for me.

Firstly, most of the jobs a maths degree can get are in finance - a job sector I really really really don't want to go into, I just hate the sound of being a numerical analyst or actuary or whatever, frankly it sounds vacuous and awful to me. But this is where most people with a maths degree go on to, I've been told by my friend studying maths at Warwick, where I also have an offer from.

Also, what people say about maths not really meaning anything, where before I'd brush it off saying I enjoy it and it has plenty of uses that they (and, frankly I) don't know about. I'm sure I have the ability to do maths, but it's just a question of whether I want to do it, which at the moment I'm having major doubts about.

The thought of being a vet is beginning to sound appealing to me, but I don't know if I'm just being silly and immature about this, I like the thought of looking after animals as I love them but I really don't know.

Does anyone have any advice about any of this? I'm feeling quite crappy right now, having these doubts, sitting alone on a Friday night and I can't stop thinking about it.

EDIT: I think this vet thing is impossible anyway, I've got no work experience or anything like that, obviously I have good exam results to apply to Cambridge but I feel that vet folk ask for something more in their applications like work experience/UCKAT/whatever.
Also, I didn't apply for vet because my mum kept on wanting me to do it and gets really annoying when she gets drunk and nags, annoys and has a go at everyone. She kept on at me to be a vet and I think I had a mental block against it ever since.

EDIT2:Not teaching either, I don't think I'm the right kind of guy for that.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FattyInNeed
With a Maths degree, you can become pretty much anything you want from chairman of RBS to financial adviser for osama bin laden.

....Which are both jobs in finance?...
Reply 2
With a Maths degree, you can become pretty much anything you want from chairman of RBS to financial adviser for osama bin laden.

I said I'd hate a job in finance so come off it.

Is that some sort of joke?
Reply 4
Original post by Bananas01
I said I'd hate a job in finance so come off it.

You can also think of it like this.. a degree will get you loads of places, any (respected) degree could end up with you at any job.
My ex's dad did natural science something or other at cambridge, he's now CEO of one of the major shipping companies.. there are going to be many more examples like that.

Granted, it would be a bad idea to do a degree your not completely comfortable doing it. But if you ARE doing it, a maths degree from cambridge will certainly give you an advantage, not just in financial jobs.
Well, this is a familiar story... Been there before, almost exactly like this - had offers from good unis for maths, but became more and more certain that the job prospects for maths didn't match what I wanted in life (really did not want to work in finance or teaching, which are the two main careers for maths graduates - yes, you can do others, but people that do are few and far between.) I decided to pull out of my offers just after I'd taken my A-level exams, then using Clearing to get an offer for a course I did, but that wouldn't work for vet med.

So not so much advice, unless you have any more specific questions you want to ask, but definitely empathy - it's a tough position to be in.
Reply 6
Ok, so I've applied for maths, applied ages ago as I'm applying to Cambridge. I have an interview on the 9th, and it all sounds great. Trouble is that I'm having major doubts about whether I want to study maths. I mean I'm good at it, and somewhat interested in it as in it's the best subject I've studied at school but I'm not sure that the options given in having a maths degree are for me.

Firstly, most of the jobs a maths degree can get are in finance - a job sector I really really really don't want to go into, I just hate the sound of being a numerical analyst or actuary or whatever, frankly it sounds vacuous and awful to me. But this is where most people with a maths degree go on to, I've been told by my friend studying maths at Warwick, where I also have an offer from.

Also, what people say about maths not really meaning anything, where before I'd brush it off saying I enjoy it and it has plenty of uses that they (and, frankly I) don't know about. I'm sure I have the ability to do maths, but it's just a question of whether I want to do it, which at the moment I'm having major doubts about.

The thought of being a vet is beginning to sound appealing to me, but I don't know if I'm just being silly and immature about this, I like the thought of looking after animals as I love them but I really don't know.

Does anyone have any advice about any of this? I'm feeling quite crappy right now, having these doubts, sitting alone on a Friday night and I can't stop thinking about it.

hiya,, im sorry to hear this, but i think i can help you a bit. firstly, i had a dilemma before applying. Mathematics or something else? i was qutie good at maths, had A*A grades in Maths and F.Maths, but i was not sure whether maths was the degree i wanted because of careers... so i chose law.

now, firstly, it is a hugeeeeeeeeeee, maaaaaaaaaajor problem moving from maths to some other subject in uni. even though my grades were good at maths, im struggling with law. and i think you would struggle with other subjects if you're not that good in them. this should be a relief for you.

now,, regarding careers - i know everyone says mathematics opens doors as teacher or financial jobs such as numbers. i too just like you hate these jobs. but consider one thing. Many of the jobs, the majority of the jobs probably, do not require specific degree. they just want some degree but do not specify one. starting from MI6 (just to get things more interestign), finishing with all the business jobs. and trust me, if in jobs like this 2 candidates apply with one with a maths degree and second with other degree, i really really really think the maths degree would've had more chances. look, bank director (maybe a bit exaggerated but still true), what do you need a degree in to be one? there is not really good academic degrees in banking, finances or economics degrees are not compulsory - so who's left? a maths graduate, who is extremely logical, fast thinker (otherwise wouldnt be a graduate), bright, good problem solver. if i was en employer, i wud have definitely chose the maths graduate over any.

and thirdly. it doesnt matter a lot what your degree is if you are in cambridge,all that you can be sure about is you will have a job, a good job after graduating. hope this helps :smile:
Reply 7

Tricky situation, but if you have doubts about maths, don't do the course. 3/4 years is a long time to spend on a course then come out and hate your job prospects. :frown:

If being a vet sounds good to you, would it be possible to withdraw your application and reapply next year? I'm not that clued up on the procedure for that. But just make sure you do something that you really want to do. Im applying for phyisics, and I kind of have the same doubts as yourself. Here's hoping that everything will work out :smile:
It may just be pre-degree nerves. However bear in mind that whatever you do, you'll be doing it for three years and it'll shape your future career (and especially if you got into Cambridge, you'd be doing it pretttty intensively).

Also bear this in mind - have you got the right A levels for vet med? You'd also have to do a lot of work experience which might affect when you'd be able to reapply. No idea how much you have to do though.

(By the way, I'm in the same situation as you but applied for Japanese and now want to do French - I've decided to go along with my current application for now, accept offers and try and change course once I get there, if I can't then I'll reapply for 2012.)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Bella Occhi
It may just be pre-degree nerves. However bear in mind that whatever you do, you'll be doing it for three years and it'll shape your future career (and especially if you got into Cambridge, you'd be doing it pretttty intensively).

Also bear this in mind - have you got the right A levels for vet med? You'd also have to do a lot of work experience which might affect when you'd be able to reapply. No idea how much you have to do though.

(By the way, I'm in the same situation as you but applied for Japanese and now want to do French - I've decided to go along with my current application for now, accept offers and try and change course once I get there, if I can't then I'll reapply for 2012.)

I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Physics - the only problem might be a lack of Biology but I'm not really sure, they're still quite solid good choices.

Also as a more general question - I presume it'd be impossible to transfer to Vet Med after going to university? Not at somewhere like Cambridge obviously, but if I chose somewhere like Glasgow or Edinburgh I still presume this would be impossible due to the intense competition for Vet Med?
Reply 10
You could be a statistician and count endangered animals, or something.
Reply 11
Original post by No Man
You could be a statistician and count endangered animals, or something.

That's not even funny, honestly by the way. I hope this is a joke otherwise it's just a stupid suggestion.
That's not even funny, honestly by the way. I hope this is a joke otherwise it's just a stupid suggestion.

It's TSR, what did you expect?
Reply 13

I didn't mean 'you could go out in the jungle/savannah and count each jaguar/cheetah' btw.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by TheSownRose
It's TSR, what did you expect?

I know, I just use this profile to post stuff I wouldn't want my friends to see if they looked up my main account... I should really know better :sigh:

You got any more advice, seeing as you've been through something similar?
Reply 15
I'm doing Maths, Chemistry and Physics - the only problem might be a lack of Biology but I'm not really sure, they're still quite solid good choices.

Also as a more general question - I presume it'd be impossible to transfer to Vet Med after going to university? Not at somewhere like Cambridge obviously, but if I chose somewhere like Glasgow or Edinburgh I still presume this would be impossible due to the intense competition for Vet Med?[/QUOTE]

Yess, you definately can't switch to vet from anything! :smile:

Have you got experience working in a vet practice? I'm not sure how realistic your expectations are, but veterinary medicine isn't at all glamorous and at times can be a pretty crappy job (although for me the pro's far outweigh the con's). If you haven't got any experience I'd suggest applying for a week's placement somewhere before you pull out of your current plans. :wink:

If it is something you decide you want to do, competition is pretty mental. Most candidates have 10+ weeks varied work experience, as Liverpool's minimum requirements are 10 weeks (and they only interview the top 500 out of around 1000 applicants based on weeks of w/e, so obviously successful applicants often have a lot more). I'm not trying to put you off, but if you do want to go for vet (it's amazing!) then you'd probably have to start getting work experience now, including one or two long term placements.

If you have any questions come to the vet forum, we're a friendly bunch. :tongue:

Good luck!
Reply 16
Mathematical rigor is a trait that particularly appeals to employers in the field of Strategy consulting. Look up McKinsey and see if you like it.
Reply 17
[QUOTE="vet;28766497" jen="jen"]

Also as a more general question - I presume it'd be impossible to transfer to Vet Med after going to university? Not at somewhere like Cambridge obviously, but if I chose somewhere like Glasgow or Edinburgh I still presume this would be impossible due to the intense competition for Vet Med?[/QUOTE]

Yess, you definately can't switch to vet from anything! :smile:

Have you got experience working in a vet practice? I'm not sure how realistic your expectations are, but veterinary medicine isn't at all glamorous and at times can be a pretty crappy job (although for me the pro's far outweigh the con's). If you haven't got any experience I'd suggest applying for a week's placement somewhere before you pull out of your current plans. :wink:

If it is something you decide you want to do, competition is pretty mental. Most candidates have 10+ weeks varied work experience, as Liverpool's minimum requirements are 10 weeks (and they only interview the top 500 out of around 1000 applicants based on weeks of w/e, so obviously successful applicants often have a lot more). I'm not trying to put you off, but if you do want to go for vet (it's amazing!) then you'd probably have to start getting work experience now, including one or two long term placements.

If you have any questions come to the vet forum, we're a friendly bunch. :tongue:

Good luck!

So a lack of biology would be fine if I were to reapply or something? I know about the experience thing but if I were to reapply or something next year then that could be picked up :/

Also as a more general question - I presume it'd be impossible to transfer to Vet Med after going to university? Not at somewhere like Cambridge obviously, but if I chose somewhere like Glasgow or Edinburgh I still presume this would be impossible due to the intense competition for Vet Med?

I don't really know, but as it's so competitive I would assume not.
Reply 19
Original post by Krov
Mathematical rigor is a trait that particularly appeals to employers in the field of Strategy consulting. Look up McKinsey and see if you like it.

Nah, it still looks pretty city boy yuppy type thing, which is exactly the thing I'm trying to avoid...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending