The Student Room Group

Preparing for an All-Nighter

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
I don't really do all-nighters when I need to work. What I do is go to sleep at about 8pm then wake up at 3am and do the work then. 3am to 10am are my peak times for productivity as long as I've had at least 5 hours sleep before I wake up at 3am. And it has to be waking up at 3am or 4am to do the work.. Can't wake up at 8am say and start working.. It won't happen :sad: Oh and of course a cup of tea is needed as soon as I wake up and a smoke as well :biggrin:

At the moment I'm probably going to be doing an all-nighter as my sleeping patterns are ****ed thanks to being rather ill :colonhash:
Reply 41
Original post by Kasc
CONTENTS

SUMMARY i
CONTENTS ii
NOTATION iii
1. INTRODUCTION 1
1.1 Background 1
1.2 Objectives 1
1.3 Theory 2
2. EXPERIMENTAL PROCEDURE & APPROACH 6
2.1 Equipment 6 <---- I am here :frown:
2.2 Experimental Conditions
2.3 Procedure
3. RESULTS
4.DISCUSSION
5. CONCLUSION
6. REFERENCES?

sounds like mine

frikkin research reports :angry:
Original post by bloomblaze
why do people do all nighters?

Can be for various reasons, may be working towards a deadline and haven't finished, they may be studying. Some people do it to help their sleeping pattern or some people are just insomniac.

I don't normally prepare for an all-nighter, in the words of Nike I just do it :biggrin:
Reply 43
Original post by rawwwwr!
sounds like mine

frikkin research reports :angry:

Vibrations in a cantilever beam, scintillating stuff.
I hate doing all nighters by myself it never works i always get too tired :frown:
Reply 45
Original post by Kasc
Vibrations in a cantilever beam, scintillating stuff.

oh god that sounds horrible, and i thought mine was bad

personality variables and locus of control. BLEURGH.
Reply 46
Original post by rawwwwr!
oh god that sounds horrible, and i thought mine was bad

personality variables and locus of control. BLEURGH.

And yours sounds horrendous ;-)
Reply 47
I think the whole far and panic thing works just fine, if you're really that concerned about it :P

My problem is that I get so close to finishing and then I develop a certain sense of cockiness where I tell myself "Oh good, only 149 words left to go! Might as well have a break" and then I turn on the TV or get distracted on the Internet...and so when I come back to the essay I'm too tired to care :'(

I've got 2159/2250 words so far, and that's without an introduction or conclusion...coincidentally, those are the two paragraphs I struggle with most :frown:
Equip myself with coffee, cold water, and gum. Music helps also, if it's loud and energetic. :yep:
Reply 49
Original post by Charlski
Tea, coffee, tea, coffee, tea, coffee. I'm on one now I'm afraid, got a ****load of work to hand in tomorrow and it sure as hell isn't near enough finished yet!

Yay.....

:eek: someone negged me! Is it in order to persuade me to change my terrible-example-of-a-student ways? Meanie!

Some of my best work has been done the night before hand in :yep:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 50
Original post by bloomblaze
why do people do all nighters?

The night is actually an incredibly good time to do work. There is nobody online on facebook, there are no news, there is nothing new to look at on the internet that can distract you. Hell, even TSR dies down by 6am.

Additionally, you can spend the whole day preparing (reading) for the essay, and then write it up during the night.

If you can do a piece of text in one go, it ends up being a lot more consistent and flowing, than those texts written in many sittings. Even my dissertation supervisor admitted it; if you're able to do a 4000 word piece in one go, do it.

My main problem in recent all-nighters has been excessive preparation by drinking ****loads of coffee and then getting all jumpy. A cup or two is prefectly fine, no need to overdo on caffeine.
last month i pulled about 8 all nighters in around 2 1/2 weeks to do all my reading for, and to do, my history coursework.

Two things i used:

1. Green Tea - great for a metabolic boost to keep you going
2. Every hour and a half I watched an episode of the inbetweeners, and then after i got through that,it was on to skins...kept me motivated to stay awake so i could carry on watching the episode at the next interval!
I have no need to prepare. They happen all the time without my trying anyway.

I don't really see why people think it's so cool to stay up all night doing **** all.

Caffeine, if anything, makes it less likely that I won't sleep. It initially does pretty much **** all, even if I have loads, but unless I keep consuming it after an hour or two I begin to get drowsier than usual.
Reply 53
Coffee doesn't work for me anymore either... I'm not sure if it ever did, it's been too long to tell :smile:

I'm pretty sure that if you know you've got a job to do, you'll do it, no matter how little time there is.

I prefer to work at night too, apart from being a bit tired some nights, I do find that I get a heck of a lot done because no one is awake to distract me :smile:
Reply 54
Original post by concubine

I don't really see why people think it's so cool to stay up all night doing **** all.

Let me know if I misunderstand but no one has said this is cool, and generally, we aren't doing **** all :/
energy drinks... relentless is a musttt, red one pref, then brown... but if not redbull will do but does result in :frown:
chocolate :biggrin: todays was a double decker duo! chocolate raisins (sp?) are a usual but i couldnt find any today :frown:
lots of fizzy drinks... todays apple flavour :biggrin:
tea... lots of tea..... i like tea... :biggrin:
and something edible... usually chicken nuggets and chips ... sometimes pizza... sometimes smash.... or if its in library night means pots of pasta and sarnies ....
x

i do all nighters because im rubbish at doing work over long periods... i could have 3 weeks to do it and i will sit and get every thing out and write about 2 sentences several times... but those last 2 days i can get 1000 out in hour n half and there good!
i wrote a 2000 word essay in 3 hours (with no prep) and it was one of my best marks :|
pressure makes me work better which is BAD
i also dont get stressed/worry so last min is the norm for me... i do at least 1 nighter per piece of work ... its the way i do things now :s-smilie:
x
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 56
Original post by Hravan
I don't really do all-nighters when I need to work. What I do is go to sleep at about 8pm then wake up at 3am and do the work then. 3am to 10am are my peak times for productivity as long as I've had at least 5 hours sleep before I wake up at 3am. And it has to be waking up at 3am or 4am to do the work.. Can't wake up at 8am say and start working.. It won't happen :sad: Oh and of course a cup of tea is needed as soon as I wake up and a smoke as well :biggrin:

At the moment I'm probably going to be doing an all-nighter as my sleeping patterns are ****ed thanks to being rather ill :colonhash:

I've done that now. Except I'm falling asleep in my chair
Reply 57
Original post by maskofsanity
I have to be up at 8AM, should I just do an all nighter?

I'm feeling quite tired, but don't know how much good 3 hours sleep will do me...

I think it'd be worth it tbh.
Reply 58
Original post by HJV
The night is actually an incredibly good time to do work. There is nobody online on facebook, there are no news, there is nothing new to look at on the internet that can distract you. Hell, even TSR dies down by 6am.

Additionally, you can spend the whole day preparing (reading) for the essay, and then write it up during the night.

If you can do a piece of text in one go, it ends up being a lot more consistent and flowing, than those texts written in many sittings. Even my dissertation supervisor admitted it; if you're able to do a 4000 word piece in one go, do it.

My main problem in recent all-nighters has been excessive preparation by drinking ****loads of coffee and then getting all jumpy. A cup or two is prefectly fine, no need to overdo on caffeine.

Totally agree, i find the night the perfect time to work, everybody in the house is asleep so its nice and quiet, less distracting thing are on such as TV, i find that if i sleep for a few hours prior to pulling a all nighter im more focus then i usaully would be during the day, just bang out the work.

TBH Caffeine has worn off for me, about 2 years ago, i started doing all nighters, lots of coffee and pro plus and it worked a treat, i even took double the recomended amount of pro plus, like 12 in the space of 5 hours, but from then on the effects have pretty much worn off, i know it doesnt do anything anymore but still i drink a nice mug of coffee as if it works.
Reply 59
Just finished an all nighter stupid AS chemistry exam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending