The Student Room Group

The Oxford UNIQ Summer Schools Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by Ilikefairylights.
I only mentioned two books, because the character count is so restricted.

They'd probably prefer a couple of more in depth mentions than a list of what books you've read, because you have to show passion and enthusiasm and so on.

My teacher told me to get rid off the books and talk about sports, music etc. I'm just gonna ignore her. The website wants you to show an interest in the subject. I mentioned three books, but in the word count its pretty difficult to make any worthwhile comment!

I'm trying to pick books that aren't as well known but at the same time not too obscure...
Original post by candide
My teacher told me to get rid off the books and talk about sports, music etc. I'm just gonna ignore her. The website wants you to show an interest in the subject. I mentioned three books, but in the word count its pretty difficult to make any worthwhile comment!

I'm trying to pick books that aren't as well known but at the same time not too obscure...

You are right. Definitely ignore your teacher. Good luck!
sent application today :smile: though for some reason id got the number of characters wrong for the personal statment and had to cut some bits out on the online application form :s-smilie:
Anyone else applying for Earth Sciences (Geology)? I haven't sent off my application yet, but I'm planning to soon. I was really panicking because I thought it had to be 2000 words, not characters, what a relief it was when I found out otherwise.
Reply 244
Hey, I went to the UNIQ summer school last august to do the medicine week. I got a conditional offer from Oxford a while ago.

For the personal statement, treat it like a a proper uni personal statement. This means that, for Oxford, you want it to be 70-80% academic and then some extracurricular bits on the end. The only difference is, you want to say why you want to go to the summer school - what you hope to get out of it.

They actually told us that lots of people didn't put enough academic stuff on it. For medicine, I'd talk about some specific areas that interest you (related to independent reading or in school) and also any work experience/volunteering. Make sure that with any extracurricular activities you mention, specify why this will help you with medicine in some way.

I talked about being quite unsure about wanting to go, but really wanting to change my perception of the uni. I don't know if it means anything, but the summer school is aimed at people who aren't sure. I avoided mentioning anything that attracted me to the university and focused on the summer school itself.

I come from a pretty terrible school so that helps as well! :biggrin:
I'm finding it really difficult to start my personal statement... I know what I want to write, but I can't start it. Any advice? Also, is anyone else applying for Earth Sciences?
Reply 246
Original post by Backslash
I go to a grammar school and got a place on it last year, I'd definitely recommend it, it's a really great experience! It only encouraged me to apply to Oxford even more and I did apply and got an offer. You should definitely go for it!

That's good! Best wishes!
I hope that you don't mind me asking, what was your GCSE grades like?
Obviously, your grades should be far better than mine, as you did went to summer school and now you got an offer from oxford. That's jsut amazing! I mean you are relly one of the luckiest people out there!
Also what career do you want to go for?
I've applied for UNIQ summer school and i know that i'm sort of a person, who's never into these stuff. I'm applying for medicine, and i know that it's really competitive, but im still trying my very best.
Also, do you know whether re-sits matters. I mean i've just done my 30 % exams for my biology and physics. And i don't feel confident of getting a good grade. Well, biology was nationally so hard, and i can keep a scope for it and physics , which i'm really screwed and im planning to drop it nxt year.

:biggrin:
Hi :biggrin:
i really want to apply to the Oxford summer school and the Sutton Trust
but when reading the criteria it got me really getting worried it stated that i need 5A*
but i have 4A* and the rest A ( in English Literature, Maths and Science and Textiles )
does this mean i have no chance in getting into Oxford or Cambridge to do medicine when i apply to university and the summer school in August

please reply
Confused Year 12 !!
Reply 248
Hi! I work on the UNIQ Summer Schools so can tell you about the teacher's reference, but if you want more info call me on 01865 280126.

Your referee only needs to confirm that you

a) Are at the A level school you noted on your application form
b) Attended the GCSE school you noted on your application form
c) Achieved the GCSE grades you noted on your application form

They might also need to confirm whether you have any extenuating circumstances e.g., are in care, have suffered a bereavement, have had educational upheaval for example a number of supply teachers over a term rather than one teacher in the run up to GCSEs.

They won't have to 'write' a reference in the traditional sense, just confirm that what you have said in your application form is correct!
Reply 249
hey, I work on the UNIQ Summer Schools and am one of the poeple who chooses who comes on the school. It really doesn't matter when you apply as long as it's before the deadline. We don't look at any of them until after the deadline has passed. Better to take your time and do it well than rush it just to get it in early! Having said that, try not to leave it until the last hour or so of the deadline because the system does become overloaded and there's a possibility that it might crash if everyone tries to submit at once.
Got 2076 characters written for a Computer Science personal statement. Time to get refining!

Edit: Down to 2005...
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Twilight D
Hi :biggrin:
i really want to apply to the Oxford summer school and the Sutton Trust
but when reading the criteria it got me really getting worried it stated that i need 5A*
but i have 4A* and the rest A ( in English Literature, Maths and Science and Textiles )
does this mean i have no chance in getting into Oxford or Cambridge to do medicine when i apply to university and the summer school in August

please reply
Confused Year 12 !!

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/working_with_schools_and_colleges/uniq/selection_criteria.html

Read that.
Reply 252
Original post by Backslash
Sorry for the late reply! My GCSE grades were 6A*, 5A and 1B. The majority of applicants had at least 6 A*s, but there were some with less than that too.

As far as resits go, I did a resit and it wasn't an issue, Oxford don't seem too bothered about those. Anyway, good luck with your application!

It's OK! those are amazing grades compared to myn. I've got 2 A*@s, 6 A'S,2B's and a Distinction for IT. I guess then, they wont take me in..... But I'm trying very hard in AS and try to get to the maximum atandard they want.
I took the plunge and I applied :biggrin:

I don't hold out that much hope as I didn't get 6A* at GCSE....but you never know if you don't try - will find out by the 22nd of April if I get in.

Good Luck everbody with your applications...who knows, in 5/6 months time I might just see you there :wink:
Original post by Niki_girl
I took the plunge and I applied :biggrin:

I don't hold out that much hope as I didn't get 6A* at GCSE....but you never know if you don't try - will find out by the 22nd of April if I get in.

Good Luck everbody with your applications...who knows, in 5/6 months time I might just see you there :wink:

Well, yes, but you did do an awful lot of them ... However did you end up doing so many?! Did you do them over 3 years or something?

Anyway, all the very best of luck with your application :smile:
Original post by Festina lente
Well, yes, but you did do an awful lot of them ... However did you end up doing so many?! Did you do them over 3 years or something?

Anyway, all the very best of luck with your application :smile:

I did Triple Science, and so I have 3 seperate GCSEs for science, and I took 50% of each of them and 50% of RE in Year 10, also I did Humanities in Year 9 - so I had them spread over a couple of years...I go to a normal school but we just take a lot of subjects...some people even did things like Astronomy GCSE and stuff in year 9/10 too :rolleyes:
Original post by Niki_girl
I did Triple Science, and so I have 3 seperate GCSEs for science, and I took 50% of each of them and 50% of RE in Year 10, also I did Humanities in Year 9 - so I had them spread over a couple of years...I go to a normal school but we just take a lot of subjects...some people even did things like Astronomy GCSE and stuff in year 9/10 too :rolleyes:

Blimey! I feel my 10 are quite inadequate :frown:

Anyway it's really good that you have applied and I hope you get a place and enjoy Oxford :smile: Of course if you don't get a place (it must be so hard for them to decide just on the papers so please don't be put off if you miss out) you must come over for the open days etc.
Original post by Festina lente
Blimey! I feel my 10 are quite inadequate :frown:

Anyway it's really good that you have applied and I hope you get a place and enjoy Oxford :smile: Of course if you don't get a place (it must be so hard for them to decide just on the papers so please don't be put off if you miss out) you must come over for the open days etc.

Thank you, and don't feel inadequate! One of my friends got 9A*s and 4As at GCSE :eek:.....I guess everyone's different and it's all considered in context with everything else! :smile:
Reply 258
Just wondering whether anyone as attended/applied who doesn't specifically want to go to Oxford? I'm not sure but I'll probably be applying to Cambridge instead; unfortunately, based on school (grammar) and financial circumstances (no EMA) I've been told there isn't much point applying for the Sutton courses and so this would be my best opportunity to get subject (and uni) experience, your thoughts?
I'm applying to UNIQ, for English :smile: I got 7 A*s, 2 As and 2 Bs for GCSE. I know a lot rests on the personal statement, so I really hope I get it right! Good luck everyone!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending