The Student Room Group

please help me!GCSE additional science coursework

Hi everyone.

I just had a question for you- im in year 11 at the moment, and im doing additional science- ocr 21st century. Im doing my coursework at the moment, and the people doing the same course as me, or doing triple science with the same board, will know that the marks are out of 40 (8x5).
The thing is im aiming for the top grade , but a triple science teacher at my school is saying that its is not possible for double sciencers to get the top grade and highest mark- only triple sciencers can get the top grade as they have done more advanced stuff than us.

1)Is this true that double sciencers can only get an a not a*? I want to get the a* grade, not just the A grade in course work (which is the maximum double sciencers can get says the teacher).

2) And will having an a grade in coursework with a* in exams overall result in an a grade over all. If it does i dont want that.

3)Can someone please tell me how i can get a* grades in my yr11 coursework please?

Thanks for your help
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
anybody
Reply 3
why isnt any body helping me!
Reply 4
anyone?
Reply 5
Original post by nerd1234
anyone?

I'm doing additional science, I didn't take triple science and I got an A* in my coursework.

I'm pretty sure whoever told you you were unable to get an A* was lying.

As for getting an A*... just do a lot of outside research, not just the internet. What is it? Rate of reaction?

Finally, getting an A in the coursework certainly does not mean you cannot get an A* over all.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by Ears
I'm doing additional science, I didn't take triple science and I got an A* in my coursework.

I'm pretty sure whoever told you you were unable to get an A* was lying.

As for getting an A*... just do a lot of outside research, not just the internet. What is it? Rate of reaction?

Finally, getting an A in the coursework certainly does not mean you cannot get an A* over all.

Good luck!

Finally someone answered!:biggrin: Thanks for that. Yes i am doing rates of reaction. What outside research are you talking about? My teacher said to find some information on the internet (scientific papers especially) on enzymes and analyze them. Is this the case?
If it is could you please tell me what sort of paper it is and where can i get them from (website) as i have searched and have only found Phd level stuff which i dont understand. Thanks .:smile:
Reply 7
Finally someone answered!:biggrin: Thanks for that. Yes i am doing rates of reaction. What outside research are you talking about? My teacher said to find some information on the internet (scientific papers especially) on enzymes and analyze them. Is this the case?
If it is could you please tell me what sort of paper it is and where can i get them from (website) as i have searched and have only found Phd level stuff which i dont understand. Thanks .:smile:

I remember I went into detail about the different specifics. Easily could do a whole page on collision theory. Write about lock and key model. All the different factors that affect rate of reaction. I assume you have done you own preliminary and main experiments and come to evaluations and conclusions?

The internet is good, but everyone will be using that. I used websites like bitesize in general. But if you have revision text books, or pop down to the library and see if they have any science books, you can get a lot more information which others may not have!
Reply 8
Original post by Ears
I remember I went into detail about the different specifics. Easily could do a whole page on collision theory. Write about lock and key model. All the different factors that affect rate of reaction. I assume you have done you own preliminary and main experiments and come to evaluations and conclusions?

The internet is good, but everyone will be using that. I used websites like bitesize in general. But if you have revision text books, or pop down to the library and see if they have any science books, you can get a lot more information which others may not have!

Ok thanks for the information- thats going to help a lot. :biggrin: Btw if you dont mind me asking what mark did you get overall out of 40 for the coursework?
Reply 9
Ok thanks for the information- thats going to help a lot. :biggrin: Btw if you dont mind me asking what mark did you get overall out of 40 for the coursework?

Erm, 39 I think :smile:
Good luck with yours, I'm sure you can get an A*!!
P.s make sure the conclusion is good! (And the presentation, easy marks there!)
Reply 10
Original post by Ears
Erm, 39 I think :smile:
Good luck with yours, I'm sure you can get an A*!!
P.s make sure the conclusion is good! (And the presentation, easy marks there!)

Thanks :smile: Im trying my absolute best! (Just finished the evaluation now- just the further knowledge left to do!)
Reply 11
Hi everyone.

I just had a question for you- im in year 11 at the moment, and im doing additional science- ocr 21st century. Im doing my coursework at the moment, and the people doing the same course as me, or doing triple science with the same board, will know that the marks are out of 40 (8x5).
The thing is im aiming for the top grade , but a triple science teacher at my school is saying that its is not possible for double sciencers to get the top grade and highest mark- only triple sciencers can get the top grade as they have done more advanced stuff than us.

1)Is this true that double sciencers can only get an a not a*? I want to get the a* grade, not just the A grade in course work (which is the maximum double sciencers can get says the teacher).

2) And will having an a grade in coursework with a* in exams overall result in an a grade over all. If it does i dont want that.

3)Can someone please tell me how i can get a* grades in my yr11 coursework please?

Thanks for your help

'Ears' has pretty much answered everything already, but yes, I also felt that I should confirm that you can definitely get an A* if you take additional science.

My school didn't actually offer triple science at the time, only standard and additional (they started offering triple to the year below mine). I got two A*s in the exams and I'm pretty sure I got around 38/40 for the rate of reaction coursework. Just talk about the different factors that affect rate of reaction such as surface area, catalysts, temperature etc... And how the collisions are only successful if: 1. the activation energy is reached and 2. the particles collide in the right position.

Hope this helps! Good luck.
Reply 12
Original post by k3ro
'Ears' has pretty much answered everything already, but yes, I also felt that I should confirm that you can definitely get an A* if you take additional science.

My school didn't actually offer triple science at the time, only standard and additional (they started offering triple to the year below mine). I got two A*s in the exams and I'm pretty sure I got around 38/40 for the rate of reaction coursework. Just talk about the different factors that affect rate of reaction such as surface area, catalysts, temperature etc... And how the collisions are only successful if: 1. the activation energy is reached and 2. the particles collide in the right position.

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Thanks for that:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending