The Student Room Group

Y9 Options- Triple Science or History?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BookWormShanti

Original post by BookWormShanti
Seriously? Wow! :eek: I figured no one actually had a clue who I was really! :tongue: Thank you :biggrin: What category btw?

My compulsory subjects were: English lit, lang, Maths, Statistics, Triple Science (in theory only Double was compulsory but I was strongly encouraged to the point where I think they would have held me at gun point if I refused!) and ICT (although I don't have any lessons for that, just make it up at home).

I chose 3 options: History, RE and Geography; then French as my language (taking 1 is compulsory as we are a language school), with German as my additional (means I miss all IT lessons and half of my PE to fit it in. I do Latin after school. My predicted grades are all in my sig :colondollar:

What about you?

Way sure no problem buddy :biggrin: pmed you on it

ps btw people choose what you want for yourselves, after all it is your future
Reply 61
Thanks for all the info and the benefits/drawbacks- I really appreciate it :smile:

I've looked at the geography and history courses and I love them both, and I also like the triple science course. :smile:

But one more thing, which GCSE will be more useful, history or Triple Science? What sort of skills will be acquired from each course? And what sort of skills, acquired from either triple science or history, will universities be looking for?

I'm going to be taking IT courses, like computer science, at university so which GCSE do you think will be more useful? :smile:

Sorry if I'm asking too many questions :smile:

Original post by blueray

ps btw people choose what you want for yourselves, after all it is your future

Yeah, but some of us are looking for advice :wink:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 62
history is an amazing subject :smile: my favourite by far.
I strongly advise you to take it , it's well respected and will go nicely with your option of French( which I also take ).
Original post by charchie.

Original post by charchie.
history is an amazing subject :smile: my favourite by far.
I strongly advise you to take it , it's well respected and will go nicely with your option of French( which I also take ).

If you take history prepare to write loads and remember lots on top of french :tongue:
Reply 64
Original post by blueray
If you take history prepare to write loads and remember lots on top of french :tongue:

So what do you advise I take- history or triple science? :wink: :tongue: :smile:
If you got a level 5/6 in yr 9 i dont advice doing triple, espeically if you don't want to do anything science related in A level. But, I done double scinece and still achieved an AAAB physics, biology, chemistry, maths
Original post by bobbricks
@angelmxxx
I'm taking Core Maths, Statistics and "Additional Maths"- I've got no idea what Additional Maths is, though... :smile:
Triple Science? May I ask why you advise that instead of history? :smile:

@BookWormShanti
Thanks for the tips, but I was wondering, won't Triple Science look impressive to colleges and universities? Or won't they care whether I took Double or Triple Science?

I'm thinking of taking Physics/Biology, history, geology and computer science courses in College and University. I'd also like to mention that I like history and geography equally, but have decided that I will do geography, because of the high grades I'm achieving in class. I'm achieving roughly level 5s and 6s in both history and science... :frown:

Can anyone give me the benefits (and maybe drawbacks) of taking either history or triple science? Pretty please? :smile:

I think additional maths is another GCSE... not too sure! However it might be your school's code for "doing gcse maths quickly and starting the a-level" so definitely check. You could be doing 3 maths gcses or 1 - definitely go and find out exactly which GCSEs you will be doing! Best to ask your head of year/form tutor on Monday, you may even find that PSHE is just a lesson a week and not actually for a GCSE :smile:

Unis won't mind about triple science I don't think, just as long as you get top marks in your A-levels...and doing triple science will mean the gap between GCSE and A-levels is smaller, and stop you having to catch up during the first term of your AS year. So it might improve your grades...which would mean universities will like you.

(Sorry if that doesn't make sense - I mean that they probably won't mind if you take double or triple science, just that you get AAA/etc at A-level. Taking triple science could help you ensure you get top marks at A-level ...so would be beneficial in that sense.)
OP, have a look at this website to see the difference between double and triple science content:

http://www.cgpbooks.co.uk/pages/books_gcse_science.asp

You can 'look inside' the books at the contents page and some sample pages which might help you?

(Double science = core science + additional science)

(triple science = each of biology, chemistry & physics).
I would say drop business and take french.
You need a language and at least one humanities which you've got for geo nowadays.
Good luck.
Reply 69
Original post by Rubbaduckzilla
I would say drop business and take french.
You need a language and at least one humanities which you've got for geo nowadays.
Good luck.

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough but I have already chosen that I will be doing geography and french, and will not be doing business :wink:

The two other subjects I like are history and triple science. I can only choose one out of those two :frown:

I'll be taking Physics and either Biology or Chemistry at A levels, if that helps :wink: I think you need Physics to study Computer Science? :smile:
Sorry if I wasn't clear enough but I have already chosen that I will be doing geography and french, and will not be doing business :wink:

The two other subjects I like are history and triple science. I can only choose one out of those two :frown:

I'll be taking Physics and either Biology or Chemistry at A levels, if that helps :wink: I think you need Physics to study Computer Science? :smile:

You don't need Physics technically but it's very very useful, and as uni entry is so competitive you want to maximise your chances, and not do anything which could put you at a disadvantage. :smile:

If you want to take 2 science A-levels I really recommend you take triple science, and continue your interest in History as an extra-curricular hobby. Local libraries have loads of books, and amazon is really cheap so you'll never be short of historical books to read! :smile:
then take history because its intresting, science bored the hell out of me

triple science then as you already have an humanities.
Well once again, good luck.
Reply 73
Original post by angelmxxx
You don't need Physics technically but it's very very useful, and as uni entry is so competitive you want to maximise your chances, and not do anything which could put you at a disadvantage. :smile:

If you want to take 2 science A-levels I really recommend you take triple science, and continue your interest in History as an extra-curricular hobby. Local libraries have loads of books, and amazon is really cheap so you'll never be short of historical books to read! :smile:

Hmmm...Okay, I will do Physics but maybe not chemistry anymore, if you don't need that in University- or do you? :smile:
My favourite subject is geography- so I'm definitely taking that. I get good grades in French and don't want to take it as A levels, and my teacher thinks I should take it. I have no idea what business studies is like but it's supposed to be challenging, and I'm interested in starting a business. And triple science- apparently, it will help you get into college and you might find the science course easier if you take it...

BTW, how different is triple science compared to double science? :s-smilie:

French would be good to have just so you have a language to GCSE, looks good and people underestimate (imo) how useful it is just to be able to speak a language to some level of fluency even if you're just going on holiday. From what people have said I wouldn't call business a particularly "challenging" GCSE, and also at my school certainly (although you'd have to check with your school) it's not one that you need the GCSE in in order to be able to take it for A level so you might want to consider that - if you want to take a science or two at AS you will find it much easier having taking triple science as it goes into a lot more depth and there is some common content between the 3rd GCSE unit (that you don't do in double science) and the AS, whereas business you could pick up from scratch as many schools don't even offer it as a GCSE.

So I would say Geography because you like it, French because a language is a useful skill to have and triple science because it's a better basis for A level sciences especially considering you want a technical profession.

Hope that helps! :smile:

EDIT: and I would stick with those options and not do History (just seen your later updates) as you already have a humanity in Geography and you're heading down more of a sciencey route for A levels by the looks of it - triple science will be more useful.
(edited 13 years ago)

So what do you advise I take- history or triple science? :wink: :tongue: :smile:

Take triple science i did it was amazing much more respected, more demand for science jobs.
Imo history is easier by far and you can still pick law anyway so no problem go for triple science.
Reply 76
Out of interest, is it more important for you to choose a subject you enjoy and like, or to choose a subject which would open up the most opportunities in the future, or help you getting into college or University? :smile:
History- fun and enjoyable
Science- important/ increases your chances of college and University

:wink:
Out of interest, is it more important for you to choose a subject you enjoy and like, or to choose a subject which would open up the most opportunities in the future, or help you getting into college or University? :smile:
History- fun and enjoyable
Science- important/ increases your chances of college and University

:wink:

Well it depends, you can argue that History is more important than Scinece - but that will only apply to the students that want to do law, etc. So if you want to become a doctor or something then obviously science is better.

Do something you are GOOD at and you will enjoy. Dont be pressurised by people.
Reply 78
Original post by sabik13
Well it depends, you can argue that History is more important than Scinece - but that will only apply to the students that want to do law, etc. So if you want to become a doctor or something then obviously science is better.

Do something you are GOOD at and you will enjoy. Dont be pressurised by people.

Well, I want a job in IT so I guess either will do? :confused:
I get the same NC grades in science and history...And I enjoy both equally...Although I guess I enjoy history a tad more, but I might just take triple science if it really does help you getting you into University...After all, it is one of the core subjects :s-smilie:
your school will want you to do french
no question
but id go for science over history given work/result and actual usefulness
history can be interesting but not overly useful in the real world
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest