The Student Room Group

Y9 Options- Triple Science or History?

Poll

What would you choose?

---:I've changed the name of the thread and please skip to page 3 :smile:

I've made up my mind on most of my options except two which I need help choosing :smile:
I want to take Triple Science, which is optional, but I also want to take French. However I don't know which one to choose because I definitely my other options which are geography and business studies...

Triple Science is optional whereas Double Science is compulsory. They are both similar and we learn physics, chemistry and biology in both. However, triple science goes into much more depth and I think they are 3 separate GCSEs whilst double science is just one GCSE...I'm very good at French as I've been getting level 7s in it but for science, I'm only getting level 6s and 5s on the National Curriculum.

Please tell me what I should take...I don't find either difficult, but I find science tests more difficult than French assessments...

A lot of people I know are taking Triple Science but there others I know who are taking French. One says that Triple Science will look good on your academic achievements while French will "give you the edge" when you go and get a job, or if you go to university.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'd advise you to do French, its highly valuable to have a language qualification nowadays and its highly respected by universities.
Reply 2
Drop business or geography and take them both. They'll both be far mroe useful. Otherwise it depends what your future degree route is gonna be. If you're tending towards the sciences, take triple science, and if the arts, take french.

Although I had a similar choice at GCSE - I could have taken German, or triple science. I took German. (I later dropped it due to a health condition but that's irrelevent).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
What do you want to do in the future?
I mean, if you're set on doing lots of sciences at Alevel Triple science might be helpful. However, triple doesn't go into that much more depth than double so if you only want to do one science (or none) at a level i would probably advise taking French.
French isn't too bad, you can prepare a lot for the speaking and writing elements (unless it's changed since 2009) and the reading/listening aren't generally too bad.
Both are strong gcse choices so it doesn't really matter too much.
Actually, if you want to get the English Baccalaureate you'll need a foreign language...
I did both at gcse if you have any questions :smile:
Double Science is two GCSEs.
I think French would be of more worth because it's a qualification in something different (and it's actually useful)
Reply 5
I want to have a job in IT, maybe go and work for Microsoft, Google, or Apple or just have an ordinary job of being an IT technician...Sorry, I should've mentioned it before---so Triple Science or French after knowing this? :smile:
Reply 6
Omg your picking options the same as mine. Although I could pick four so: business, french, geography, and triple science :tongue:

Triple Science is my favourite subject and French is my least favourite so it would be pretty simple for me to choose, so I'm probably pretty biased. Also, do you really want to do business? Because I liked it also up to when I had to actually take a qualification and it got verrrry dull. :rolleyes:
Reply 7
triple science was actually bloody useful. I'm into AS chemistry unit 2 and I recognise a lot of this stuff from my triple science.

and drop something else, and take up French. UCL require a modern language at GCSE for all courses stating from 2012.
Do what you want at GCSE i doubt its going to make a big difference when your applying to uni , they'll be more concerned about your A-Levels , i did a Media studies GCSE what a joke that was
DEFINITELY SCIENCES! Sorry for the caps lock, but EVERY SINGLE PERSON I know who does double science regrets it terribly, especially as A levels are coming up soon and they're realising they aren't very prepared for A level sciences at all... especially if you want to be an IT techy, triple sciences is definitely what you want to be going for. Don't make the wrong choice, you'll regret it in the long run.

:smile: Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 10
Drop business studies, do triple science and French. Why would you want to do business studies? :lolwut: Btw why can't you take them all anyway, do people not do 10 GCSEs any more?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Well I am taking both, and personally it depends. For French you need the memory and also if it is the only language you are taking? it will look good. triple science on the other hand requires a lot of dedication and concentration and unless you really like science! (because trust me you'll be doing a lot of it!) the should you pick triple science. Also, don't stress too much about your grades in year 9, most people improve once they got to gcse level because of all the exam stress etc.
Reply 12
Hmmm...It's strange that everyone recommends I take French but now people are recommending I take triple science... :s-smilie:

I'd like to do business studies because I'm considering to maybe even start my own IT business when I grow up... :smile:

@Ewan
We can do 12 GCSEs, but 9 of them are compulsory and that leaves the remaining 3- which are optional. :frown:

My favourite subject is geography- so I'm definitely taking that. I get good grades in French and don't want to take it as A levels, and my teacher thinks I should take it. I have no idea what business studies is like but it's supposed to be challenging, and I'm interested in starting a business. And triple science- apparently, it will help you get into college and you might find the science course easier if you take it...

BTW, how different is triple science compared to double science? :s-smilie:

Thanks for all the help so far! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by bobbricks
I've made up my mind on most of my options except two which I need help choosing :smile:
I want to take Triple Science, which is optional, but I also want to take French. However I don't know which one to choose because I definitely my other options which are geography and business studies...

Triple Science is optional whereas Double Science is compulsory. They are both similar and we learn physics, chemistry and biology in both. However, triple science goes into much more depth and I think they are 3 separate GCSEs whilst double science is just one GCSE...I'm very good at French as I've been getting level 7s in it but for science, I'm only getting level 6s and 5s on the National Curriculum.

Please tell me what I should take...I don't find either difficult, but I find science tests more difficult than French assessments...

A lot of people I know are taking Triple Science but there others I know who are taking French. One says that Triple Science will look good on your academic achievements while French will "give you the edge" when you go and get a job, or if you go to university.

You don't need science at all in the modern world. Because you just follow the instructions that come with everything, if that fails, Google it.

Learning a new language on the other hand, is far more useful in real life and will broaden your options.
Don't do business studies, it's the biggest waste of time ever
Doing double science gives you two GCSES, but triple will give you 3 GCSES - each in the seperate sciences.

Since you are achieving higher levels in French, my advise would be to chose French. Especially as you will be taking science anyway.
Also, it will give you wider options for the future - and if you want to go to university, a language can often be advantageous and it is always a nice skill to have.

If you decide in the future that you would like to do A levels, you would be able to do science just by taking the double one, and although triple can put you at a slight advantage (i took triple myself), the people who don't take it do fine without it. So French would be a good idea - you may decide you'd like to do this at A level and then you'd be able to do French and Science! :smile: Its best to keep your options as wide open as possible

*However, if you were thinking about going for a career in something competative and sceince based like medicine, TAKE BOTH.

Good luck :smile:, and remember, your school will most probably allow you to change your subjects in the first few weeks of school if you decide any are not for you :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 16
I am in year 12, but at gcse i did triple science french business and history.
If i were you i wouldn't do business, i found it so boring- just common sence. I thought it'd be economics and stuff like that, but it was about the lay out of an office, and why call centres save money...
French was very good, adn i'm doing it for A level, but i'd advice triple science (of you can't do both). In my school if you were in the top sets for science you'd do triple science and have to opt out to double, whereas everyone else would do double. So there were four classes doing triple and everyone else wasn't. So in my school at least the classes which tended to be most focucsed and least diffrutive were the triple science ones. Also triple science sets you in good stead to do science A levels which you might want to do (i didn't really have much idea in year 9, dunno bout you :P)
Reply 17
hey
science becomes quite useful depending on what your going to do for your career and alevels,but as u wanna do an IT field it might b different but also keep in mind that when SOMETIMES applying for colleges or work they want a foreign language, but at the end of the day its going to be you who goes through it all, so if you really prefer french over science then pick it! :tongue:
Want to do science A levels? Do triple science.
Want to do anything else? Do French. I noticed you want to do business studies. I'd recommend French so much for that. The reasons are probably obvious.

Can't go wrong with either really though.
Just read that you'd like to be an IT technician, I'd still advise French :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest