The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9260
Original post by The Mr Z
They won't be harsher, and they wont be critical because they know that many people go to extraordinary lengths to make Oxbridge applications, with a mistaken view of the necessary standard of entry.

They may view it as being a tactical mistake, but admissions are not done on how good at exam tactics someone is - far from it, admissions try to sift out those who have done well from good tactics from those who have done well because they're good. It's why they look down on taking a lot of resits. The candidate was unprepared two years early - so what?

If an candidate got a B or C in an exam taken two years early then they would be given the opportunity to improve on that at the correct age, and if they did better then the early sittings would probably be ignored. If they didn't resit then Oxbridge would try to hazard a guess at what they would have got if they had sat them with the correct preparation. In this respect a B or maybe a C would probably be fine, but a D or low C would probably indicate the candidate would not have managed a high A/A* if sat at the correct time.

There wont be repercussions - Cambridge isn't going to penalise a candidate for being "too keen" and taking their exams too early, for trying to punch above their weight and putting huge amounts of extra work in - the people that do that are the same people who go on to get starred 1sts.
And there wont be repercussions for trying to be extremely outstanding and ending up being just mostly outstanding instead.

Well you're clearly in a better position to comment about such matters so if that's the case, then I apologise, I was wrong.
Reply 9261
These things will only be mentioned in your Personal Statement.

For Oxbridge, or any Russel group uni, good advice is that a personal statement should be AT LEAST 4/5ths directly subject related.

That really doesn't leave you much to write about those other things with. And they'll most likely be ignored. (None of these really mark you out as a good doctor either)

You're not trying to fool a job interviewer with your "transferable skills" rubbish that's all the fashion in HR at the moment - Oxbridge are looking specifically for pure academic credentials.

Long and short - reading around subject, work experience, public lectures, masterclasses and summer courses - Desirable. Music, Duke of Edinburgh, Charity work, Sport - not desirable.

Okay thank's for the help :smile:
This however is problematic.

Your choice of subjects is very poor for a law application - law wants to see essay subjects like History, English lit, Religious Studies and Philosophy, Economics.

You only essay subject is also your worst - B in English Lit at AS.

Regardless of taking things early, this is a weak application for Law.

Not sure it's such a big deal:
http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/law/index.html
Good applicants tend to have taken subjects at A Level (or equivalent) that develop a careful, analytical approach to reading and which require them to present information in a way which is well structured and thoughtfully argued. In our experience, applicants with backgrounds in Mathematics and science subjects perform as well as those whose background is in humanities subjects. Many Colleges are pleased to see applicants with a mixed background in these subjects.

But in any case I suspect the fact that this person doesn't have an A* means it's extremely unlikely they'll give them an offer. That's the real problem.
Original post by milienhaus
And yet it's marked as an art not a science so the possibility of failure is consideably decreased. I think in my year about 20% of philosophers got less than a 2.i compared with nearly 35% of mathmos.

Yeah, but don't 30% of the mathmos get a 1st? In philosophy it's always about 15%. Also, it's harder to be really really good at Philosophy. Just look at Descartes, Leibniz, Russell, Turing, etc. Got it right in maths, screwed it up in philosophy (yeah I know, it's a cheap argument).
Original post by LeSacMagique
Not sure it's such a big deal:

But in any case I suspect the fact that this person doesn't have an A* means it's extremely unlikely they'll give them an offer. That's the real problem.

Perhaps, but a purely science background is not going to stand you in good stead- you need essay skills, and as part of the admissions process there is an essay writing test (at least at certain colleges, taken alongside your interview). An applicant without a single essay A2 is going to flounder.

Original post by SParm
Well you're clearly in a better position to comment about such matters so if that's the case, then I apologise, I was wrong.

Fair enough, accepted. In fact you get rep for humility, and you'll discover once you get here that TSR and popular perception in general is nothing like representative of Cambridge.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by HermesTrismegistus
Yeah, but don't 30% of the mathmos get a 1st? In philosophy it's always about 15%. Also, it's harder to be really really good at Philosophy. Just look at Descartes, Leibniz, Russell, Turing, etc. Got it right in maths, screwed it up in philosophy (yeah I know, it's a cheap argument).

You're just wrong. However you try and spin it, maths is the hardest subject at Cambridge.

Also, for the academic year 2009-2010 (latest one with results available).

Philosophy Part II
1st 30.2 %
2:1 65.1 %
2:2 4.7 %

Maths Part II
1st 30.9 %
2:1 40.1 %
2:2 18.4 %
3rd 3.9 %
Other (fails/non honours) 6.8 %

6x more people come out having failed to get a 2:1. Definetely the easier subject... Maths Part III is not a valid comparison as you're only allowed to do it with a 1st/very high 2:1 at Part II.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9266
Original post by cooldudeman
well in my maths modules like C1 and C2, i think i have almost 100%, even in my M1 (probably like 96) but in my D1, i only got 83. and D2 i just did and i probably got near 90 if the ecf applies in a friendly way. it was just fp1 which i know is the main fm course. didnt go so well. the reason for that is (i know it sounds cheap) i wanted to focus on all my subjects because AAAB would look worse than AAAA wouldnt it? especially for oxbridge. luckily im going to drop law which was causing all the bad ums in my maths.

so what im trying to say is that i hopefully will be able to handle step if i just focus on that. but hey thats only if i get an interview at least...

also i dont understand why people would find oxbridge maths hard because thats the only thing you have to concentrate on isnt it? there would be no distractions with other useless subjects which means you can keep practicing more and more. well obviously thats coming from someone who barely gets 90s...

So all of your maths modules so far have be 90+? If so then you are probably ok.

I would say however that although i have no experience of it i am pretty sure that even with hard work and concentration you would not get through Cambridge maths if you weren't very very good enough at maths.
Cambridge does like extra-curriculars, but I think they prefer those of the academic variety. If you can show that you used your time outside of what was required of you for A level to do something to do with the subject then that definitely helps.

Usually things like essay competitions are a pretty good way to show your enthusiasm for the subject because they require a tangible amount of work - it's actual evidence that you've looked at the subject in your spare time.
Reply 9268
Applying for Computer Science
GCSES: 9.5 A* , 2.5 A
As Levels: (Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology)
98% in modules so far, expecting similar results for the rest
Extra-Curricular: DofE Gold (Coaching Disabled Children, Gym, Motor Biking)
Further Reading: The new turing omnibus, the pleasures of counting, the code book
Never done any resits.

What are my chances like for getting an interview/offer at Cambridge?
Original post by Nick_
Applying for Computer Science
GCSES: 9.5 A* , 2.5 A
As Levels: (Maths, F.Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Biology)
98% in modules so far, expecting similar results for the rest
Extra-Curricular: DofE Gold (Coaching Disabled Children, Gym, Motor Biking)
Further Reading: The new turing omnibus, the pleasures of counting, the code book
Never done any resits.

What are my chances like for getting an interview/offer at Cambridge?

Getting an interview: highly likely.
Getting an offer: Can't really be sure. High UMS like you've achieved so far (and if you achieve similar in August) will put you in good stead, but by no means acts as a guarantee.
Original post by illusionz
You're just wrong. However you try and spin it, maths is the hardest subject at Cambridge.

Also, for the academic year 2009-2010 (latest one with results available).

Philosophy Part II
1st 30.2 %
2:1 65.1 %
2:2 4.7 %

Maths Part II
1st 30.9 %
2:1 40.1 %
2:2 18.4 %
3rd 3.9 %
Other (fails/non honours) 6.8 %

6x more people come out having failed to get a 2:1. Definetely the easier subject... Maths Part III is not a valid comparison as you're only allowed to do it with a 1st/very high 2:1 at Part II.

Where are you getting that from? The past examiners' reports on Camtools say this:

The external examiner's report says: "There were nine firsts and thirty-two 2:1s. No one was classed by the external examiners at a level below a 2:1." That gives you:

1st 21.95%
2:1 78.05%

1st 28.3%
2.1 63.0%
2.2 4.3%
3 0%
Withdrawn 4.3%

No information for 2009

1st 20%
2.1 60%
2.2 14.5%
3 3.6%
Withdrawn 1.8%

No information for 2007 or 2006

1st 16.67%
2.1 68.52%
2.2 14.81%

1st 20.45%
2.1 65.91%
2.2 13.64%

1st 25.53%
2.1 68.08%
2.1 10.64%

That gives you an average of 22.15%. So, pending the numbers for the three missing years, it is remains quite possible that the average is between 20 and 25% (admittedly, not around 15%). In that case, it would have just been the case that 2010 was a particularly good/easy year. True, it's quite clear it's way easier to get a 2:1 in Philosophy, but I'm talking about in which tripos it is harder to truly excel.

And you're nuts if you think I'm just going to take that 'you're just wrong'. As far as I'm concerned, the claims that Maths is the hardest tripos are just a myth until I see reasonable evidence for such claims. Plus, even if more people got firsts in Philosophy than in Maths that, taken by itself, hardly means anything. It might just be that Cambridge philosophers are simply smarter, more passionate about their subject, etc. and so get better grades. This could be for many reasons, such as stricter entry requirements, people talented for philosophy being in general smarter than talented people for maths, and so on. I'm not saying it is the case. I'm just saying you have a long way to prove Maths is the harder one. (and yes, I also have a long way to prove philosophy is the harder one.)
x

Standard arts subject student taking offence when told their subject is easier than a science. I honestly don't care what you believe. Ask anyone else whether maths or philosophy is the harder subject to excel in at Cambridge and you will be told the answer is maths.

The maths entrants are above and beyond the top minority in the world, let alone the country. You are just wrong, whether or not you choose to accept it. It's harder than my subject. It's harder than yours too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by illusionz
Standard arts subject student taking offence when told their subject is easier than a science. I honestly don't care what you believe. Ask anyone else whether maths or philosophy is the harder subject to excel in at Cambridge and you will be told the answer is maths.

Of course, because nobody knows **** about what people really do in Philosophy. It is beyond dispute that Philosophy is the hardest art subject, probably together with law (you know how many people get a first in law? Around 5%). It requires at least as much abstract reasoning power as Maths. It's just an ignorant preconception that things involving symbols and numbers are automatically harder than something that involves verbal reasoning. Frankly, it's ludicrous that you should think general opinion is reliable in these matters.

But I'll make it easier for you. If you find me a single quote from any great philosopher-mathematician (Leibniz, Descartes, Frege, Turing, Russell, Whitehead, there's tons of them) where they at least slightly imply that Maths is harder than Philosophy I'll admit it is.

The maths entrants are above and beyond the top minority in the world, let alone the country. You are just wrong, whether or not you choose to accept it.

Sure thing. That must be why the mathmos in my college panic as soon as I ask them any basic probability question.
Reply 9273
These things will only be mentioned in your Personal Statement.

For Oxbridge, or any Russel group uni, good advice is that a personal statement should be AT LEAST 4/5ths directly subject related.

That really doesn't leave you much to write about those other things with. And they'll most likely be ignored. (None of these really mark you out as a good doctor either)

You're not trying to fool a job interviewer with your "transferable skills" rubbish that's all the fashion in HR at the moment - Oxbridge are looking specifically for pure academic credentials.

Long and short - reading around subject, work experience, public lectures, masterclasses and summer courses - Desirable. Music, Duke of Edinburgh, Charity work, Sport - not desirable.

Sorry what's HR? I've done various different work experiences (hospital/GP/care home), I'm also registered to MEDWALES and I attend lectures and conferences and work shops at Cardiff Uni.
I'm planning to attend the Cardiff Summer School in July. It doesn't matter that it isn't at Cambridge? I will definitely look into Masterclasses! How many words is a PS roughly?
Thank you so much for your help btw, appreciate it :smile:
Reply 9274

this is literally the first time i've ever seen anyone claim that turing is a philosopher, or that he 'screwed it up' despite not really doing it.

i think you just secretly have an inferiority complex tbh.
Reply 9275
I found this blog quite interesting for anyone thinking they may not be for anyone thinking of doing philosophy at oxbridge.
http://www.visoviso.com/philosophyoxca/
My opinion: Take a Math book of University level, begin to read and imagine to do this all the day. Is it still fun? Do you like the methods which have not more much to do with some school exams, where sometimes no reasoning at all is necessary and As can be more a question of exam technique than understanding? Would you surivive in a course, where you end up with a 2:2 and still would be convinced you love the subject and work hard for it? (Don't underestimate the effect on some AAAA students, when they have to recognize, there are nothing special and no more the best of the class, because you are only under people who want to learn math. => They become so melancholic that they end with grades under their possibilities.)
When you answer that with: YES => Apply for math and you have made the first step not to fail.

(A Levels are a necessity to get university entrance and A*A*A* to have "free choice", but university is somehow a new game with other syllabi and environment. It is also normal that you are prepared but develop at the University another view on your subject choice and change course.)

Good Luck!
Original post by Aysena
Sorry what's HR? I've done various different work experiences (hospital/GP/care home), I'm also registered to MEDWALES and I attend lectures and conferences and work shops at Cardiff Uni.
I'm planning to attend the Cardiff Summer School in July. It doesn't matter that it isn't at Cambridge? I will definitely look into Masterclasses! How many words is a PS roughly?
Thank you so much for your help btw, appreciate it :smile:

HR = Human Resources - the branch of any corporation responsible for hiring and firing workers, generally with jack all understanding of who will actually make a valuable employee to the company or even how to reliably measure who will make a valuable employee. Easy enough to fool them once you know how, just a bit of a chore. (As a medic you'll probably never have to deal with proper HR people)

Stuff at Cardiff is brilliant, and no it doesn't matter that it's not at Cambridge - they don't expect everyone to come to Cambridge to do summer schools, for a start there aren't enough places at the Cambridge ones! For example I went to lectures and workshops at UCL.

Given you already have quite a bit of subject-related activities, you don't necessarily need to do a masterclass. (These are essentially another sort of workshop) And you may struggle to fit too much more on your PS, I had to be surprisingly picky with what I chose to talk about.

PS - word count depends on how you format it - the limit is 4000 character or 47 lines, but which of those you reach first depends on how many paragraphs and how much space you use - if you've written a clear, well presented PS you will hit the line count first.
Also bear in mind that you submit it to UCAS in plaintext, and the line-count can change (often increasing) because they have somewhat narrower margins than usual.
(For me this translated into 580 words, so you have to be concise)
Original post by around
this is literally the first time i've ever seen anyone claim that turing is a philosopher, or that he 'screwed it up' despite not really doing it.

i think you just secretly have an inferiority complex tbh.

Erm... Ever heard about machine state functionalism? Trust me, I know my stuff better than you. Mathmos just think theirs is the hardest subject because they are so ignorant about other triposes and just can't grasp the concept of verbal intelligence.
Reply 9279
Erm... Ever heard about machine state functionalism? Trust me, I know my stuff better than you. Mathmos just think theirs is the hardest subject because they are so ignorant about other triposes and just can't grasp the concept of verbal intelligence.

The first formulation of a functionalist theory of mind was put forth by Hilary Putnam. This formulation, which is now called machine-state functionalism, or just machine functionalism, was inspired by the analogies which Putnam and others noted between the mind and the theoretical "machines" or computers capable of computing any given algorithm which were developed by Alan Turing (called Universal Turing machines).
(from wikipedia)

So Turing came up with the idea for Turing machines, which are purely mathematical/computer science objects. The philosophy was developed by others around that. To call Turing a philosopher is akin to calling Godel a philosopher because he worked on mathematical logic.

Latest

Trending

Trending