The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does the hearing problem mean that you would need to buy extra things for your course compared to a student without a hearing problem? If so, you would be eligible for DSA :smile:

You would also need a formal diagnosis of it, I believe, or a letter from your doctor saying that you have it, as proof.
I'm in the same boat mate, I'm currently in year 12 but I went to my GP recently and requested a hearing test, as I haven't had one since I was eight. But I do have a hearing impairment, I just want it to be in formal writing, so I can apply for DSA smoothly next year.

http://www.rnid.org.uk/howwehelp/hearing_check/take_online_hearing_check/?from=/hearing-check-home-right-bott-panel/

Take this free hearing test. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by kerily
Does the hearing problem mean that you would need to buy extra things for your course compared to a student without a hearing problem? If so, you would be eligible for DSA :smile:

I am not sure if I do yet due to not being on my uni course :lol: as it stands in College I have extra help, note taking and whatnot.
Original post by kerily
You would also need a formal diagnosis of it, I believe, or a letter from your doctor saying that you have it, as proof.

I have been wearing hearing aids since I was 5 so I think I should have this covered :biggrin:

Cheers :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by tehFrance
I am not sure if I do yet due to not being on my uni course :lol: as it stands in College I have extra help, note taking and whatnot.

I would imagine you'd qualify for it then - I think there's a separate part of the allowance for human assistance (not entirely sure on this as I'm not applying for that part). You also might need something like speech-to-text software, so that you could record lectures and then convert them to written notes so you could actually read them. I know they say you're only meant to claim for stuff you need due to your disability, but anecdotally I've heard that this is pretty lax - one of my dad's students honestly got a top-of-the-range Macbook loaded with ProTools because he's on a music course, so he needed copies of the music software so he could practice in his spare time, and he needed a computer to run these too...

I have been wearing hearing aids since I was 5 so I think I should have this covered :biggrin:

Ah yes, definitely! :smile: Getting a diagnosis is more of an issue for 'unseen' disabilities. But if you were just very hard of hearing and didn't actually have a hearing aid for some reason, I guess this would have been more of a problem. Good luck with it, anyway :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by kerily
I would imagine you'd qualify for it then - I think there's a separate part of the allowance for human assistance (not entirely sure on this as I'm not applying for that part). You also might need something like speech-to-text software, so that you could record lectures and then convert them to written notes so you could actually read them. I know they say you're only meant to claim for stuff you need due to your disability, but anecdotally I've heard that this is pretty lax - one of my dad's students honestly got a top-of-the-range Macbook loaded with ProTools because he's on a music course, so he needed copies of the music software so he could practice in his spare time, and he needed a computer to run these too...

Cool :smile: like I said I don't know if I'd even use it but it would be nice to have ust incase :smile:
Original post by kerily
Ah yes, definitely! :smile: Getting a diagnosis is more of an issue for 'unseen' disabilities. But if you were just very hard of hearing and didn't actually have a hearing aid for some reason, I guess this would have been more of a problem. Good luck with it, anyway :smile:

Yhup I am hard of hearing/deaf and wearing hearing aids so from what you said should be easier :smile: I prefer to call it a hearing problem as it doesn't sound so bad :lol:
I'm pretty sure you would qualify, as my friend needs a hearing aid and has DSA.
Reply 7
Cool :smile:

I'll apply later on today when I do the student finance application, you just tick a box right? and they send you the forms?
Reply 8
Cool :smile:

I'll apply later on today when I do the student finance application, you just tick a box right? and they send you the forms?

Yep, that's it! Though I'm a bit unsure at the mo, might be that you have to download it from the site (mine's on my 'Evidence' page)
Reply 9
I have autism and an hearing impairment and it's just a general nightmare applying for DSA. You need proof of diagnosis from about 8 years ago and other stuff, it's just a joke.
If I'm partially deaf in one ear but haven't had a formal diagnosis, would I be able to apply for it, or would I need to get a diagnosis first?
Reply 11
Original post by angelbones

Original post by angelbones
If I'm partially deaf in one ear but haven't had a formal diagnosis, would I be able to apply for it, or would I need to get a diagnosis first?

You don't need a diagnosis as such - you just need your GP to be aware and agree there is a problem. So as long as you have it on your medical records then you will be able to get some help if you need it.
Reply 12
Original post by aaron1867
I have autism and an hearing impairment and it's just a general nightmare applying for DSA. You need proof of diagnosis from about 8 years ago and other stuff, it's just a joke.

Surely if you have had autism for 8 years (which I think you would of, as you have it from birth no?), it is just a case of getting the records from GP/NHS? at least that is what I will do when it comes to proving my hearing loss :smile:
Why Haven't you got a statement of special educational needs?
Reply 14
Hey guys,

I am wondering if I'd be eligible for DSA as I have a hearing problem, looked all over the DSA site and I can't see whether I qualify or not. One of the universities I applied for (although rejected them) thought so but none of the others have sent anything regarding it so I am unsure and as I said the site was no help :frown:

So do I qualify?

How serious is the hearing problem? You would have to have a thorough assessment, which will take time.
Reply 15
Original post by hypocriticaljap
Why Haven't you got a statement of special educational needs?

Was that directed at me? :s-smilie:

Well in my school/college file there is information about my hearing and that I have someone in class to help if that is what you meant? :smile:
no, it was asked of Aaron1867, but I would have expected a school to have a child who was deaf statemented. Indeed if you received support there must have been some sort of assessment to get the funding necessary for the support.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 17
Cool :smile: like I said I don't know if I'd even use it but it would be nice to have ust incase :smile:

Yhup I am hard of hearing/deaf and wearing hearing aids so from what you said should be easier :smile: I prefer to call it a hearing problem as it doesn't sound so bad :lol:

Sorry, I should have read the rest of the thread. Ignore my question about how serious it was. Yes, I think you should be eligible. I had a friend who had the same problem and he got the full deal- a green card for specialized computers, a helper, a laptop (I think), and extra examination time.
As I say though, it may take some time for you to get it. Especially given how incompetent SFE are.
Reply 18
Original post by Komakino
How serious is the hearing problem? You would have to have a thorough assessment, which will take time.

Two hearing aids, hearing will never go back to full capicity, I have had it since I was 5 odd. I see the hearing dept at hospital every 6 months for a check up and 12 months for a thorough check up to see if my hearing has changed/need new hearing aids etc etc.

Is that good enough?

Edit: saw above, cheers for the reply. I'll soon find out how long it takes :frown:
Original post by hypocriticaljap
no, it was asked of Aaron1867, but I would have expected a school to have a child who was deaf statemented. Indeed if you received support there must have been some sort of assessment to get the funding necessary for the support.

Oh right, should of quoted him :tongue:
(edited 13 years ago)
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/DisabledPeople/EducationAndTraining/HigherEducation/DG_10034898

You would qualify for DSA if you have any health or medical condition that affects your ability to study on a day to day basis. So this could be dyslexia, autism, sight problems, hearing, mental health difficulties etc.

The process does take a while but you should download a short DSA1 form from the above website and send it off with evidence of your condition to student finance England (or whoever you are applying to for your funding).

SFE will send you for an assessment of your needs - so they will look at your condition or health issue and what course you are on and this assessment will come up with a package of support you can have.

Every uni have disability teams that can help you with this process. If you dont go to uni it will all be cancelled so dont worry.

Latest

Trending

Trending