The Student Room Group

Can you recommend good places to take an Access course?

Hey :smile: !

Any recommendations for a good school for doing access courses? A place with a good rep even so uni's won't think lower of it when applying (they prob won't but a place with a good rep.)

Im aware i need to get good grades.

Im planning on studying Journalism. I found one in Kensington and Chelsea College in London, but a few more recommendations would be great.

thanks. .-.
If you want somewhere cheaper to live than London (but still only 35 mins away from Waterloo on the express train), then I can highly recommend FCOT - Farnborough College of Technology. People from Access @ FCOT have had offers from Oxford, King's, UCL, Exeter, Royal Agricultural College, Reading, Surrey, Southampton, Cardiff, RHUL & Bristol (the list is a lot longer than that, but those are just a selection from my friends) - so it can certainly take you places! They also offer the following specific pathways:

Education Pathway
Health & Social Studies Pathway
Humanities Pathway
Physical & Natural Sciences Pathway
Social Sciences Pathway
Business Pathway

Modules wise, FCOT has a decent variety, namely:

History
Psychology
Philosophy
Sociology
Chemistry
Biology
Environmental Studies
English
European Studies
Law

The standard setup is 4 modules, all at level 3, with 15 credits on each one. Study Skills is an additional 3 credits (cant remember which level though!) As to the tutors, they are (with one exception) absolutely superb.
Westminster Kingsway College in Gray's Inn Road off Kings Cross is really good in getting mature students into higher education, another is City & Islington College which is in Angel or you could try Lambeth College in Clapham College. I personally sought out all three and have attended Open Days and spoken to course advisor claiming their students have got into pretty much the same Universities as the person above has stated.
Reply 3
Original post by TheDanishAlmond
Hey :smile: !

Any recommendations for a good school for doing access courses? A place with a good rep even so uni's won't think lower of it when applying (they prob won't but a place with a good rep.)

Im aware i need to get good grades.

Im planning on studying Journalism. I found one in Kensington and Chelsea College in London, but a few more recommendations would be great.

thanks. .-.

Kensington and Chelsea is excellent. They also have people get into LSE, UCL, Cambridge, etc. They have partnerships with some London universities so that they guarantee at least an interview.

Also, some excellent teachers. I would recommend it.
^^ Cheers.

Im hoping the access course can get me into other uni's then the ones they have partnerships with? Like Sheffield, Bristol, Lancashire or whatever i set my eye on? How does that work?
Just check with the journalism course you want to get into which access courses they recognise. For medicine (which I'm using as an example - I know you want to do journalism!), certain medical schools only recognise certain courses so it is worth checking that the access course is okay for your preferred final destination.
And how do i do that?
Original post by TheDanishAlmond
And how do i do that?

Just look on UCAS search for journalism courses and e-mail the course providers to ask what access courses they accept for entry.
cheers
Reply 9
Original post by Heinz the German
If you want somewhere cheaper to live than London (but still only 35 mins away from Waterloo on the express train), then I can highly recommend FCOT - Farnborough College of Technology. People from Access @ FCOT have had offers from Oxford, King's, UCL, Exeter, Royal Agricultural College, Reading, Surrey, Southampton, Cardiff, RHUL & Bristol (the list is a lot longer than that, but those are just a selection from my friends) - so it can certainly take you places! They also offer the following specific pathways:

Education Pathway
Health & Social Studies Pathway
Humanities Pathway
Physical & Natural Sciences Pathway
Social Sciences Pathway
Business Pathway

Modules wise, FCOT has a decent variety, namely:

History
Psychology
Philosophy
Sociology
Chemistry
Biology
Environmental Studies
English
European Studies
Law

The standard setup is 4 modules, all at level 3, with 15 credits on each one. Study Skills is an additional 3 credits (cant remember which level though!) As to the tutors, they are (with one exception) absolutely superb.

ahh, so you're the guy from my chemistry class (won't disclose your name in case you want to keep it secret). glad to see you're posting here too mate. congratulations on your offer from ucl!
Yup, thats me - one of those that has to suffer every Wednesday morning in Chem, and given your username, i've just worked out who you are :lol:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Heinz the German
Yup, thats me - one of those that has to suffer every Wednesday morning in Chem, and given your username, i've just worked out who you are :lol:

hahaha, small world eh?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending