The Student Room Group

Oxford Modern Languages Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by digestives
Don't worry, i'm sure everyone is saying this :colondollar:

I highly doubt anyone got 100% of the things correct...

What does everyone think the pass mark for this grammar test was?

Well they do say that it's primarily a test of grammar knowledge rather than vocabulary so who knows if it matters.

Didn't think there was a particular 'pass mark' but if there is I missed it :P
Don't worry, i'm sure everyone is saying this :colondollar:

I highly doubt anyone got 100% of the things correct...

What does everyone think the pass mark for this grammar test was?

I don't think there is a pass mark... your mark is probably taken into account along with all the other things. They run remedial grammar classes, which seems to suggest that you don't need a very good score to get in, as long as all other factors are strong. :smile:

The highest mark for French last year was awarded to my friend at Exeter College who got 98% (Beat me by one measly mark!)

Original post by KatieKate
The only question I was sure of out of both French and Spanish was the "Quoi que tu..." and I was all like FASSE FASSE FASSE YEAH

so that's 0.25% already woohoo

If it was 'tu' it would be 'Quoi que tu fasses' with an s
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
I don't think there is a pass mark... your mark is probably taken into account along with all the other things. They run remedial grammar classes, which seems to suggest that you don't need a very good score to get in, as long as all other factors are strong. :smile:

The highest mark for French last year was awarded to my friend at Exeter College who got 98% (Beat me by one measly mark!)

Wow, 97%?! That's very impressive. How did you find out your result?
Wow, 97%?! That's very impressive. How did you find out your result?

Actually 96% (It was marked out of 50)

To be honest I got lucky with the questions.

My tutor told me when I brought it up.

The thing is, we're doing similar short translations alongside prose translations this term and a lot of people are still making a lot of errors (and we have a few days, not half an hour) so I wouldn't be too worried, I think as long as you impress at interview they will conveniently forget you grammar score if it's a little suspect. (Not that it will be!)
(edited 12 years ago)
Actually 96% (It was marked out of 50)

To be honest I got lucky with the questions.

My tutor told me when I brought it up.

The thing is, we're doing similar short translations alongside prose translations this term and a lot of people are still making a lot of errors (and we have a few days, not half an hour) so I wouldn't be too worried, I think as long as you impress at interview they will conveniently forget you grammar score if it's a little suspect. (Not that it will be!)

No, I think I did quite well in the MLLAT; nowhere near 96% obviously, but that's quite rare I would imagine (or hope :colondollar:)

What should a modern languages candidate focus on in preparation for the interview would you say?
No, I think I did quite well in the MLLAT; nowhere near 96% obviously, but that's quite rare I would imagine (or hope :colondollar:)

What should a modern languages candidate focus on in preparation for the interview would you say?

They definitely want to see you can analyse literature. All your tutes will revolve around analysing literature. Make sure you read widely (in any language) so that you will be prepared to draw links etc.

Have a look at a few poems in the languages you are applying for and try to analyse them, just so you get used to it.

(Don't neglect structure - a big part of the course is commentary writing where you analyse an extract in minute detail and have to comment on both themes and how structure/tiny little devices convey them, so it would be good to demonstrate an aptitude for this at interview)

Also, it is a good idea to keep up to date with current affairs (in general) as it might come up in the oral part of the interview as generally, the oral is not too tricky (I got asked why I thought immersion was important for language learning)

Oh and of course, know your personal statement really well. If you've mentioned anything they might pick up on - have a good think about possible avenues of exploration that they might bring up.

Balls.
Reply 187
Is/has anyone been on an Interview Preparation Day with the 'Oxbridge Applications' company? Wondering whether it's worth the (extortionate) amount of money...
I'd be really grateful if anyone can comment from experience :smile: Thanks!
Original post by Bella_18
Is/has anyone been on an Interview Preparation Day with the 'Oxbridge Applications' company? Wondering whether it's worth the (extortionate) amount of money...

I did with 'Oxfizz'/'Oxbridge applications' :smile: Although I didn't have to pay, my college organised it.
it was so worth it :yep:
Reply 189
Original post by Banoffeepie16
I did with 'Oxfizz'/'Oxbridge applications' :smile: Although I didn't have to pay, my college organised it.
it was so worth it :yep:

That's good news! There's loads of mixed reviews about. Was yours specifically about languages?
That's good news! There's loads of mixed reviews about. Was yours specifically about languages?

The sessions beforehand were for all subjects, but my mock interview there was for languages yes. They taped it and I have it on DVD so that I could see myself and improve *cringe*.

All the staff are ex-Oxbridge students :smile:
Reply 191
The sessions beforehand were for all subjects, but my mock interview there was for languages yes. They taped it and I have it on DVD so that I could see myself and improve *cringe*.

Cool :smile:

Hahaha niiiice.... guess it would be useful though!
Cool :smile:

Hahaha niiiice.... guess it would be useful though!

REALLY useful :biggrin:
Reply 193
Can't remember much from the MLLAT (I did Spanish and German) but I tend to forget everything in an exam as soon as I close the paper :P I do remember that I had no idea of how to say 'give up' and so used 'dar arriba'....yeahhh that's not right xD

haha! I'd be mortified seeing myself on DVD.. it'd be even worse listening back to myself speaking spanish on the computers 0_o but yeah, definitely sounds useful

Don't pay that amount of money for it. Seriously. Cambridge admissions office (and no doubt Oxford as well) hate them because what you pay for is essentially common sense. You do not need an interview preparation day to do well in the interview. On a personal level, I had one mock interview with my school, who rarely get people into Oxbridge, during which I cried. On my actual interview day I did fine, had a pretty enjoyable time and got into one of the most competitive Cambridge colleges for my course.

Of course, if it makes you feel better and you have the money then do it, but you should not do it because you think it's going to drastically improve your performance or give you some magic way of getting in. All you need to do to prepare for an interview can be found on the Oxford website. You don't need coaching or training, you just need to be passionate about your subject and to have an open mind :smile:
Original post by Faffyfoo
Can't remember much from the MLLAT (I did Spanish and German) but I tend to forget everything in an exam as soon as I close the paper :P I do remember that I had no idea of how to say 'give up' and so used 'dar arriba'....yeahhh that's not right xD

When was the 'to give up' tested :eek:
They definitely want to see you can analyse literature. All your tutes will revolve around analysing literature. Make sure you read widely (in any language) so that you will be prepared to draw links etc.

Have a look at a few poems in the languages you are applying for and try to analyse them, just so you get used to it.

(Don't neglect structure - a big part of the course is commentary writing where you analyse an extract in minute detail and have to comment on both themes and how structure/tiny little devices convey them, so it would be good to demonstrate an aptitude for this at interview)

Also, it is a good idea to keep up to date with current affairs (in general) as it might come up in the oral part of the interview as generally, the oral is not too tricky (I got asked why I thought immersion was important for language learning)

Oh and of course, know your personal statement really well. If you've mentioned anything they might pick up on - have a good think about possible avenues of exploration that they might bring up.

Oh thanks :smile:

If I have realised that I don't like my personal statement books THAT much, do you think I would have a chance to link my PS books with other books I have read that I found more interesting and talk more about those books?
Reply 198
Original post by Zoedotdot
Don't pay that amount of money for it. Seriously. Cambridge admissions office (and no doubt Oxford as well) hate them because what you pay for is essentially common sense. You do not need an interview preparation day to do well in the interview. On a personal level, I had one mock interview with my school, who rarely get people into Oxbridge, during which I cried. On my actual interview day I did fine, had a pretty enjoyable time and got into one of the most competitive Cambridge colleges for my course.

Of course, if it makes you feel better and you have the money then do it, but you should not do it because you think it's going to drastically improve your performance or give you some magic way of getting in. All you need to do to prepare for an interview can be found on the Oxford website. You don't need coaching or training, you just need to be passionate about your subject and to have an open mind :smile:

Thanks for replying :smile: I think I'm going to just try and find some teachers to do interview practice with me; even though like you, my school generally doesn't send people to Oxford. Definitely don't have that kind of money hanging about, but if it was genuinely worth it I would try and work something out:smile:
I think I'll spend the time reading instead :biggrin:
Reply 199
When was the 'to give up' tested :eek:

In the translation part of Spanish...it said something about giving up smoking? Hmm maybe they have different papers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending