The Student Room Group

Oxford Modern Languages Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tech10
Worcester! Aha sorry didn't mean to be so abrupt before about your college I was just hoping you weren't applying to the same college as me because I'm applying for exactly the sane course as you :P which A levels do you study then? Also how are you revising for the ridiculous Dobla test?!? Absolutely dreading it!!!

Omg I just saw this :0
I didn't think anyone had replied to me! It is so much harder to tell on the app :'(

But omg someone who is applying to the same course! I haven't found anyone else yet xD
My teacher told me about this website uklo.org... Ive been following the link from that to the international one and doing a couple of the questions. It is a lot more linguisticsy than the questions that we hve to do but some of it is really useful, like the first question on the first ever past paper about transcendental algebra! I just skip the questions if they arent Gunna help at all (some actually do need maths, unlike the one i just mentioned called algebra loool)
What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 581
Aha that's fine dw! Um not much really, I'm gonna do the past paper today and someone gave me that website which you just gave me... but haven't really done much for it! I don't think you can, seeing as it's a made up language!! :/ Only 2 weeks until the test :/

Original post by beau-malheur
Omg I just saw this :0
I didn't think anyone had replied to me! It is so much harder to tell on the app :'(

But omg someone who is applying to the same course! I haven't found anyone else yet xD
My teacher told me about this website uklo.org... Ive been following the link from that to the international one and doing a couple of the questions. It is a lot more linguisticsy than the questions that we hve to do but some of it is really useful, like the first question on the first ever past paper about transcendental algebra! I just skip the questions if they arent Gunna help at all (some actually do need maths, unlike the one i just mentioned called algebra loool)
What about you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tech10
Aha that's fine dw! Um not much really, I'm gonna do the past paper today and someone gave me that website which you just gave me... but haven't really done much for it! I don't think you can, seeing as it's a made up language!! :/ Only 2 weeks until the test :/

Ugh im dreading itttttt

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 583
Original post by such_a_lady
Ser, estar, preterite vs imperfect, subjunctive triggers, personal a, little things like construction of negatives, ni siquiera, etc. They won't ask anything not in the A Levek syllabus. Ask your teachers to create practice tests for you.

thank you!!
Reply 584
I'm applying for Spanish and linguistics but I think the languages department at Southampton is better!
Obviously Oxford has a fantastic reputation and I would love to go, but it's not as good with languages compared to science or history etc.
I felt that Southampton was more realistic, anybody else noticed this?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Guys, im applying to medicine but I need your help please. Im doing literature as and a level and i was wondering what can i read to analyze it deeply ?? Anyone read passage to india ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 586
Original post by Marcoball
I'm applying for Spanish and linguistics but I think the languages department at Southampton is better!
Obviously Oxford has a fantastic reputation and I would love to go, but it's not as good with languages compared to science or history etc.
I felt that Southampton was more realistic, anybody else noticed this?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No.... Oxford is rated as best for MFL above Cambridge, Durham and other top UK universities. I've seen Cambridge above Oxford sometimes as well for languages but they're always the top two.
Hey

Just wondering if anyone here has gotten an invitation for interviews at Oxford for Modern Languages?

Myself applied to St.John's for languages
I've applied for French and Beginner's Italian at Exter College. Really hope I'm lucky enough to get an interview!
I've received my interview for French and Spanish at St. Catherine's. Anyone else got anything? :biggrin:
Hi there,

I recently got an interview at Oxford for Spanish and Portuguese and if anyone has any experience with what they ask in language interviews it would be the greatest help!

Firstly, what sort of questions do they ask?
How much do they ask you about the stuff you've put in your personal statement?
What kind of poems will they give you and from what sort of poets?
How long do you have to talk in the target language?

Sorry, lots of questions but I am freaking out about this interview!

Thanks!
Hello! I have an interview at Oriel for French and German in two weeks time, starting to get nervous now!
Hello, I have an interview for Spanish and Linguistics. The excitement has worn off now - I just feel nervous... D:
Original post by megedwards
Hello! I have an interview at Oriel for French and German in two weeks time, starting to get nervous now!

OMG! Fellow Oriel applicant here! I'm doing French and Italian though...but I'll see ya there!
Original post by BeautifulPotato
OMG! Fellow Oriel applicant here! I'm doing French and Italian though...but I'll see ya there!

Moi aussi e anchio!
I'm an international applicant so I'm flying in on the 11th for the interview on Thursday 12th! Italian and Linguistics!
Ci vedremo ad Oriel, allora!
What a pair; A Beautiful Potato and an Ultimate Panda!

Original post by megedwards

And you too Meg! :biggrin:

Original post by lacasablanca
Hello, I have an interview for Spanish and Linguistics. The excitement has worn off now - I just feel nervous... D:

Oh, well done, what college? I'm so nervous too! How are you planning to get ready for it?! I feel unprepared! Is it Spanish abinito? Mine is Italian post alevel and Linguistics! I thought the MLAT was hard, so I'm mentally preparing myself!

But at the end of the day, they're just humans, intellectual and ostensibly frightening, but they still go to the bathroom and cut their toenails like the rest of us!

See you there! :smile:
Original post by BeautifulPotato

Yay! :biggrin: I'm heading up on Wednesday though so that I'm ready for the next day. What about you? :biggrin:
Original post by UltimatePanda
Moi aussi e anchio!
I'm an international applicant so I'm flying in on the 11th for the interview on Thursday 12th! Italian and Linguistics!
Ci vedremo ad Oriel, allora!
What a pair; A Beautiful Potato and an Ultimate Panda!

And you too Meg! :biggrin:

Oh, well done, what college? I'm so nervous too! How are you planning to get ready for it?! I feel unprepared! Is it Spanish abinito? Mine is Italian post alevel and Linguistics! I thought the MLAT was hard, so I'm mentally preparing myself!

But at the end of the day, they're just humans, intellectual and ostensibly frightening, but they still go to the bathroom and cut their toenails like the rest of us!

See you there! :smile:

Jesus College. No, Spanish Post A Level and Linguistics for me. :smile: I think I'll just read over my personal statement and perhaps read others' reviews of books I have mentioned. Honestly, I don't think we could ever be completely prepared - they are experts in their fields after all...I found the MLAT difficult too, so goodness knows what the interview will be like.

See you there too, and good luck :biggrin:
Reply 597
Hi,

So I've got an interview at St Edmund Hall - has anyone else got one there? Would be awesome to feel less lonely/ to freak out with someone else :biggrin:
I've got an interview for French and German at St John's next week :smile:
I'm in a cycle of:
feel excited
remember how important it is
worry
worry that I'm not worrying enough because it's so important
try to calm self down by thinking about being in Oxford
feel excited again...

Anyone interested in a linguists meet-up?
Original post by tuttiflutey
I've got an interview for French and German at St John's next week :smile:
I'm in a cycle of:
feel excited
remember how important it is
worry
worry that I'm not worrying enough because it's so important
try to calm self down by thinking about being in Oxford
feel excited again...

Anyone interested in a linguists meet-up?

I'm doing that course too! And feel exactly the same as you xD Sounds like a good idea :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending