The Student Room Group

Woodhouse College Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by DylanLJG
Wow, your results almost make mine look average. :biggrin:

1. Woodhouse does not allow anyone to do January exams internally so any January retakes would have to be done at another centre.

2. They should allow you to take the AQA module exams (you would have to tell them) though you would be learning the OCR MEI syllabus in lessons.

3. Yes there are alot of crazy maths people at Woodhouse. I think the olympiad team got knocked out in round two though I'm not completely sure.

Are you actually doing A2 Maths and AS Further Maths next year as your subjects? Sorry if I misunderstood anything.

thanks man. my situation is kinda confusing, next year i'll be doing A2 (C4 and mechanics 2 most likely) and for further maths i'll do 5 more modules since i've done FP1 in january (not sure which ones though).
I'm also doing Physics and chemistry like a lot of other people. Are we allowed to do 5 AS +A2 subjects? When you apply, you can only pick 4 - can you pick 1 more when you start? Since I will be doing AQA for a level math, can I just get my own stuff and work by myself somewhere? I don't want to be learning OCR MEI as well :tongue:

PS: is Peter V___ R____ a good teacher?
Original post by Sokka
thanks man. my situation is kinda confusing, next year i'll be doing A2 (C4 and mechanics 2 most likely) and for further maths i'll do 5 more modules since i've done FP1 in january (not sure which ones though).
I'm also doing Physics and chemistry like a lot of other people. Are we allowed to do 5 AS +A2 subjects? When you apply, you can only pick 4 - can you pick 1 more when you start? Since I will be doing AQA for a level math, can I just get my own stuff and work by myself somewhere? I don't want to be learning OCR MEI as well :tongue:

PS: is Peter V___ R____ a good teacher?

Of course you're allowed to do five subjects. If you didn't apply to do five then if there's space you can pick it up in late September (you'd have to catch up though).

If you are certain about doing AQA then I'd say drop the subject and just ask them to enter you for the exams. You'll then have another free block to work yourself.

Aaaah, Mr. Van Reeth. I don't have him personally, but many of my friends do. He is very strict and gives out alot of homework, but he always gets good results. He used to be a university lecturer. There are about eight maths teachers though so it could be any of them.
Reply 182
Original post by Sokka
thanks :smile: you know for maths, what do you think will happen? I did C1 in january, got 97/100 (im in year 11, sorry to confuse) and then retook it in may to get 100 UMS. I also did C2, M1 AND C3 yesterday meaning I only have 2 more exams for A2 maths when I go to woodhouse next year in year 12. They went pretty well so I don't want to mess up or anything - can I carry on with AQA at woodhouse? I heard the board is OCR MEI or something, how will it work out, do I have to ask the math department or will they enter me for aqa automatically?
Also, if I get say 50/100 in M1 (I know I got like 100, but im just saying) then can I retake it in january at woodhouse? This concerns me because I want chances to retake if I have to, but my conditional offer states "A2 maths with mechanics" so can't I retake any AS modules? I hate talking about myself because it makes me sound cocky but I had to do it to explain..

Thanks ;]

EDIT: I also took FP1 but with edexcel in january and got 96, what will happen about that? Carry on with edexcel or start from scratch with MEI? It sounds likely they'll make me start with MEI because I only did 1 module D:

1 more question (sorry if you aren't into maths): Is there like a math community at woodhouse? As in are there enthusiastic people about maths? Also, I saw on the woodhouse website that 4 people got enough points on the senior maths challenge to get to British math olympiad round 1 - did they progress any further? (i.e. round 2.. trinity camp...)

..crap why do my answers always end up so long? anyways thanks again!

Oh god, your maths modules are a mess :s-smilie: you would need to do another applied module and C4 in Jan 2012 on AQA and then you can get the exams officer to late import your full Maths A-level to OCR MEI in February. In September 2011 you would need to ask the maths dept if you can sit in on further maths AS lessons. And then when you're in upper sixth you'd probably have to ask to sit in on FP2 and/or FP3 and 1/2 applied module lessons since Woodhouse doesn't have a single lesson that runs with that spec. You'd probably do FP2 then switch to a FP3 class then switch to an applied module class or something like that. It's possible.

I think your Edexcel FP1 won't count for anything though, you can't import it without doing 2 more modules and I don't know what the rules are on imports from multiple boards for the same subject.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 183
Original post by Sokka
thanks :smile: you know for maths, what do you think will happen? I did C1 in january, got 97/100 (im in year 11, sorry to confuse) and then retook it in may to get 100 UMS. I also did C2, M1 AND C3 yesterday meaning I only have 2 more exams for A2 maths when I go to woodhouse next year in year 12. They went pretty well so I don't want to mess up or anything - can I carry on with AQA at woodhouse? I heard the board is OCR MEI or something, how will it work out, do I have to ask the math department or will they enter me for aqa automatically?
Also, if I get say 50/100 in M1 (I know I got like 100, but im just saying) then can I retake it in january at woodhouse? This concerns me because I want chances to retake if I have to, but my conditional offer states "A2 maths with mechanics" so can't I retake any AS modules? I hate talking about myself because it makes me sound cocky but I had to do it to explain..

Thanks ;]

EDIT: I also took FP1 but with edexcel in january and got 96, what will happen about that? Carry on with edexcel or start from scratch with MEI? It sounds likely they'll make me start with MEI because I only did 1 module D:

1 more question (sorry if you aren't into maths): Is there like a math community at woodhouse? As in are there enthusiastic people about maths? Also, I saw on the woodhouse website that 4 people got enough points on the senior maths challenge to get to British math olympiad round 1 - did they progress any further? (i.e. round 2.. trinity camp...)

..crap why do my answers always end up so long? anyways thanks again!

You won't be able to take AQA Maths at Woodhouse, contrary to what the other guy said. I know quite a few people who took modules from other exam boards and had to do them again. My advice is call up and ask to speak to the Head of Maths, Mr. Martin. If you discuss your situation I think you'll probably be able to sit in the normal Maths lessons (as the syllabuses are quite similar) and then learn the specifics of the AQA at the same time.

Also, there are no January exams at Woodhouse, so you'll have to do them at another centre.

And well, half the student body do Maths, and some people are ridiculously good. On top of the Olympiad team (not sure how they did) there's a code-breaking group as well.

Original post by rae_
Hi,
I wondering whether you can do Maths with Mechanics and Statistics rather than just one if your not doing further. Also what is Maths coursework like?

What does this mean? Does this mean even though I have conditional and I meet the grade criteria, I still have chance for not getting in?

I wouldn't think so as you'd not really have the time. It wouldn't affect the two thirds of the year anyway as you do the applied modules at the end, but like I said, the best thing to do is not wait until you get to Woodhouse, call up and ask for the Head of Maths, Mr. Martin. It may be possible if you give up your frees or maybe if you offer to study outside of college?
Reply 184
Original post by KwamiOdoom
You won't be able to take AQA Maths at Woodhouse, contrary to what the other guy said.

You will as a private candidate but yeah, it'll have to be somewhere else for January.
Reply 185
Original post by tooosh
You will as a private candidate but yeah, it'll have to be somewhere else for January.

Not on the AQA syllabus, if you take at Woodhouse you need to be doing MEI.
Reply 186
Not on the AQA syllabus, if you take at Woodhouse you need to be doing MEI.

Lessons will be done to MEI but you can sit whatever exam you want on whatever board as a private candidate as long as you pay the fees.
Reply 187

I wouldn't think so as you'd not really have the time. It wouldn't affect the two thirds of the year anyway as you do the applied modules at the end, but like I said, the best thing to do is not wait until you get to Woodhouse, call up and ask for the Head of Maths, Mr. Martin. It may be possible if you give up your frees or maybe if you offer to study outside of college?

Can I not just do S1 and M1 the following year? Or are they connected i.e S1 corresponds with S2...
Reply 188
Original post by tooosh
The teachers will probably let you sit in on lessons but you'll need a good reason if you're not doing further. M1 and S1 classes get filled quickly when module rotation comes round (ie when people on C2 move onto M1 or S1) so you'll need a legit reason.Maths cw is ok, just takes a bit of time. Don't neglect it like most people do cos it's an easy 20UMS in C3 if you get it right, and something like that is invaluable if you want A* in maths or get an A*AA+ offer.

If you have a conditional and meet your conditional on results day then you are in. End of.

Original post by rae_
Can I not just do S1 and M1 the following year? Or are they connected i.e S1 corresponds with S2...

Yeah, you can
Reply 190
Yeah, you can

Without doing Further?
Original post by rae_
Without doing Further?

First Year: C1, C2, M1/S1
Second Year: C3, C4, M2/S2 or S1/M1

You can choose from any of the four applied modules in your second year.
Reply 192
First Year: C1, C2, M1/S1
Second Year: C3, C4, M2/S2 or S1/M1

You can choose from any of the four applied modules in your second year.

Thanks.

I'll rep you when I can.
you guys are really confusing
Reply 194
Hey
I got into Woodhouse I while ago. I chose Physics, Maths (mech) ICT and French but I want to swap ICT for Chemistry.

Does anyone know if changing subjects is easy?
I sent a letter, but I wasn't sure it that was enough:confused:
Reply 195
Original post by ocean
Hey
I got into Woodhouse I while ago. I chose Physics, Maths (mech) ICT and French but I want to swap ICT for Chemistry.

I'm also a succeful applicant who also happens to have changed my options about 3 times via emailing the administration office so I'm pretty sure you will be able to do so. If not you can probably change your options on enrollment day...
Reply 196
Original post by ocean
Hey

You can also change your mind during your first few weeks, teachers will ask you every week if you want to change, because after a few weeks its nearly impossible to change then.
Reply 197
Man i love this :smile:

blue_shift86
Banned

what is the world comming to loool
Hello Everyone,
This question will be directed specifically to students who have attended woodhouse or who are attending it currently. I really want to get a headstart in Maths, further maths, chemistry and physics, so I just want to find out what modulars you have to do in Woodhouse for each subject if you may. Also, what is the difference between OCR and OCR MEI in terms of maths and further maths, and which one is Woodhouse doing??
Original post by Sufian_TRP
Hello Everyone,
This question will be directed specifically to students who have attended woodhouse or who are attending it currently. I really want to get a headstart in Maths, further maths, chemistry and physics, so I just want to find out what modulars you have to do in Woodhouse for each subject if you may. Also, what is the difference between OCR and OCR MEI in terms of maths and further maths, and which one is Woodhouse doing??

We do OCR MEI because it's harder. Just means we do more advanced stuff earlier. The modules for Maths and Further Maths will be C1, C2, M1, FP1, D1 and S1 in your first year. Don't know about the other two subjects, but I know that they are AQA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending