The Student Room Group

Woodhouse College Q&A Thread

Scroll to see replies

HELP ME PLEASE - URGENT ! @@@ :cry2:

If I don't get in by tomorrow waiting list deadline, then if I were to take a GAP year could I reapply the following year?

If I do take a gap year, how exactly could I enter myself for GCSE Retakes. I know I would be too old to ask my previous
secondary school to re-enter my for GCSE retakes so would I have to go to any sixth-form college and ask if they
could enter me as a private candidate?

E.G if I don't get into wood-house college & take a gap year, could I go to wood-house sixth-form college and ask them
to enter me for GCSE Retakes (English literature + philosophy and ethics) but since I'm not a student at wood-house,
would they enter me as a private candidate? I want to resit these 2 gcse's in November ASAP. How much would a retake
GCSE Cost me?

Does this sound like a decent gap year plan.

SEP-NOV = Revise Philosophy & Ethics and English literature GCSE Retakes.
NOV-DEC = Sit driving theory test exam first time ( Just got my provisional license ) x.D
JAN-MAY = Revise C1 Maths, C2 Maths & ask if i could sit these exams in May as a private candidate?
MAY-AUG = Summer holidays x.D
AUGUST = Reapply to wood-house?

my gpa is 5.9 but by November I would be 6.4-6.6 after the retakes which I believe is good enough for a conditional
offer. on top of that I would sit literally 80% of AS Level maths in that gap year(c1/c2) and only have m1 to do for a AS Qualification.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1101
Those who are currently at Woodhouse, what did you get for you GCSEs? I'm an average B grade student but I am also acheiving A's and A*s in certain subjects. What are my chances considering what other Woodhouse students got?
Original post by Soumaiya
Those who are currently at Woodhouse, what did you get for you GCSEs? I'm an average B grade student but I am also acheiving A's and A*s in certain subjects. What are my chances considering what other Woodhouse students got?

Well i'm an ex-student..............its a combination of mainly grades, but as so many people apply with a 6.0 gpa meaning a average of B grades and higher and meeting specific grade requirements for certain courses, you have to stand out.
I stood out because of the type of extra-curricular activities I had. Not only that but I had to demonstrate my maths skills as I was going to do further maths, as well showing that I would be able to make it to college everyday. As they have a policy to lock people out who are late even by a minute unless otherwise told.
Reply 1103
Thanks. I'm doing my DofE at the moment so that helps in the extra-curricular area.
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
HELP ME PLEASE - URGENT ! @@@ :cry2:

If I don't get in by tomorrow waiting list deadline, then if I were to take a GAP year could I reapply the following year?

If I do take a gap year, how exactly could I enter myself for GCSE Retakes. I know I would be too old to ask my previous
secondary school to re-enter my for GCSE retakes so would I have to go to any sixth-form college and ask if they
could enter me as a private candidate?

E.G if I don't get into wood-house college & take a gap year, could I go to wood-house sixth-form college and ask them
to enter me for GCSE Retakes (English literature + philosophy and ethics) but since I'm not a student at wood-house,
would they enter me as a private candidate? I want to resit these 2 gcse's in November ASAP. How much would a retake
GCSE Cost me?

Does this sound like a decent gap year plan.

SEP-NOV = Revise Philosophy & Ethics and English literature GCSE Retakes.
NOV-DEC = Sit driving theory test exam first time ( Just got my provisional license ) x.D
JAN-MAY = Revise C1 Maths, C2 Maths & ask if i could sit these exams in May as a private candidate?
MAY-AUG = Summer holidays x.D
AUGUST = Reapply to wood-house?

my gpa is 5.9 but by November I would be 6.4-6.6 after the retakes which I believe is good enough for a conditional
offer. on top of that I would sit literally 80% of AS Level maths in that gap year(c1/c2) and only have m1 to do for a AS Qualification.

Hey, I'm at Woodhouse in U6.
I personally don't think that would've been a good idea. Gap Years should be done inbetween University or after degree's, not after GCSE. No sixth-form college is worth taking a year out.
Please tell me you changed you're mind??

Yes,
I got an 6A* and 4A. i cant remember my GPA.
Nice grades, but im not sure what you're chances are. I can say that most the people i know averaged A*'s and As with a few B's . But there are also some with B's.
I can't really say much about you're chances because i don't really know what they look for but academically, i think you're fine :smile:
Thanks. I'm doing my DofE at the moment so that helps in the extra-curricular area.

certainly helps, but do have some other things which show your a all round student, or interests
Original post by Mike Hunt is nice
Hey, I'm at Woodhouse in U6.
I personally don't think that would've been a good idea. Gap Years should be done inbetween University or after degree's, not after GCSE. No sixth-form college is worth taking a year out.
Please tell me you changed you're mind??

Nop, I've taken a Gap year out quite a while now been out for a few months. I've been studying for my driving theory test & I passed it 1st time on my 17 Birthday Back in October & since then I've been taking driving lessons everyday, practising my French & Doing AS Maths C1 Past papers for my January private candidate entry. Im hoping to sit C2 in June alongside with 4 Of my GCSE retakes. :laugh: Shouldn't be that hard However I think M1 would be too much work for me aswell.:xmas:

I have my driving practical test in about 8 Days. Its booked on the 14th DEC. My dad says once I pass he'll buy me a Car But I have to get a part time job to work off the insurance $$$. :driver: Im travelling abroad to France for roughly 1 month, partly on holiday & to Improve my French as Im planning to take AS Level French. :france:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1108
Nop, I've taken a Gap year out quite a while now been out for a few months. I've been studying for my driving theory test & I passed it 1st time on my 17 Birthday Back in October & since then I've been taking driving lessons everyday, practising my French & Doing AS Maths C1 Past papers for my January private candidate entry. Im hoping to sit C2 in June alongside with 4 Of my GCSE retakes. :laugh: Shouldn't be that hard However I think M1 would be too much work for me aswell.:xmas:

I have my driving practical test in about 8 Days. Its booked on the 14th DEC. My dad says once I pass he'll buy me a Car But I have to get a part time job to work off the insurance $$$. :driver: Im travelling abroad to France for roughly 1 month, partly on holiday & to Improve my French as Im planning to take AS Level French. :france:

No college is worth taking a gap year at age 16 :s-smilie:. Everything you have done so far you could of done while being at college, and you wouldnt be a year behind. But its too late for that now, what are you planning next year?
Original post by Polioz
No college is worth taking a gap year at age 16 :s-smilie:. Everything you have done so far you could of done while being at college, and you wouldnt be a year behind. But its too late for that now, what are you planning next year?

College - A levels: Maths, Physics, History, French. (Might do Chemistry AS Level as well since I would only have Maths M1 module left for the entire AS Maths qualification. Wbu? :smile:

I left Woodhouse this September after completing only the first year.
I got straight into Woodhouse with 1A*, 2As, 3Bs, 2Cs and a D... which averaged out to exactly 6 GPA which is what they wanted :smile: I didn't go to a feeder school or anything.
Don't worry, you have nothing to worry about. Just give a good impression at the interview! :smile:
Original post by dying-divinity
I got straight into Woodhouse with 1A*, 2As, 3Bs, 2Cs and a D... which averaged out to exactly 6 GPA which is what they wanted :smile: I didn't go to a feeder school or anything.
Don't worry, you have nothing to worry about. Just give a good impression at the interview! :smile:

What were your A levels? :s-smilie:
Did you have an handful of extra-curricular? :wink:
Reply 1112
Original post by dying-divinity

Thanks. I should average out to a 6 for my GPA. How was the interview?
Reply 1113
Hi, I'm just wondering when do you know whether you have an interview or not?
I'm predicted A*AAAAAAAAA and a distinction. Even though I have an A* in Expressive arts, English literature and English language. I'm very extra curricular, I am in the netball, football and athletics team, I'm currently doing my Duke of Edinburgh Award and I volunteer.

EDIT : LOL I got neg rating? *shrugs*
(edited 11 years ago)
To any student who attended/attending woodhouse. Is it as competitive as they say. Although my GPA (i think thats what it's called) is a solid 7.1 I am picking really popular subjects which get really competitive. How many students are accepted? I mean like in one year (lets say year 12) how many students are there?
Just really dubious....
Original post by stephbo
Hi, I'm just wondering when do you know whether you have an interview or not?
I'm predicted A*AAAAAAAAA and a distinction. Even though I have an A* in Expressive arts, English literature and English language. I'm very extra curricular, I am in the netball, football and athletics team, I'm currently doing my Duke of Edinburgh Award and I volunteer.

It depends, it really varies from maybe about Feburary to about late March, you'll know either if you got rejected, got an interview or given a unconditional offer.

Original post by ThenAaliyahSaid
To any student who attended/attending woodhouse. Is it as competitive as they say. Although my GPA (i think thats what it's called) is a solid 7.1 I am picking really popular subjects which get really competitive. How many students are accepted? I mean like in one year (lets say year 12) how many students are there?
Just really dubious....

Since I left, its gotten even more competitive but they have opened up more places due to funding cuts, my sisters which is the current year 12 has about 700 I believe.
Reply 1116
Original post by Iqbal007
It depends, it really varies from maybe about Feburary to about late March, you'll know either if you got rejected, got an interview or given a unconditional offer.

Thank you very much because I was wondering why haven't I got a reply, but how do you know do they send an email or letter home? Also, do they tell you they have received your application?

Since I left, its gotten even more competitive but they have opened up more places due to funding cuts, my sisters which is the current year 12 has about 700 I believe.

Wow so the year must be pretty big then

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Original post by stephbo
Wow so the year must be pretty big then

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Yeah they've been expanding due to budget cuts to increase funding, but also they have started opening up more classrooms.
What were your A levels? :s-smilie:
Did you have an handful of extra-curricular? :wink:

At that point (before I actually changed a couple of my courses) I was down to do Computing, Maths, Art and Dance.

It helped that I had grade 6 ballet, grade 4 clarinet and bronze Duke of Edinburgh!

They like people who will be able to get involved in the college community :smile:
Thanks. I should average out to a 6 for my GPA. How was the interview?

The interview didn't go too well but I tried my best.

They like putting you with one of your prospective teachers for the interview at Woodhouse. Mine was with a certain Computing teacher (who doesn't teach at Woodhouse any more) and I found him to just be trying to point out all my flaws.

... but I got in straight away so it must have been fine! :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending