The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Vintage
I'm sceptical of the whole Berba saga but...

If Berbatov is to leave Man Utd. If he wanted to remain in England. Who would buy him?
I'd rule City, Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool out.
To Spurs would hang on if Redknapp wanted him back. Then that leaves us, Everton, Villa or Sunderland. It would be Newcastle i reckon.

Plus we would promise Berba a start every game. & he'd be our star man.

Plus Berby used to be a Toon fan when he was young!

If Spurs didn't want him, and for whatever reason he had to stay in England, he'd sign a new contract with us, or run down his existing one.

To be brutally honest you're not a good enough club for him, sorry if it sounds harsh.
Reply 61
Original post by Student2806
Berba won't come to us. Bigger clubs will clamber for him if Man U actually want to get rid of him.

Such as...?

If he wants to stay in England, then I genuinely see us as the leading contenders.
Reply 62
Original post by Vintage
I'm sceptical of the whole Berba saga but...

If Berbatov is to leave Man Utd. If he wanted to remain in England. Who would buy him?
I'd rule City, Arsenal, Chelsea & Liverpool out.
To Spurs would hang on if Redknapp wanted him back. Then that leaves us, Everton, Villa or Sunderland. It would be Newcastle i reckon.

Plus we would promise Berba a start every game. & he'd be our star man.

Plus Berby used to be a Toon fan when he was young!

You make a valid point about where he'd go, I don't think any of the top five need him or would want him.

If push came to shove though I could see him going abroad, Germany maybe. He won't settle for just playing PL football.
Original post by Louis.
If Spurs didn't want him, and for whatever reason he had to stay in England, he'd sign a new contract with us, or run down his existing one.

To be brutally honest you're not a good enough club for him, sorry if it sounds harsh.

Similar to Anelka going to Bolton?
Reply 64
Original post by Da_hopeful_1
Similar to Anelka going to Bolton?

No. You can't compare a journeyman striker moving from Fenerbache to the league's joint top scorer moving from Man Utd, it's not similar at all.
Reply 65
Original post by Louis.
No. You can't compare a journeyman striker moving from Fenerbache to the league's joint top scorer moving from Man Utd, it's not similar at all.

Alan Shearer?

Hasselbaink to Boro?
Rumours rife Liverpool have had a bid accepted for Barton.
Reply 67
Original post by Vintage
Alan Shearer?

Hasselbaink to Boro?

Shearer was a proper Geordie so it's not a fair comparison. I doubt the depth of Dimi's "support" for the club.

If memory serves Hasselbaink was a bit older than Berba is now, and I wouldn't say he's the same calibre of player anyway. Chelsea weren't at the same standard then as Utd are now as well.

It's a different era, money talks more now than it did then. Is it worth smashing your wage structure for a 90k a week player? If not why would he take a pay cut when he could get similar money abroad?

I'd actually like to see him at you but I really really really cannot see it.
Original post by adam_leeds
Having fun never winning anything?

I could say the same thing to you. 20 years without a trophy and in the Championship, or 40 years without a trophy in the Premier League... I wonder which one is better...
Reply 69
Having fun never winning anything?

Having fun being a big premier league club thanks very much :h:
:yawn: Come back when you've got some new material.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 71
Leeds will probably just get relegated into League 1 again and spend another four years there.
Reply 72
Original post by Vintage
Loads of papers reporting we are lining up getting Berbatov in on a £7.5m deal. Probs rubbish but he'd be a great signing.

Doesn't fit our set of buying in youth though. But 7.5m for the leagues top scorer?

:cookie:
Reply 73
Barton absolutely hates Liverpool, I'd be very surprised if he moved there.

Can't see Berbatov move coming off either but I'd love to see him play here, what a player.

Dimitar never missed a Newcastle game when it was on television. And Shearer was up there with Pele as a God for him."

Another pal, Stefan Damianov, recalled how Berbatov considered himself to be an honorary Geordie as he followed the Toon and grew up in a mining region of Blagoevgrad.

:love:
Reply 74
I would but i'm too busy laughing at when people call newcastle a big club.

When was Leeds last in an FA Cup final? When were Leeds last in the Champions League? When were Leeds last in a European semi-final?

For Newcastle: 1998 and 1999. 2003. 2007 (I think).

For Leeds: 1973. 2001. 2001.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

When were Leeds last in the top division for goodness sake? When did Leeds last make a world record signing (as Newcastle have done)?

Who has the significantly larger stadium (both are one team clubs, in urban areas of a complarable size).

Yes, you can argue that you won the title more recently. But that was still in 1992 and a one off, before some people on this site were even born. Leeds haven't even won a European trophy iirc (Newcastle have, albeit the Inter Cities Fairs cup). Newcastle have at least as many league titles and more FA Cups. The FA Cups and Leagues you've managed were largely thanks to a team of complete thugs who kicked and fouled their way to victory.

I'm not arguing that Newcastle are a bigger club. It's just dick waving to be honest. But Newcastle do have more of a history in terms of competitions won, and greater success in being able to maintain themselves as a top flight club in recent history. They spent big in the 90s, but didn't implode like Leeds. As a Leeds fan you really, really cannot even begin to WUM.

If you were a Man U fan then, feel free to WUM. But you can only dream on Ejoy your season in the Championship. Watch out for League One! :hat2:

Oh, and speaking of Man U, I don't seem to remember Leeds giving 5-0 hammerings out to Manchester United in my lifetime.

Original post by Louis.
Shearer was a proper Geordie so it's not a fair comparison. I doubt the depth of Dimi's "support" for the club.

I believe he supports them purely because of Shearer (having watched Shearer during Euro 96). So had the move to Newcaste not come off, he could easily be a Blackburn or Manchester United fan (assuming that, with Newcastle not an option, Shearer would've gone to Manchester).

You cannot compare Berba to Shearer. Shearer grew up in the city and was desperate to play for the club and wear that number nine but got rejected. So he was willing to chose them over anyone when the opportunity finally came.

Also, and this probably had no influence but it's worth mentioning, the Newcaslte of the mid-1990s was very different to the Newcastle of today. You had just finished second in the Premiership, had a quailty side, and were playing attacking football which could beat almost anyone in Europe on their day. So it looked like a tropy, including the league title, was posibly on the cards. Unfortunately this is no longer the case. Certain Scouse-loving **** soon put an end to that.

Perhaps Berba still enjoyed the excellent attacking football under Keegan and this strengethened his feelings, I don't know. I'm not saying that it won't happen, but I feel that it may be a bad move for Newcastle. Similar to the move they made for Owen. Not because Berba will be as injury prone as Owen (although given Newcastle's luck with players getting long term injuries, since the days of Bobby Robson especially, this may happen) but more that I just don't seem him as a Newcastle type player. Too much of a financial risk even if he will consider joining.
Reply 75
Original post by River85
When was Leeds last in an FA Cup final? When were Leeds last in the Champions League? When were Leeds last in a European semi-final?

2004 was the semi finals, when we lost to Marseille. The following season we lost to Sporting Lisbon in the Quarters. In 2007 we were knocked out in the last 16 by AZ Alkmaar, which currently stands as our last game in Europe :rolleyes:

Epic put-down though. I'd like to see him come back WUMing after that.
Reply 76
Original post by River85

Correct me if I'm wrong.

When were Leeds last in the top division for goodness sake? When did Leeds last make a world record signing (as Newcastle have done)?

Who has the significantly larger stadium (both are one team clubs, in urban areas of a complarable size).

Yes, you can argue that you won the title more recently. But that was still in 1992 and a one off, before some people on this site were even born. Leeds haven't even won a European trophy iirc (Newcastle have, albeit the Inter Cities Fairs cup). Newcastle have at least as many league titles and more FA Cups. The FA Cups and Leagues you've managed were largely thanks to a team of complete thugs who kicked and fouled their way to victory.

I'm not arguing that Newcastle are a bigger club. It's just dick waving to be honest. But Newcastle do have more of a history in terms of competitions won, and greater success in being able to maintain themselves as a top flight club in recent history. They spent big in the 90s, but didn't implode like Leeds. As a Leeds fan you really, really cannot even begin to WUM.

If you were a Man U fan then, feel free to WUM. But you can only dream on Ejoy your season in the Championship. Watch out for League One! :hat2:

Oh, and speaking of Man U, I don't seem to remember Leeds giving 5-0 hammerings out to Manchester United in my lifetime.

I believe he supports them purely because of Shearer (having watched Shearer during Euro 96). So had the move to Newcaste not come off, he could easily be a Blackburn or Manchester United fan (assuming that, with Newcastle not an option, Shearer would've gone to Manchester).

You cannot compare Berba to Shearer. Shearer grew up in the city and was desperate to play for the club and wear that number nine but got rejected. So he was willing to chose them over anyone when the opportunity finally came.

Also, and this probably had no influence but it's worth mentioning, the Newcaslte of the mid-1990s was very different to the Newcastle of today. You had just finished second in the Premiership, had a quailty side, and were playing attacking football which could beat almost anyone in Europe on their day. So it looked like a tropy, including the league title, was posibly on the cards. Unfortunately this is no longer the case. Certain Scouse-loving **** soon put an end to that.

Perhaps Berba still enjoyed the excellent attacking football under Keegan and this strengethened his feelings, I don't know. I'm not saying that it won't happen, but I feel that it may be a bad move for Newcastle. Similar to the move they made for Owen. Not because Berba will be as injury prone as Owen (although given Newcastle's luck with players getting long term injuries, since the days of Bobby Robson especially, this may happen) but more that I just don't seem him as a Newcastle type player. Too much of a financial risk even if he will consider joining.

I do agree with most of your post here. But on Newcastle's current rep. Everyone outside of Europe (Mainly in Europe - France, Holland, Italy - Spain to a certain point) still see's Newcastle as a massive club. After the Manchesters, Liverpool, Arsenal & Chelsea. Alot of Europe see us as the next club after them. (Spurs may have taken over after this season just gone in the champions league). Certainly look at the clubs that have fluked Europe in the past few years. Fulham, Villa, Portsmouth (Could have) & Birmingham. Newcastle can easily get Europe next season.

I do think the Berbatov stuff was just simply papertalk. I think 90k is a lot of pay out. If it was just a 2 year contract maybes fair enough. But we don't want to be lumbered with more ridiculous wages. I think we are a few years off going for players who command that much in wage.

& about Leeds. We nearly did do a Leeds esk crumble. If Sheppard had stayed on we would have. Give Mike Ashley that. He bailed us out.

Leeds are a crumble team. Who get's relegated from the Premiership with a team like they did?
We have been linked with Daniel Sturidge from Chelsea who was on loan for Bolton. Would be a great signing imo.
Reply 78
Nolan close to new deal apparantley?
Original post by Vintage
Nolan close to new deal apparantley?

Brilliant news if indeed true.

I've got real hope for next season.

Latest