The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Girl : concentrate on GCSEs
Guy : find someone his own age
Reply 2
Girl: Probably immature and annoying.
Guy: Wants some easy action from a girl who probably 'loves' him.
Reply 3
If you're happy, go for it. Don't let people tell you what to do - they don't know you and they don't know whoever it is you're with (I'm assuming this question is about you?)
Guys only go for girls that much younger than them at that age if they can't get anyone from a closer age to them.
I think maybe the girl should wait a while before she starts going out with him to allow her time to focus on her GCSEs because her GCSEs will stay with her and the guy might not. Also if they waited a few years then the age gap would seem to shrink so it wouldn't seem so like "OMG HE'S WAY TOO OLD FOR YOU". :smile:
Reply 6
Obviously some couples are the exception, but in general it goes like this:

Girl: Naive, thinks an older boyfried makes her look cool and mature.
Guy: Wants an easy target
Reply 7
Not good. I was 16 and in a relationship with an older guy. God what a liberty he took. My poor naive young self. Go for someone your own age who has the emotional maturity and experience to deal with an adult relationship.
Girl: find someone your own age
Guy: LAD
Likes them young and probably younger.
Girl: Sleep tight for your last few nights of sanity.
Guy: Sleep tight for your last few nights of not being in jail.
If it's a 16 year old girl and a 23 year old guy, the general consensus will be that he is "creepy" and clearly a "pedo" even though the girl is of legal age..

If it's a 16 year old guy and a 23 year old girl, the general consensus will be "lad", "lucky bastard", etc....
Reply 12
Original post by OceanInTheSky
If it's a 16 year old girl and a 23 year old guy, the general consensus will be that he is "creepy" and clearly a "pedo" even though the girl is of legal age..

If it's a 16 year old guy and a 23 year old girl, the general consensus will be "lad", "lucky bastard", etc....

/agreed
Reply 13
Likes them young and probably younger. Peado.

Says a girl has a picture of a 39 year old man on her sig, and would probably have f'd the living leroy out of him when she was 16 had he offered.

Personally I think it's a bit odd in terms of where each person would likely be in their headspace. Maturity comes to mind too - but only a little. I see immature 20+ year olds all the time displaying the kind of behaviour you'd see in a playground with little kids. Only difference is they have bills to pay.
I'm 18 dating a 24 year old so it's a little different but I was sort of with him when I was 16 (you could say it was at the "it's complicated" stage)
He's LOVELY(I would say that but he really is!), although in general the stereotype with guys dating girls that age is that they're taking advantage. It depends a lot on the situation, you have to know the guy because honestly, I'm sure there are lots of 16-18 year old guys just take advantage and lots of guys in their twenties who genuinely want to be with you. You just have to use your judgement, and listen to friends and family and people who know him.
Also be aware that if he IS after an actual relationship it's likely to feel more serious, because due to your ages he'll have had a lot more experience with relationships and just life in general.
Original post by OceanInTheSky

Exactly what I was going to say. Couldn't have said it better.
Wrong wrong wrong! Whichever way round it is! When I hear about this kind of thing I always wonder what the hell is wrong with the older person which means they can't get/are not attracted to people their own age.
Original post by Diabolic99
Exactly what I was going to say. Couldn't have said it better.

In my opinion, it is still wrong that a woman of 23 goes for a boy (yes boy) of that age.

God, I don't think I could imagine being with anyone under 20, even casually.

However I sort of understand why it appears that there are double standards with the acceptance of very young males and older women, which probably is about the stereotype that younger girls are more likely to forge powerful emotional attachments in relationships than males, which may make them vulnerable to deeper and lasting hurt. An older male may be associated with increased maturity and trust which adds another dimension of vulnerability for a younger girl.

Men are expected in society to have more control or compartmentalisation of their emotions and sex. Not that that's true, but it certainly seems much of society expects them to.

Of course this is just a stereotype, but one that might shape people's attitudes quite significantly.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Someone is obviously feeling a little R. Kelly...
Good luck dude I was in a similar situation (execept 21) and posted up on here for peoples thoughts but all the pedo comments etc got tedious and I can only imagine people saying/thinking the same in real life. JaiiStarh its not about not getting attracted to people your own age but if a 16 year old came on to you would you not want a quick bit of action?

Latest

Trending

Trending