The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Just registered for UCAS today :woo:
Much fun :biggrin:
Original post by fluteflute
Whilst my quoting wikipedia will probably soon be leaving my Personal Statement, I have added a sentence involving Facebook which is there to stay :biggrin:

[I just realised I could write about the programming I did that interfaces with Facebook]

Hahaha your statment sounds great!!! :biggrin:
Original post by madders94
Do you only do one year of college in Scotland before University? I'm confused :s-smilie:

Hi, I'm a "mature" student so I'm going to college to do an access course which is only 1 year :smile:

LMx
Original post by socialworkertobe
Hi, I'm a "mature" student so I'm going to college to do an access course which is only 1 year :smile:

LMx

Another access person!:biggrin:
Original post by Beebumble
This going to be one drawn out summer until I finally start college and get that buzzword! :angry::colondollar::redface:

Glad I'm not the only one. I wasn't even thinking about university until I noticed this thread yesterday and realised everyone is waaaay ahead of me so today has been spent doing some research. I'm so excited now. Are you also doing an access course? What you studying?

LMx
Oh wow. I think my mind just heard the '4000' part and ignored the word 'characters' assuming it was a 4000 word limit.

How much of an A4 page does 4000 characters take up? :frown:
Reply 1186
Original post by Accalia
Oh wow. I think my mind just heard the '4000' part and ignored the word 'characters' assuming it was a 4000 word limit.

You should write slightly more than a page, but you're better off checking with the "preview" feature on the UCAS statemet page.
I wrote close to 600 words and I had to short it down because it exceeded the line limit, but I still had 600 characters to go.
EDIT: After cutting the crap, I'm back to 40 lines / 2899 characters. :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Accalia

You thought they would read 4000 words :lol:
Original post by stifa
You should write slightly more than a page, but you're better off checking with the "preview" feature on the UCAS statemet page.
I wrote close to 600 words and I had to short it down because it exceeded the line limit, but I still had 600 characters to go.

Ah, right :redface: I suppose having a limit is practical but a little freedom would be nice. Both sets of my Lit coursework were over the word limit... which was more of a guideline, than set in stone like this one is.
Remember to read through your statement when you eventually put the final one on UCAS as it fecks about with stuff sometimes.
Original post by paddy__power
You thought they would read 4000 words :lol:

:colondollar:
Thinking about it, that was a pretty stupid assumption to make. I just didn't think and started writing.
Original post by Accalia
Thinking about it, that was a pretty stupid assumption to make. I just didn't think and started writing.

Exactly the same here! I think we've discussed this before, actually...
Original post by Accalia

:lol:

Are you sure about your Lit CW BTW? I'm pretty sure Edexcel are meant to stop marking past the word limit. :smile:
Eeek UCAS makes it all seem real! D:
I've done the first draft of my PS and nearly finished the rest of the forms,but got a few problems with it. :frown:
Not sure to put a 4-month long illness (ongoing,and including exam period) down on it, and today my school decided to tell me they didn't aggregate my fast track AS from last year. So it'll go as a 2011 qualification which is really putting me in a sticky situation >< Any idea what to do?

Are you sure about your Lit CW BTW? I'm pretty sure Edexcel are meant to stop marking past the word limit. :smile:

Yep... 750 limit for the first one, mine was just over 1000, then 1500 for the second and I got up to 2000 (but I was sneaky and when including the word count at the bottom wrote the value which didn't include quotes, which was about 100 over). I'm on WJEC, and my tutors said it'd be fine.

They're the ones marking it so I'd like to think they weren't lying to me :tongue:
Reply 1195
Word limits on examinations and coursework? That's far beyond retarded, in my opinion.

Well, you might have shorter examination time than us, right? I had three written exams this year, and all of them lasted five hours; in my case, a word limit would be pretty much stupid.

That isn't how A level English marking is done. If the mark scheme exacts a penalty for going over the word count (and AQA certainly doesn't specify one, and I doubt Edexcel does either. That method went out a good number of years ago) it is done by reducing the marks slightly after marking the piece as a whole. Not to read the whole thing would be regarded as grossly unprofessional. And before you ask how I know this, it is because I have taught A level English Lit for 23 years and have also been an examiner. Don't scaremonger.
Original post by carnationlilyrose
That isn't how A level English marking is done. If the mark scheme exacts a penalty for going over the word count (and AQA certainly doesn't specify one, and I doubt Edexcel does either. That method went out a good number of years ago) it is done by reducing the marks slightly after marking the piece as a whole. Not to read the whole thing would be regarded as grossly unprofessional. And before you ask how I know this, it is because I have taught A level English Lit for 23 years and have also been an examiner. Don't scaremonger.

I don't disbelieve you, but it was something my teacher was told at a conference or something for Edexcel by one of the chief examiners. There is a fair chance she badly communicated it to us and what was meant was lost in translation though :smile:

I don't really mind - I just stuck to the word counts (I had to boost mine when they were finished anyway as it was a rush job).

Don't be so accusatory. :h:
Original post by stifa
Word limits on examinations and coursework? That's far beyond retarded, in my opinion.

Well, you might have shorter examination time than us, right? I had three written exams this year, and all of them lasted five hours; in my case, a word limit would be pretty much stupid.

Not in exams :nope:
Original post by socialworkertobe
Glad I'm not the only one. I wasn't even thinking about university until I noticed this thread yesterday and realised everyone is waaaay ahead of me so today has been spent doing some research. I'm so excited now. Are you also doing an access course? What you studying?

LMx

Hopefully Creative Studies.
I've not even had my interview so I'm being really premature.:redface:

Although I have spoken to the course administrator and he said I'm almost definitely on just need to go through the formalities.

Latest

Trending

Trending