The Student Room Group

Which historical event would you like to witness...

... and why?

Yes, before you ask its an interview question.

I'm not looking to steal anyone's answers though - just want to see what others have to say.

Personally - I can think of loads of events, but I can't really put my finger on why and whether my reasoning is relevant at all to the job I'm applying for. But that's all irrelevant to this thread.

- England winning the world cup in 1966 (I think it would have been great to witness since I don't think we're ever going to witness it again any time soon.)

- Approval of the Declaration of Independence by Congress. Despite being British, I think America has one of the best systems of governance in the world. It has its flaws, but at the same time it is very democratic and transparent.

I also feel a lot of American ideals and ideas are great. The importance they place on individualism, liberty, freedom etc.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Even though the Soviet photographer added smoke to the background to add to the drama of this now historic shot. I still would have wished to have been personally present at what must have been an truly exhilarating moment, which ended-up symbolizing Soviet victory and revenge, as the Soviet Hammer and Sickle flag flew freely and victoriously over a Riechstag that would have if succeeded, overseen it and many of its peoples utter annihilation.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
First day of this universe.
I'd like to go hang out with Jesus. I mean, I'm an atheist... but he'd probably still be a laugh.
Reply 4
The first use of electricity to light a bulb. It must have seemed truly magical.
Reply 5
Original post by karateworm
I'd like to go hang out with Jesus. I mean, I'm an atheist... but he'd probably still be a laugh.

Hmmmm...... If your an atheist and you met him, I reckon he would have a laugh, not be one. The joke would be on you!
Reply 6
Moon landing as other than maybe mars, i doubt we will travel to many other parts of space.
Reply 8
Original post by GraviticWar

Even though the Soviet photographer added smoke to the background to add to the drama of this now historic shot. I still would have wished to have been personally present at what must have been an truly exhilarating moment, which ended-up symbolizing Soviet victory and revenge, as the Soviet Hammer and Sickle flag flew freely and victoriously over a Riechstag that would have if succeeded, overseen it and many of its peoples utter annihilation.

I understand what you mean there... it is an awesome photo... the other day this was shown in my history class on Germany 1945-1991 and our teacher said this picture was basically fake/staged - e.g. one of the soldiers in the back wore two watches but it was edited. So disappointing...

Original post by avig613
The first use of electricity to light a bulb. It must have seemed truly magical.

When I first read this thread that was what first sprang to mind...

I think it would be amusing on the first person to ride a horse or the first person to look at a cow and think 'I will drink from that'
Reply 9
The last days of the Roman Empire, The French Revolution, Stalingrad. I can't narrow it down to one.
Reply 10
Hannibal kickin' the Romans' butts in the Alps, The Battle of Hastings, the spread of Lutheranism and the Reformation, Prague during the Medieval Times, the English Civil War, the Crimean War, the Boer Wars, the Discovery of America, the first world war, the Bolshevik Revolution, all of Russian history from then on till present, Second World War, Stalingrad, the 100 day siege of Leningrad, Kursk in 1943, Battle of Moscow, D-Day, North Africa, Pacific Theatre, the Battle of the Bulge, Operation Market Garden, Battle of Britain, French Revolution, Alexander the Great, Battle of Berlin, end of WW2, foundation of NHS, formation of Israel, Korean War, Cuban Revolution, Beatlemania, 60s, Vietnam, ALL MOMENTS OF HISTORY!!!

Just so you know I do realise that these are not in chronological order, they were written in the order I though them up.
Reply 11
Caveman times lol. It will be quite scary though.
If not, I'd probably like to be there around Jesus' time or earlier.
I know, it doesn't make much sense :biggrin:
I only say this, because for the other times, the gaps was probably bigger, with what women and men can become.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TizzWazz
I understand what you mean there... it is an awesome photo... the other day this was shown in my history class on Germany 1945-1991 and our teacher said this picture was basically fake/staged - e.g. one of the soldiers in the back wore two watches but it was edited. So disappointing...

Yes, I must agree. The officials thought that the sight of looting members of the Red Army would look badly and told the Soviet photographer to edit them out. The guy with who wore two watches in the original photo, as you said were removed. This ''staged'' nature does detract slightly from it as an historical moment but that's still overridden for me personally, through its symbolization of the Red wave that swept across Europe and crushed Berlin. So maybe I would not have liked to witness the actual ''moment'' that the flag was placed there but instead just have wanted to witness it flying there over the Reichstag. The ''staged'' nature of the whole event, definitely does make the actual moment that it was placed there ''disappointing''...your correct in that respect. I'll have to think of a different ''moment'' then!
(edited 12 years ago)
When chamberlain said that the "agreement" with Hitler was 'Peace in our Time'

ha
Reply 14
Moon Landing, being around when Ais forces surrended in WW2, when the first person discovered fire.
Reply 15
Genghis Khan sounds like a laugh, you know going around butchering people and all that. :cool:
Original post by TizzWazz

...If only how Call of Duty portrays the raising of the flag over the Reichstag was the truth...:biggrin:...you know the whole knife lunging Nazis etc., instead of the reality that was a pre-planned, wrist watch editing, ''staged'' photo opportunity! :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by GraviticWar

...If only how Call of Duty portrays the raising of the flag over the Reichstag was the truth...:biggrin:...you know the whole knife lunging Nazis, instead of the reality that was a pre-planned wrist watch editing, ''staged'' photo opportunity! :biggrin:

:thumbsup:
I'd love to have been in Berlin for the fall of the Wall, even though it was basically a cock up rather than fully intentional.
Original post by oldham_fran
I'd love to have been in Berlin for the fall of the Wall, even though it was basically a cock up rather than fully intentional.

AHHHH I was gonna say that :wink: would've been amaazing! all those families reuinted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending