The Student Room Group

Not happy with the accommodation they have given me

Basically i applied to Cumbria University as my only choice.

I chose to live in Fusehil Street halls in an en-suite room

They have given me a standard room with shared bathroom in Brampton road

I'm really panicking about this- i really wanted an ensuite room but said they were over subscribed :frown:

Is there anything i can do about it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think so, usually the accommodation you choose is your preference not what you will definatly get, I guess you could call them to see if you could be put on a waiting list as some people will not get the grades so their accomidation will be free
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Unfortunately not. I had the same problem as I wanted ensuite, but there's nothing you can do except reject the offer - which isn't advisable.
don't reject the offer, your accommodation should allow people to swap rooms which is far easier than going onto a waiting list
you can do a room swap once you start normally after the first week

shared accommodation is really not that bad
Original post by Hakuna.Matata
Basically i applied to Cumbria University as my only choice.

I chose to live in Fusehil Street halls in an en-suite room

They have given me a standard room with shared bathroom in Brampton road

I'm really panicking about this- i really wanted an ensuite room but said they were over subscribed :frown:

Is there anything i can do about it?

Don't panic about it! Shared bathrooms aren't as bad as they seem. Is there a particular reason why you need an ensuite, such as a medical condition?

Keep the offer for now, and see if you can swap/be put on a waiting list for an ensuite. They are always people who get rooms who ultimately don't make their offer, and that's when the waiting list comes into play.
Do you have a medical condition which means you need an ensuite? Tbh most people at my uni make it up - the reasons I've heard so far (made up and non made up) inc: heavy periods, mobility problems, anxiety about bathroom sharing, chronic cold hands (meaning it takes longer for them to get ready in the mornings), obesity and lack of confidence..the list goes on.
Go and look for private halls in the area? Generally they have en-suites.

However don't reject the offer till you defiantly find an alternative, if not just accept it.
Original post by Wild_Precious_Life
Do you have a medical condition which means you need an ensuite? Tbh most people at my uni make it up - the reasons I've heard so far (made up and non made up) inc: heavy periods, mobility problems, anxiety about bathroom sharing, chronic cold hands (meaning it takes longer for them to get ready in the mornings), obesity and lack of confidence..the list goes on.

Don't make something up. It then makes it seem like the students with a genuine need for an en-suite are trying to play the system too. The priority for students with medical reasons is there so the people who need it can get it and the other students all have an equal chance. This is why they ask for medical evidence.
Reply 8
Thanks guys :smile:

No i don't have a medical problem, i just get a lot of anxiety about most things especially when it involves other people. I have found a private halls near the area but i will probably accept my offer as i have had time think about it. (i've asked to be put on the waiting list) so fingers crossed :biggrin:
Reply 9
Original post by Hakuna.Matata
Thanks guys :smile:

No i don't have a medical problem, i just get a lot of anxiety about most things especially when it involves other people. I have found a private halls near the area but i will probably accept my offer as i have had time think about it. (i've asked to be put on the waiting list) so fingers crossed :biggrin:

Don't worry about brampton road halls :smile: I lived there last year (in a ensuite mind) but trust me it was so not worth the £1,100 and for the compromise of a TINY kitchen and all of the bloody problems I had with it and having to get it fixed. The sharing bathrooms are nice it'll be fine! A cleaner cleaned them twice a week. My friends in the shared bathrooms never had any problems. If you are doing a course at BR campus you'll be thankful for being able to get out of bed 15 mins before a lecture and just walking around the corner. I'm going to miss that the most! But honestly given the chance again I'd NEVER pay for the ensuite it was not worth it.
Reply 10
Lovely single room to rent in town near Madrid(5 min
walk to the train station, metro and bus). Ideally suited for a young professional,student...nice atmosphere,swimming pool,garage, quiet, clean, bright room.. Full use of the flat which includes the kitchen, living room (TV and DVD, wireless internet ). New furniture and all kitchen utensils/equipment supplied. Also if needed I can supply clean bed sheets and towels. you can reach me at 0034 672549983 :smile:
Original post by alinabibi
Lovely single room to rent in town near Madrid(5 min
walk to the train station, metro and bus). Ideally suited for a young professional,student...nice atmosphere,swimming pool,garage, quiet, clean, bright room.. Full use of the flat which includes the kitchen, living room (TV and DVD, wireless internet ). New furniture and all kitchen utensils/equipment supplied. Also if needed I can supply clean bed sheets and towels. you can reach me at 0034 672549983 :smile:

Your choice of threads is just getting better and better :tongue:
Reply 12
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Don't make something up. It then makes it seem like the students with a genuine need for an en-suite are trying to play the system too. The priority for students with medical reasons is there so the people who need it can get it and the other students all have an equal chance. This is why they ask for medical evidence.

i GAVE medical evidence and still didn't get an en-suite. i haven't even got a room at all. ridiculous.
Original post by bhx
i GAVE medical evidence and still didn't get an en-suite. i haven't even got a room at all. ridiculous.

WHAT? Where for? You've got me all panicked now. Why did you not appeal? Surely they're not allowed to do that?
Original post by bhx

From your sig am I right in thinking this is Westminster? Do you live within the M25?
Reply 15
These things happen

Think of the money you'll save
Reply 16
Original post by SmallTownGirl
WHAT? Where for? You've got me all panicked now. Why did you not appeal? Surely they're not allowed to do that?

jelly1000
From your sig am I right in thinking this is Westminster? Do you live within the M25?

tried to do two quotes, sorry if it didn't work..

for Westminster, yeah. i have appealed, i'm in the process at the moment. basically, they were the ones that told me to go through the DSA process, told me i was priority etc then rejected me for accommodation so i obviously was quite annoyed hah. i've appealed - well, told them my situation again - and they said that no-one that has applied with medical evidence has been refused accommodation so i should be okay but to send my medical evidence again which is a letter of my diagnosis (i couldn't get anything better). i got an e-mail today saying that this might not be enough without my DSA report for the accommodation officer. the thing with Westminster is at my campus' halls, they have no shared bathrooms which is good and bad at the same time because it means that people that don't need/want en-suite get it anyway :/

what i'm really not understanding right now is how they can say that's not enough when it is the letter that supported my DSA application that they accepted? like, it was obviously enough for them so why not for the accommodation department.

but yeah, i do live within the m25 but i made it clear that i couldn't actually go to Westminster if i had to commute, i wouldn't be able to stay on trains and tubes that long with my medical condition. i literally live on the other side of london and then 30 minutes.. it takes over 2 hours to get to harrow :/
before this, i didn't class what i have (IBS) as particularly disabling but there are a few things that would be awful without being close to the campus and without an en-suite. some people think i'm just using it to get halls but trust me, you wouldn't want to share a bathroom with me!
Original post by bhx
tried to do two quotes, sorry if it didn't work..

for Westminster, yeah. i have appealed, i'm in the process at the moment. basically, they were the ones that told me to go through the DSA process, told me i was priority etc then rejected me for accommodation so i obviously was quite annoyed hah. i've appealed - well, told them my situation again - and they said that no-one that has applied with medical evidence has been refused accommodation so i should be okay but to send my medical evidence again which is a letter of my diagnosis (i couldn't get anything better). i got an e-mail today saying that this might not be enough without my DSA report for the accommodation officer. the thing with Westminster is at my campus' halls, they have no shared bathrooms which is good and bad at the same time because it means that people that don't need/want en-suite get it anyway :/

what i'm really not understanding right now is how they can say that's not enough when it is the letter that supported my DSA application that they accepted? like, it was obviously enough for them so why not for the accommodation department.

but yeah, i do live within the m25 but i made it clear that i couldn't actually go to Westminster if i had to commute, i wouldn't be able to stay on trains and tubes that long with my medical condition. i literally live on the other side of london and then 30 minutes.. it takes over 2 hours to get to harrow :/
before this, i didn't class what i have (IBS) as particularly disabling but there are a few things that would be awful without being close to the campus and without an en-suite. some people think i'm just using it to get halls but trust me, you wouldn't want to share a bathroom with me!

Good luck with your appeal. I totally understand why you need halls and all and hope you get a room. The reason the evidence was enough for them to accept your DSA application is because they have no limit on the number of people they can accept with DSA, however they have a real shortage of halls space at the Harrow Campus so will have prioritised international students and others living hundreds of miles away who, like you, physically couldn't commute every day, though of course their case for not being able to commute is a lot more straight forward.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by jelly1000
Good luck with your appeal. I totally understand why you need halls and all and hope you get a room. The reason the evidence was enough for them to accept your DSA application is because they have no limit on the number of people they can accept with DSA, however they have a real shortage of halls space at the Harrow Campus so will have prioritised international students and others living hundreds of miles away who, like you, physically couldn't commute every day, though of course their case for not being able to commute is a lot more straight forward.

i wouldn't even mind going into a house if more of them has more than one bathroom :/
yeah, i mean they directed me to a group on facebook for people who didn't get halls and there's so many international students that didn't get halls.. i feel sorry for them! it seems like their system is seriously flawed because i know people living with the M25 that are getting rooms that people have given up already. i literally have no idea how their priorities work.

thank you though, part of me hopes that i can find a house with an en-suite just outside of harrow.. i've heard it's very dry there!
Original post by bhx
i wouldn't even mind going into a house if more of them has more than one bathroom :/
yeah, i mean they directed me to a group on facebook for people who didn't get halls and there's so many international students that didn't get halls.. i feel sorry for them! it seems like their system is seriously flawed because i know people living with the M25 that are getting rooms that people have given up already. i literally have no idea how their priorities work.

thank you though, part of me hopes that i can find a house with an en-suite just outside of harrow.. i've heard it's very dry there!

sadly student houses with an ensuite are very hard to come back, and would certainly attract a premium.

and yeah, I live in Harrow, its not the greatest place to be a student and such a pain to get back from central London at night.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending