The Student Room Group

Current Vet Students

Hello. I believe that vet school is a bit of an uppy downy thing. Some days being a vet stud is great, like when you know what people are talking about or you spot a schwann cell in histology, or do a post mortem with a cool gorey bit, or your sutures look good or a client asks for you not the vet etc. etc.
And some vet days e.g. coming up to exams, all the time in 3rd year or when you're on the farm piss wet through, skating about in the shiite trying desperatly to feel something other than flob in a PD session, i just feel like working in tesco filling shelves and having a simple life or marrying well and getting a bun in the oven instead.

Am I all alone??
I'm a first year RVC vet, and so far, iv not found the stuff that thrilling, but i know that its only because we do all the biochemistry stuff first, and its next term we move onto disections and actual interesting lectures. some things we've done have been so amazing, and really really interesting, and the animal husbandry stuff has been great, but i know quiet a few people have found this term hard going.

but i totally agree with lessthanthree, it is hard work, but its totally worth it. i know its going to get much harder, but its going to get so much better aswell!:smile:
Reply 2
Hello Everyone,

God I worked so hard to get in aginst all odds and its what i live for, and i've lasted this long and its great to be in 4th and having a go at actually being proper vets. Sorry, didn't mean to whinge. I just think that vets do amazing things in a day and get their brains stretched all the time and the people we do it for don't always know that and it makes me wonder how nice or not it would be to have just an 8 hour lecture week like most students, or do a job where the pressure's off.

I have to admit that i thought about it more in 3rd yr which is so depressing cos you have to know so much yet get to apply so little of it in that year, and it gets frustrating.

But don't worry little uns, fourth years brings a welcome rest so far and the chance to shine a bit as clinical students, and it feels like what we came to vet school to do. so apart from the odd days that i mentioned in the last post, its brill!!!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!
i no a few ppl who have though about just having a 9-5 job or doing a media degree, it always seems the easy option! hehe! my friend is doing a media degree, has 8 hours of lectures a week, and says that its so much harder then a veterinary degree! erm, no! u write about films!

sorry, just infuriates me a bit!

cant wait to get into clinical stuff, only a year n a bit to go........... :smile:
Reply 4
Somehow, despite having known countless disillusioned vets and having read posts about how stressful it all is, I still want to be a vet.
Am I just plain stark raving mad? :confused: :rolleyes:
Evenstar
Somehow, despite having known countless disillusioned vets and having read posts about how stressful it all is, I still want to be a vet.
Am I just plain stark raving mad? :confused: :rolleyes:
yeah, but we all are, think its one of the entrance requirements really! :p:
Yes, I think we are all stark raving mad!

I have found second year quite frustrating so far, because we have had no animal contact WHATSOEVER, and sometimes it's hard to remember why it is that you bother learning all the anatomy/physiology, etc that they throw at you.

But, as leggielass said, we may moan and whinge but it's what we've worked our arses off to be able to do and it's what we live for.

If you've just started, or you're not quite there yet, don't listen to us, sometimes all the work just blocks out the glowing vision of the end goal for a while!
Reply 7
yeah im only a first year at the RVC...and im loving it.....but yeah sometimes im like....y did i have to choose such a hard a long course/profession......u couldnt i have settled for something less.....especially when my friends talk about their 8 hr weeks and how they dont go back till feb :eek: im kinda scared of the later years cos they just sound like sooooo much hard work....esp 3rd year.....but im sure i will cross those hurdles when i get to them...and scrape through as i always seem to have done so far....after all it is such a wickid opportunity even just to be a vet student..and what an amazing profession to go into...its definately what i want.....so i guess i will just try to keep hold of that ....and im sure students on every course have their ups and downs...and all sometimes question y they chose their courses....vet students prob less than most as most vet students chose their course when they were about 4 or something!!!!!!!!!

Latest

Trending

Trending