The Student Room Group

hi everyone need help with as level options!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by heartskippedabeat
Don't do both Business and Economics, choose one. Economics is the most 'respected' of the two.

Yeah what he said! It's a 'classic' a level business studies is newer
Reply 21
Original post by gstyle17007
thanks for that very very helpful site!

Bear in mind those only apply to those specific universities, and should only be used as a "rule of thumb", other universities may have different preferences or not care at all.
Original post by charlottemoss
Yeah what he said! It's a 'classic' a level business studies is newer

*She :colondollar:
Reply 24
Just another quick question you guys think that doing the three sciences and maths is hard work at A-level?

I am prepared to work hard the day whole whilst at sixth form and also work alot when i come home.

How possible is it to get 4 A's as I have seen the requirements for Newcastle Univerisity and they don't accept anyone who has resit an exam.

Thanks
Reply 25
Law
It was a bit of a whim for everyone I knew who took it, because non of us had any experience with it, but it turned out to be my best subject and my favorite, I found it so interesting and come exam time I was always getting A's or B's and so was the rest of my class, we did have a really good teacher, but now I'm taking Law at uni in october, so you never know :smile:
Reply 26
So you liked law at a-level depends alot of the teachers aswell in my opinion
Reply 27
Law related to business?
Reply 28
Yeah, but I think you could say it depends on the teacher for a lot of subjects, e.g I love history, but at A level i didn't have a great teacher, so i've struggled, my boyfriend got an A* in maths a GCSE without revising, and at A level ended up struggling in the second year because all the teacher did was hand out past papers and not teach them how to actually do the papers.

Law is related to business, I didn't do business my self but about 90% of my class did business and law together and found they were their two best subjects. Law is loads of fun to study, really interesting when you get to the murder/manslaughter bit, but if there is really no room for you to have your 'random' choice as I like to call it, then you're best sticking to what you know, and what you know you're going to need for your future :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Hi everyone need a bit of help with a level options
regardless of the other options I am going to take Mathematics defiantly.

these are my options im interested in General studies is compulsory.
General Studies GCE AS/A2 Levels (OCR)

Accounting GCE AS/A2 Levels (AQA)
Applied Business Double Award GCE AS/A2 Levels (OCR)
Business Studies GCE AS/A2 Levels (OCR)
Computing GCE AS/A2 Level (AQA) –maybe somthings in computing?
Economics GCE AS/A2 Levels (Edexcel)
Law GCE AS/A2 Levels (OCR)
Mathematics GCE AS/A2 Level (OCR) and further maths
Chemistry
Physics
Biology

My first option is to go into business side etc.
Accounting
Business
Economics
Mathematics

second option is
Chemistry
Physics
Biology
Mathematics

Any advice people?

Also could you let me know what the others entail?

Computing GCE AS/A2 Level (AQA) –maybe somthings in computing?
Economics GCE AS/A2 Levels (Edexcel)
Law GCE AS/A2 Levels (OCR)

thanks alot people

No point doing econ, business and accounting - unis really don't like it and it leaves you quite limited.

I'd say Maths, Physics, Econ and Computing? Or substitute chem/bio for computing?
Reply 30
Just another quick question you guys think that doing the three sciences and maths is hard work at A-level?

I am prepared to work hard the day whole whilst at sixth form and also work alot when i come home.

How possible is it to get 4 A's as I have seen the requirements for Newcastle Univerisity and they don't accept anyone who has resit an exam.

Thanks

That was what I did! :biggrin: You'll have to work for it, but it's fun! You don't have to sacrifice your social life for A-Levels, it's not that hard, I finished my A-Levels in 10 months basically studying myself and it was fun. Taking 3 sciences together is a very good idea. They have a significant overlap, so you'll just have to put in the effort of studying 2.5 subjects. They also help complement each other, which will allow you to have a better understanding of each subject.

But if you want to keep your options open, perhaps chemistry+biology+econs+maths would be a good combination.

PS: you didn't ask for it, but here's some really good advice: www.xtremepapers.net.
Do all of the past years. :borat:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by Qi Jia
That was what I did! :biggrin: You'll have to work for it, but it's fun! You don't have to sacrifice your social life for A-Levels, it's not that hard, I finished my A-Levels in 10 months basically studying myself and it was fun. Taking 3 sciences together is a very good idea. They have a significant overlap, so you'll just have to put in the effort of studying 2.5 subjects. They also help complement each other, which will allow you to have a better understanding of each subject.

But if you want to keep your options open, perhaps chemistry+biology+econs+maths would be a good combination.

PS: you didn't ask for it, but here's some really good advice: www.xtremepapers.net.
Do all of the past years. :borat:

Thanks alot dude and the site is great, im thinking more of going down that route now.

Quick Reply

Latest