The Student Room Group

What Is 6th Form like?

Scroll to see replies

alright.
Depends, I like it due to the fact I like all my teachers and my subjects.

Differs for different people.
Reply 22
Original post by camblacks
For clarification,
1) I'm staying at my school
2) I wear a school uniform (navy suit)
3) I'm taking English lit/lang, Economics, History and German
4) My school does not allow BTEC's

I've just started A2, and I've taken 3/4 of your subjects. However, instead of German, I am doing Government and Politics.

It depends on which specifications your sixth-form will choose, but I've enjoyed all of my subjects so far. English Literature was the hardest, however it's a good subject in general to have. It gave me an advantage as my other subjects require essay writing as well. My sixth-form only offered Economics combined with Business Studies. It was OK at AS, a little bit basic. Though at A2 it is much more interesting. History is a good subject too, there will be a lot to learn, but if you keep up with the work and practise how to write the essays it should be fine.

For sixth-form organisation is very important (folders, dividers, textbooks etc.) It seems obvious, though it is easy to become disorganised. There is a big jump from GCSE to AS, then to A2. My advice is to ensure you keep up to date with your work, receive feedback and targets from teachers and act upon it etc. I was worried about AS levels, but looking back they were actually quite easy. I don't want to be too confident though in case my grades say differently!

Oh and you're lucky that your sixth-form does not do BTECs! (This isn't a dig at any TSR user, but from past experience those 'students' are very annoying).

Hopefully this has helped you and good luck :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by bradshawi
They take BTECs and receive EMA.

Studying different subjects to you and having a low income? How very dare they? :eek: :rolleyes:

I personally thought sixth form was really quite dull. But there was more independence :smile:
Original post by camblacks
For clarification,
1) I'm staying at my school
2) I wear a school uniform (navy suit)
3) I'm taking English lit/lang, Economics, History and German
4) My school does not allow BTEC's

What has that got to do with anything?

2 of the worst years of my life. No hyperbole.
Ecstatic that I'm done, and know I can spend my gap year really enjoying myself.
:colone:
Reply 25
Original post by kerily
Studying different subjects to you and having a low income? How very dare they? :eek: :rolleyes:

I'm not a fan of BTECs at my sixth-form. They may be useful for some students for their own reasons, but I don't think they're the equivalent to A-levels. The thing with EMA is that it sent students the wrong messages. They only continued further education for the money and spent it on items not related to school. I am aware that there were students who needed the money for transport, textbooks etc. It's unfortunate for them that there are some who choose to abuse the system.
Year 12 was alright. Fun at times. Then after the start of year 13 you'll be absolutely desperate to leave and will hate all your subjects.
Some people mature, most don't.
Original post by Peachesishere

Ecstatic that I'm done, and know I can spend my gap year really enjoying myself.

Your sig makes me happy :sexface:
I'm not a fan of BTECs at my sixth-form. They may be useful for some students for their own reasons, but I don't think they're the equivalent to A-levels. The thing with EMA is that it sent students the wrong messages. They only continued further education for the money and spent it on items not related to school. I am aware that there were students who needed the money for transport, textbooks etc. It's unfortunate for them that there are some who choose to abuse the system.

The system is there to be abused.

(edited 12 years ago)
Some of you guys have it rough?

I've been one year at mine and I enjoy the common room, mini kitchen, which only one friend mainly uses to heat his food, and our Sports science teacher to make his coffee since his room is next door haha.

A pool table to chill with and music (songs and loudness varies on common room mood :tongue:)
Reply 30
Original post by NutterFrutter
The system is there to be abused.

You won't be laughing when you're a taxpayer. I'm not either, however I am not fond of the welfare system..
Original post by tehsponge
Your sig makes me happy :sexface:

It makes me very happy too, the man's a god.
:hubba:
Reply 32
There are good bits and bad bits. I love having frees, although they're a bit of the pain at the moment because I don't have enough work to fill up the time. However, my schedule clashes with all that of my friends', so I don't see them much besides at the weekends, and I generally don't have time for lunch - it's either munching on a cereal bar as I move from one building to the next, or skipping it altogether.

The work is more time-consuming, but more enjoyable. However, particularly at the start of the academic year, I'd come home from Sixth exhausted, wanting to do nothing more than sleep. It was also difficult getting used to calling teachers by their first names.

Good luck with it :smile:

EDIT: I agree with people on here saying you'll be counting down the days till it's over, it really does feel like a brief stepping-stone in your education.
(edited 12 years ago)
You won't be laughing when you're a taxpayer. I'm not either, however I am not fond of the welfare system..

Are you fond of anything that is beneficial to those less well off?
Probably not, if your mind is set against something, you will subconsciously find ways to focus and emphasise the cracks that occur within every system. You shall laden your mind with all these faults to justify your negative feelings. To prove that it's merely not an envious opinion.

But at the end of the day, you are just sad that you don't get no money. Yes?

Leave it, no one wants a thread about sixth form life riddled with petty EMA/ welfare arguments. It's been done, over and over and over.

No, I shall continue to laugh...

Unfortunately I feel I could say that about my sixth form too... :emo:
pretty boring, unless sitting around in a room that constantly smells of pot noodles is your idea of a good time. The novelty of being able to go to the shop to buy wotsits wears off after a while, and once you start going to university open days sixth form seems even more tedious in comparison. That said, it's a lot better than GCSEs and you'll begin to wonder how you ever managed to have 5 lessons a day without dying of ennui..
Reply 37
Are you fond of anything that is beneficial to those less well off?
Probably not, if your mind is set against something, you will subconsciously find ways to focus and emphasise the cracks that occur within every system. You shall laden your mind with all these faults to justify your negative feelings. To prove that it's merely not an envious opinion.

But at the end of the day, you are just sad that you don't get no money. Yes?

Leave it, no one wants a thread about sixth form life riddled with petty EMA/ welfare arguments. It's been done, over and over and over.

I can assure you that I am definitely not envious of those who were claiming EMA and those who take BTECs. Bearing in mind I am against those things! Why on earth would I want to accept money from the government? I am definitely not envious or 'sad' that I only receive money from my parents, which they have earned in their own right.

Yes, let's leave it there! I really do not want to take this off topic from the purpose of the thread.
pretty much the same tbh, although like someone said you know that you won't be there for very long and are just counting down the days to uni.
Reply 39

People were mentioning students doing BTEC's

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending