The Student Room Group

Need help with clothing part of an internship in investment bank!

some guys told me to look around, i have but i just cant seem to find any threads to do with internship, everyone is talking about £420 hermes belts and £500 tm lewis suits, im a student i need help packing for my internship in another country.

Im trying to find stuff on sale but i cant seem to find anythin in my size on sale at tm lewis, is there any other brands that city people wear ? like m&s.

im thinkin of takin:
2 suits(black and navy, slim fit)
2 belts (brown n black)
2 shoes (black and brown)
4-5 shirts (mainly white and light blue, slim fit shirts)
2-3 ties (slim ties)

as you could see im into slim fit lol do you think this is enough or too much for a months internship ? im doin it in istanbul which is gona be 35-40 degrees in august(have i picked the right colour? dark colours seems to absorb heat)
Reply 1
i dont think people are going to be telling you to strip just to check the label at the back ........so it dont matter wear whatever you want it doesn't have to be all designer :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tolgahan09
some guys told me to look around, i have but i just cant seem to find any threads to do with internship, everyone is talking about £420 hermes belts and £500 tm lewis suits, im a student i need help packing for my internship in another country.

Im trying to find stuff on sale but i cant seem to find anythin in my size on sale at tm lewis, is there any other brands that city people wear ? like m&s.

im thinkin of takin:
2 belts (brown n black)
2-3 ties (slim ties)

as you could see im into slim fit lol do you think this is enough or too much for a months internship ? im doin it in istanbul which is gona be 35-40 degrees in august(have i picked the right colour? dark colours seems to absorb heat)

In a hot country go for lighter suits. Don't wear a black suit, light grey is probably acceptable in that heat, otherwise go for navy or grey. I'd stick with black belts and shoes, not much need for brown. Brown doesn't really go with navy, however it does go with light grey. If it is a 8-10 week internship, I would say go for 10 shirts unless you are prepared to do washing and ironing regularly. 2 ties is probably too few, 3 is fine I reckon. Slim fit stuff is fine, a suit that fits well is better than one that is loose and baggy.

edit: ignore all these brand names being thrown about. only VPs and above need spend that much on clothes.
(edited 12 years ago)

im thinkin of takin:
2 belts (brown n black)
2-3 ties (slim ties)

Black suits are a big no-no in any work place (not just banking) from what I hear (and can see). Only allowed for funerals.
(edited 12 years ago)
Debenhams and house of fraser. Think you have just missed the sales though
Reply 5
No brown shoes. Ever.

and if you're paying £420 for a belt to go with a £500 suit, you have a whole different set of problems.

Buy wool, nothing synthetic. Not only better quality and less cheap looking, but also cooler in the summer. Polyester will be hell.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by hassi94
Black suits are a big no-no in any work place (not just banking) from what I hear (and can see). Only allowed for funerals.

Where did you hear that?!
Original post by LeeC
Where did you hear that?!

exaggerated crap from this forum

consensus on WSO is that they're ok
Reply 8
Original post by Teenage Pirate

I always assumed that was a British thing. Don't see many folks with a black suit in the City. Very common in Germany however.
Reply 9
I personally just had one pair of black shoes and a black belt, don't think you really need two. You will want more ties and shirts to last over a week, I find I don't have that much time while interning to wash and iron every week.

Make sure your clothes fit but don't worry too much about brands. I see plenty of interns who look like they haven't really put much thought into their clothing...
(edited 12 years ago)
Lol...£500 for a TM Lewin Suit...
Reply 11
Original post by Teenage Pirate

Thts def not the consensus. Black suits are for funerals. Some people will care about it, some people wont, I dont understand why someone would wear a black suit as it looks out of place.
Reply 12
thanks guys!
Reply 13
If you spend loads of money you'll probably get there and wonder why you bothered. People wear all sorts.

Black suits a big no no? No one cares.

No one ever wears brown shoes? Yes, they do. Not a lot, and not really my thing, but some people do.

A half decent suit (I've got the bog standard TM Lewin one I got last summer after I finished first year) and a back up in case of any unforeseen rips/tears etc. (think one buried in the wardrobe from 6th form to tide you over for a day) is fine.

I would however get plenty of shirts and at least 3 or 4 ties - they'll be the only bit visible while you're sat at your desk most of the day. They don't have to be pricey but I would go for double cuff.

In short - as long as you look smart, don't worry about the brand.
I see plenty of people wearing brown shoes, so I don't know where the idea that they are taboo came from (as long as they co-ordinate with your suit colour of course, but that goes without saying).
Reply 15
Original post by Maggieffc
If you spend loads of money you'll probably get there and wonder why you bothered. People wear all sorts.

Black suits a big no no? No one cares.

No one ever wears brown shoes? Yes, they do. Not a lot, and not really my thing, but some people do.

A half decent suit (I've got the bog standard TM Lewin one I got last summer after I finished first year) and a back up in case of any unforeseen rips/tears etc. (think one buried in the wardrobe from 6th form to tide you over for a day) is fine.

I would however get plenty of shirts and at least 3 or 4 ties - they'll be the only bit visible while you're sat at your desk most of the day. They don't have to be pricey but I would go for double cuff.

In short - as long as you look smart, don't worry about the brand.

This.

No one gives a sh*t, best piece of advice is to totally forget most of the things uttered on this forum regarding styles of dress. During my internship the only thing people cared about is that we were there and doing what we were supposed to be doing, on time. your first day you'll realise quite how much b*llocks goes around on TSR.:redface:
Reply 16
Original post by Michel Foucault
I see plenty of people wearing brown shoes, so I don't know where the idea that they are taboo came from (as long as they co-ordinate with your suit colour of course, but that goes without saying).

never said people don't wear them. They simpyl shouldn't. It doesn't look good and rarely goes well with any of the other colours they wear. Can't think of anythign that'd go well with brown shoes except for hiking gear.

also: http://uk.reuters.com/article/2007/01/22/uk-bankers-fashion-idUKL188026420070122

http://news.efinancialcareers.co.uk/News_ITEM/newsItemId-22350
Reply 17

im thinkin of takin:
2 belts (brown n black)
2-3 ties (slim ties)

try next they got a sale on :biggrin:
Reply 18
The main reason why i want to look the part during my internship is give a good first impression and catch peoples eyes with what i wear so they remember me, i want to make a good impression, ok of course the best way to make a good impression is to do really well during the internship but im sure people look at the way you dress as well in the investment banking department. If you get what i mean.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending