The Student Room Group

Linguistics Applicants 2012!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Original post by Jessikat

Original post by Jessikat
Really? Oh no! I've spent pretty much all day on the UCL questionnaire, and I've only got one question left to do... Laboured for stupidly long on the grammar question. I was told in the email that the deadline's November 9th. I'm assuming the deadline's a certain amount of time after you get sent the questionnaire, though. :smile:

alright then,i think you get about a month time to finish it off and send it back.. are the questions in the questionnaire something like they will ask you in an interview?
Reply 101
Original post by xxmoist
alright then,i think you get about a month time to finish it off and send it back.. are the questions in the questionnaire something like they will ask you in an interview?

Nope, I received it on the 26th and my deadline's the 9th. That's nowhere near a month :frown:

I'd guess that it's the same sort of thing. I genuinely have no idea as I've never had an interview. :biggrin:
Reply 102
Just seen this! I'm applying for:

Beginners' Italian and Linguistics - Oxford
Linguistics - York
Linguistics - UCL (got the questionnaire!)
Linguistics - Edinburgh
Beginners' Italian and Linguistics - Leeds
Reply 103
Original post by danrw4

Linguistics - York
Linguistics - Edinburgh

Out of curiosity, when did you send your application and when did UCL send you their acknowledgement email? I know I shouldn't worry, but basically everyone here (... three people? I am so hyperbolic sometimes!) has this questionnaire email and I don't-- can't help this feeling of dread even though I rationally know better! :redface:

And wow, I have already seen a couple of you mention that you're applying for Italian! Italian is a wonderfully lovely language, good choice :biggrin:
Reply 104
Original post by danrw4

Linguistics - York
Linguistics - Edinburgh

hiii :biggrin:
yay i'm applying to all of those apart from oxford! (just for straight linguistics though)
what's your grade profile/predicted grades like :smile:
Reply 105
Original post by prettified
Out of curiosity, when did you send your application and when did UCL send you their acknowledgement email? I know I shouldn't worry, but basically everyone here (... three people? I am so hyperbolic sometimes!) has this questionnaire email and I don't-- can't help this feeling of dread even though I rationally know better! :redface:

And wow, I have already seen a couple of you mention that you're applying for Italian! Italian is a wonderfully lovely language, good choice :biggrin:

you havent got the questionnaire... my school havent even sent mine off yet!!! universities don't know i exist :angry::mad:

out of interest, how have you only got 3 universities on your application...?
i thought you had to apply to 5 all at the same time, or am i mistaken :smile:
Reply 106
Original post by Farah-Lou
you havent got the questionnaire... my school havent even sent mine off yet!!! universities don't know i exist :angry::mad:

out of interest, how have you only got 3 universities on your application...?
i thought you had to apply to 5 all at the same time, or am i mistaken :smile:

No, you can add other choices afterwards so long as you do it before the deadline in January :smile: I already knew I wanted to study at Edinburgh or UCL or Cambridge, because my pre-application research had focused on their pure Linguistics courses, but my school load is so heavy that my eyes are crossing and I don't have time to compare other universities' courses at the moment, so I'm keeping my last two choices open :tongue:
Reply 107
No, you can add other choices afterwards so long as you do it before the deadline in January :smile: I already knew I wanted to study at Edinburgh or UCL or Cambridge, because my pre-application research had focused on their pure Linguistics courses, but my school load is so heavy that my eyes are crossing and I don't have time to compare other universities' courses at the moment, so I'm keeping my last two choices open :tongue:

oh :smile: evidently i dont quite fully understand UCAS.
which is rather worrying...:s-smilie:
Reply 108
Original post by Farah-Lou
oh :smile: evidently i dont quite fully understand UCAS.
which is rather worrying...:s-smilie:

Don't worry a bit! UCAS is pretty convoluted, I spent ages on their how-to, FAQ, et cetera et cetera pages because I am an EU applicant and couldn't quite understand what they meant by a certain weird wording or a certain unclear sentence :tongue: You, on the other hand, don't need to do it all by yourself, which is a good thing really! :redface:

I hope your school tutors manage to approve your application soon, even though waiting, at this point, is somehow nerve-wracking!
Reply 109
Nice to see so many Linguistics applicants here!

I sent my application to:
Cambridge (Peterhouse)
Edinburgh
York
Manchester
Sheffield (Linguistics and Philosophy)

Reading your posts, I feel like my PS is totally off the mark and all over the place... I took an introductory Linguistics course last year from Tartu Universty (I am from Estonia :smile: ), which just made me fall in love with the subject, but now I'm not so sure it's going to be much help considering the competition hehe :biggrin:

... I spent ages on their how-to, FAQ, et cetera et cetera pages because I am an EU applicant and couldn't quite understand what they meant by a certain weird wording or a certain unclear sentence :tongue: You, on the other hand, don't need to do it all by yourself, which is a good thing really! :redface:

I hope your school tutors manage to approve your application soon, even though waiting, at this point, is somehow nerve-wracking!

Oh God, UCAS! I was about to smash my head to the nearest wall after about one week of intense fighting with the application... Half of the stuff had just nothing to do with our school system and none of my teachers NOR career councellors could help me. I had to phone UCAS like three times and still finally ended up filling it to the best of my knowledge.

I just remembered that I still haven't sent my alternative PS to Sheffield that I begged them for since my UCAS statement is Linguistics-oriented... Oops...
Reply 110
Original post by Lefsela
Nice to see so many Linguistics applicants here!

I sent my application to:
Cambridge (Peterhouse)
Edinburgh
York
Manchester
Sheffield (Linguistics and Philosophy)

Reading your posts, I feel like my PS is totally off the mark and all over the place... I took an introductory Linguistics course last year from Tartu Universty (I am from Estonia :smile: ), which just made me fall in love with the subject, but now I'm not so sure it's going to be much help considering the competition hehe :biggrin:

Oh God, UCAS! I was about to smash my head to the nearest wall after about one week of intense fighting with the application... Half of the stuff had just nothing to do with our school system and none of my teachers NOR career councellors could help me. I had to phone UCAS like three times and still finally ended up filling it to the best of my knowledge.

I just remembered that I still haven't sent my alternative PS to Sheffield that I begged them for since my UCAS statement is Linguistics-oriented... Oops...

Hey, that's good, taking an introductory course at an University sounds pretty good to me! :smile: I at first had no idea what to write in my PS-- it was really a bit like stabbing around in the dark. My first draft was terrible, but my second one was a lot better, mostly because I wrote the first one in July 2010 (I decided early what to do at university...) and the second one in August 2011, thus with a lot more pressure on me to do something decent & obviously with a lot more things to talk about :tongue:

I know what you mean, UCAS is seriously geared towards UK qualifications! The international pages are pretty confusing, in my opinion... I had to guess a lot of the times, and I hope I didn't botch it up too much. :redface: Let's cross our fingers and hope for the best, fellow EU-applicant comrade! :biggrin:

Ahaha, Edinburgh asked me two weeks ago to fill out their fee status questionnaire and YESTERDAY I got around to sending them an email to ask for clarifications... sigh.
Hey guys, quick update, no offers or anything yet, I've got the questionnaire from UCL and am just struggling with that right now :')
Reply 112
I wrote the first one in July 2010

wow, you're early! I wrote it in like two weeks in last September and it was nerve-wrecking

I got a link form Edinburgh too, but I haven't really had any time to see what it is about with Cambridge constantly wanting things posted. I really want to get to the interviews! Yet I am worried that once they ask me something I'll end up having a moment of really bad accent and getting my tongue twisted, which would be embarassing being a linguistics applicant XD
Reply 113
Original post by Lefsela
wow, you're early! I wrote it in like two weeks in last September and it was nerve-wrecking

I got a link form Edinburgh too, but I haven't really had any time to see what it is about with Cambridge constantly wanting things posted. I really want to get to the interviews! Yet I am worried that once they ask me something I'll end up having a moment of really bad accent and getting my tongue twisted, which would be embarassing being a linguistics applicant XD

I am a compulsive planner (and procrastinator...), so I started looking around in the summer of 2010 :tongue: I stumbled upon linguistics by accident, actually, and I'm so glad I did!

I lost all my self-consciousness about my accent when I had to sit my IELTS oral exam. I was really worried about my English... Fortunately, the examiner seemed to like me so I felt really encouraged and motivated to show all my abilities. :biggrin: Have you sat an English language exam yet?
Reply 114
I am a compulsive planner (and procrastinator...), so I started looking around in the summer of 2010 :tongue: I stumbled upon linguistics by accident, actually, and I'm so glad I did!

I lost all my self-consciousness about my accent when I had to sit my IELTS oral exam. I was really worried about my English... Fortunately, the examiner seemed to like me so I felt really encouraged and motivated to show all my abilities. :biggrin: Have you sat an English language exam yet?

Haha I am a compulsive planner and procastinator too! I can't help it, I have to answer questions like "what will I be doing in 5 years time?" for myself and plan (in detail lol) road trips around Europe and North America that may as well never happen. But I also tend to be last minute person haha. I knew that I want to study languages about three or four years ago (didn't know anything about linguistics back then), then I had a school trip to UK two years ago and we visited Oxford and I was sold. Actually I wanted to apply to Oxford for Psychology, Philosophy, Linguistics course, but then they announced some time in early August this year that the course will not be available... instant panic! I started looking around for other options, first within Oxford, the combined Linguistics and Modern Language courses... but my only choises there would have been either Beginners Italian or Portugese with Linguistics. Well, I really like Italian, but my knowledge of it is limited to one or two words and the only thing I know about Portugese is that it is very similar to Spanish. The few months before december probably wouldn't be enough to change it much... so I figured that I must look elswhere and discovered that Cambridge offers really interesting Linguistics course. (maybe we should take this to PM? :biggrin:)

I took the IELTS exam in August. I was the first one asked for the oral examination and I couldn't believe my luck when I heared the topic: film (and a little bit about hobbies)! I'm a huge film buff haha! The interviewer was really friendly and I felt immediately at ease. On the other hand I think the topic might have been a bit too good, because I wanted to tell so many things that I had a hard time getting to the point... I ended up with the average score of 8.0, which I hope is OK for Cambridge (I know they require at least 7.0, but well... I'm just worried that maybe it will somehow affect my application..) How much did you get?
Reply 115
Original post by Lefsela
Haha I am a compulsive planner and procastinator too! I can't help it, I have to answer questions like "what will I be doing in 5 years time?" for myself and plan (in detail lol) road trips around Europe and North America that may as well never happen. But I also tend to be last minute person haha. I knew that I want to study languages about three or four years ago (didn't know anything about linguistics back then), then I had a school trip to UK two years ago and we visited Oxford and I was sold. Actually I wanted to apply to Oxford for Psychology, Philosophy, Linguistics course, but then they announced some time in early August this year that the course will not be available... instant panic! I started looking around for other options, first within Oxford, the combined Linguistics and Modern Language courses... but my only choises there would have been either Beginners Italian or Portugese with Linguistics. Well, I really like Italian, but my knowledge of it is limited to one or two words and the only thing I know about Portugese is that it is very similar to Spanish. The few months before december probably wouldn't be enough to change it much... so I figured that I must look elswhere and discovered that Cambridge offers really interesting Linguistics course. (maybe we should take this to PM? :biggrin:)

I took the IELTS exam in August. I was the first one asked for the oral examination and I couldn't believe my luck when I heared the topic: film (and a little bit about hobbies)! I'm a huge film buff haha! The interviewer was really friendly and I felt immediately at ease. On the other hand I think the topic might have been a bit too good, because I wanted to tell so many things that I had a hard time getting to the point... I ended up with the average score of 8.0, which I hope is OK for Cambridge (I know they require at least 7.0, but well... I'm just worried that maybe it will somehow affect my application..) How much did you get?

We are quite similar then! I am just like you, in every way, I plan compulsively for some things (university applications, road trips) but I'm totally a procrastinator for other things (school work, for example)... sometimes I look at my life and am amazed at how far I've come without botching things up too badly! :colondollar:

I would have loved to apply for Linguistics and a language, and I was briefly tempted by Oxford's courses, but the languages I was interested in weren't really offered, so I went back to Cambridge in the end. The only language I could have studied was Portuguese, and I wasn't too keen on studying Portuguese. :tongue:

I sat the IELTS exam in March, and I got an average score of 8.0 as well! :biggrin: high-five! I don't think there's any need to worry, so long as we got a score of at least 7.0 in all parts of the exam we're set! I even sent an enquiry about this to the admissions tutors, and they said a score of 7.0 was perfectly fine for Linguistics applicants. :smile: I got 8.0 in the reading and speaking parts, 9.0 in the listening section and 7.0 (:mad:) in the writing part-- I spent too much time on the first essay and didn't leave myself enough time for the longer second essay. :redface: It was a really bad second essay, I admit, I guess that to get a 7.0 you only need to show good English skills, and they don't require a too in-depth reasoned essay on what the questions actually ask! :redface:

Do you want to take this to PMs? :biggrin: It's fine with me either way! Maybe we are clogging up this thread with only partially related stuff... :redface:
Hello. Thought I should introduce myself. I'm Dan , and I'm a second year Linguist at UCL. So to anyone who is applying there, let me know if you want any help and/or advice. Oh and good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 117
Hello all!

My name is Jonne, and I'm from Rovaniemi, Finland. :smile:

I'm applying to Cambridge (King's), UCL, Edinburgh and Newcastle.

I'm a bit worried though, since UCL hasn't sent me the questionnaire. Is this a problem, and should I contact the admissions officers?

- Jonne
Reply 118
Original post by jonnes
Hello all!

My name is Jonne, and I'm from Rovaniemi, Finland. :smile:

I'm applying to Cambridge (King's), UCL, Edinburgh and Newcastle.

I'm a bit worried though, since UCL hasn't sent me the questionnaire. Is this a problem, and should I contact the admissions officers?

- Jonne

Hello, fellow King's applicant! :smile:

I haven't received the questionnaire either... maybe they looked at UK applicants first, and have yet to check our applications? I am trying not to get worried over something that may well be insignificant!

Oh, and I just googled Rovaniemi-- the Wikipedia line in the google page says that 'Rovaniemi is also home to the world's most northern branch of McDonald's.' I chuckled, because after I clicked on the link there were also lots of other interesting tidbits about Rovaniemi... why would random googlers be interested in McDonald's link to Rovaniemi?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 119
Original post by Wicked12321
Hello. Thought I should introduce myself. I'm Dan , and I'm a second year Linguist at UCL. So to anyone who is applying there, let me know if you want any help and/or advice. Oh and good luck everyone :smile:

Hi, and thanks for offering your help! It is much appreciated :tongue:

Perhaps you don't know much about this, but how organized and well-run is the language centre at UCL? I applied for the Q100 degree, but I think I'd like to learn foreign languages on the side :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending