The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Economics at Warwick

I have still not recieved a decision from Warwick to do straight Economics (L100). I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. If however you have recieved an offer, when are the open days? cos then i would know roughly the latest I could expect to receive the decision. I have also heard Warwick are reluctant to give places to people with Oxbridge offers, does anyone know if this is true?
Reply 1
Wrong fourm.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Tek
Wrong fourm.

Not really the wrong forum, given that the second part of the query relates to his Warwick application in relation to his Oxbridge one...In any case, I think that there is no hard and fast rule. I knew people who got outright rejected, others who recieved the same offer, and I personally got a EE offer 2 days after my Cambridge one. I think that there is definately some truth though that places like LSE, Warwick, York will acceopt someone who isn't applying to Oxbridge over someone who is (if both candidates are comparable), because they (rightly or wrongly) assume that the candidtae applying to Oxbridge has made that their first choice. Also, the Economics department at Warwick is very strong, whereas I applied for Sociology and Politics, and I don't think there would have been the same level of competition! What you must rememebr though, is that everyone applies to 6 places (well, most), and given Warwick's reputation, I am sure that many of their applicants are in the same position as you. Also, given the strength of the departments reputation, they may be more inclined to go easy on Oxbridge people as they won't have the same compledx about not being your first choice.
Reply 3
by the way, i apologise for always misspelling words. i am a lazy/crap typist :rolleyes:
Reply 4
Oh come on, that's a tenuous link at best. I may as well say "Oxbridge" somewhere randomly in a post about ice cream but that wouldn't justify my posting it here.
Reply 5
Tek
Oh come on, that's a tenuous link at best. I may as well say "Oxbridge" somewhere randomly in a post about ice cream but that wouldn't justify my posting it here.

well no, because that WOULD be a tenuous link at best, while this isn't. Surely a post that asks about warwick applications relating to oxbridge ones should be posted on a forum where there are likely to eb more Oxbridge applicants? If he had posted this on another forum, he may not have had access to as many students with experience in Oxbridge applications.
Reply 6
The
I have still not recieved a decision from Warwick to do straight Economics (L100). I was wondering if anyone else is in the same boat. If however you have recieved an offer, when are the open days? cos then i would know roughly the latest I could expect to receive the decision.

outweighs the afterthought
I have also heard Warwick are reluctant to give places to people with Oxbridge offers, does anyone know if this is true?

Even the title makes it clear that it's about Warwick and not Oxford!
Reply 7
Tek
The

outweighs the afterthought

Even the title makes it clear that it's about Warwick and not Oxford!

Look, In terms of lines devoted to each point, then yes, this is true. However, I was not saying that it is more about Oxbridge than Warwick, but simply that it is out of order for you to be dismissive. It is out of order because on this forum there are many people (like myself) who are more than happy to share our experiences, if it can help at all. Perhpas suggetsing that he should post it on another forum too would have been a more constructive suggestion/retort
Reply 8
ladyvice
Look, In terms of lines devoted to each point, then yes, this is true. However, I was not saying that it is more about Oxbridge than Warwick, but simply that it is out of order for you to be dismissive. It is out of order because on this forum there are many people (like myself) who are more than happy to share our experiences, if it can help at all. Perhpas suggetsing that he should post it on another forum too would have been a more constructive suggestion/retort

If you're so keen to help, then why don't you look in all the sub forums?
Reply 9
Tek
If you're so keen to help, then why don't you look in all the sub forums?

Well, this is my point entirely. Not everyone looks in all the sub forums, which is why it is important for people to be able to post things with a SMALL BUT RELEVANT link. In any case, thew reason I am on this forum specifically, is I think it is an amazing place for people to get help and advice re: Oxbridge and discuss the issues. this is my main interest as far as this site goes, because I like to think that I can help those with little access to such help/information. I alos think it is where I am most useful. But thank you for your comments, I have found them most useful. Also, I have looked at the sub forums but not been tempted to post anything, so stopped looking. I didn't say that I would make it my life's work to help everyone everywhere, but I like to think I do 'my bit'...whatever that means.
Reply 10
Tek
Wrong fourm.

I think you need some fresh air, get out a bit more.

Latest