The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Fitzwilliam College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 720
Hi got an offer for Classics here! Over the moon :biggrin: can't find anyone else who does though...
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by AAlmond
Hi there, Fitz offer holders!

Congratulations on getting into Cambridge, and, more importantly, congratulations on getting into the best Cambridge College - I'll leave you to take an educated guess as to which one I'm referring to...

This thread is designed for you Freshers-to-be to mingle amongst yourselves, and to get to know each other. If you have any questions, feel free to post them on here or PM me.

Have fun!

Your future (College) parents

Original post by AAlmond
Hi there, Fitz offer holders!

Congratulations on getting into Cambridge, and, more importantly, congratulations on getting into the best Cambridge College - I'll leave you to take an educated guess as to which one I'm referring to...

This thread is designed for you Freshers-to-be to mingle amongst yourselves, and to get to know each other. If you have any questions, feel free to post them on here or PM me.

Have fun!

Your future (College) parents

Please remind your admissions tutor to send emails for the decisions to international applicants.
Reply 722
Original post by wilson94hklf2
Please remind your admissions tutor to send emails for the decisions to international applicants.

I think you should be able to email the college; other applicants have asked for their decisions via email and received them. :smile:

Anyway, I've got an offer for English! Now I just need to meet it; I'd really love to come to Fitz. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi everyone! I've just recieved an offer from Fitz for HSPS! :smile:
Reply 724
Original post by EleanorKeats
Hi everyone! I've just recieved an offer from Fitz for HSPS! :smile:

Through pool or direct application?
Congrats!
Original post by afc1607
Through pool or direct application?
Congrats!

Well through the pool..but oh well! I actually got the call on Sunday, but I only just found this thread.
Unconditional offer (on my gap yah) for AMES at Fitz! Actually called them up yesterday, after getting the phone call on Sunday, to double check that I had an offer. Can't wait :biggrin:
Got an offer A*A*A for Chemical Engineering (NatSci). :smile:))
Reply 728
Hey, I have an interview at Fitz this Friday (10th) for natural sciences (physical), everyone I know did theirs in December but for various reasons mine was postponed until this week... does anyone have any advice/tips/suggestions for me? Personal experiences? Any help from people who received an offer would of course be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Reply 729
Original post by Bohrdom
Hey, I have an interview at Fitz this Friday (10th) for natural sciences (physical), everyone I know did theirs in December but for various reasons mine was postponed until this week... does anyone have any advice/tips/suggestions for me? Personal experiences? Any help from people who received an offer would of course be greatly appreciated! Thanks

I didn't apply for Natural Sciences, so I can't give you too much subject specific advice, but I can tell you that the interviews are essentially an informal academic discussion, so don't be too worried. As long as you are comfortable talking about stuff that you have studied (A-level/IB material), and are open to exploring ideas that you hadn't considered, you should be fine. They will start off with easy questions and try to push you until you do not actually know the answer; this is where they want to see your thought process. I thought mine went terribly, and I ended up getting an offer, so don't read into them too much! Good luck!
Reply 730
hi there,
I've been admitted at Fitz college in Cambridge for my one year MPhil in Economic Research, as I'm not British and I have no idea of what life will be like at cambridge, I would like to have some general tip about Fitz college. In particular, as I am now supposed to ask for an accomodation, I would like to know if you can give me a piece of advice about the campus (glisson road, main college, other colleges and hostel). What would you reccomend?
Btw, I've read they charge you for 0.33£ per GB of internet. Is that true? I use something like 20GB per day, do you think I can find any solution to this problem?

thanks for your help!
Original post by pippopo
hi there,
I've been admitted at Fitz college in Cambridge for my one year MPhil in Economic Research, as I'm not British and I have no idea of what life will be like at cambridge, I would like to have some general tip about Fitz college. In particular, as I am now supposed to ask for an accomodation, I would like to know if you can give me a piece of advice about the campus (glisson road, main college, other colleges and hostel). What would you reccomend?
Btw, I've read they charge you for 0.33£ per GB of internet. Is that true? I use something like 20GB per day, do you think I can find any solution to this problem?

thanks for your help!

Hi there I'm a second year Nat sci at Fitz. Accommodation wise the college should get in touch regarding that, though you can always call the porters office (number on the fitz site) - they're really friendly and will give you whatever information you need :smile: Fitz is lovely, everyone is friendly and its generally a nice atmosphere to be in. Room wise, first year undergraduate rooms are pretty basic - but liveable in. Second year accommodation is decent, and 3rd and 4th year is really nice. Post graduate accommodation tends to be nice at fitz - I think a lot of people live in college owned houses. The college has been buying up property locally for a while now. I live in a college house and its quite nice to be honest. A lot of post grads choose to live out in houses and they have there own little groups - but tbh wherever you choose its nice. I'm not too sure about the economics department as I'm a nat sci, but my friends make the commute on push bike and its not particularly far.
There is a healthy rivalry between other colleges and you'll have friends all over the place tbh. Internet wise, yes they charge is 33p a gigabyte. But if you're downloading large amounts of papers I think they don't charge for access on the library computes, and probably not in the departments library.
You'll enjoy your time at fitz - there are lots of other international students as well :smile: If you have any more questions let me know.
Dave
(edited 10 years ago)
Hi. In terms of cooking equipment, cutlery, etc. do we have to bring our own stuff or is it provided? Thanks.
Original post by Hasan24
Hi. In terms of cooking equipment, cutlery, etc. do we have to bring our own stuff or is it provided? Thanks.

No cutlery/plates are provided in the kitchens so do bring your own stuff if you want to use it. Just bringing 1/2 of each item should suffice. After first term some corridors become communal and everyone shares stuff. A toaster, kettle, microwave and fridges are in each kitchen.
Reply 734
Original post by classicslover94
No cutlery/plates are provided in the kitchens so do bring your own stuff if you want to use it. Just bringing 1/2 of each item should suffice. After first term some corridors become communal and everyone shares stuff. A toaster, kettle, microwave and fridges are in each kitchen.

Do you know if they provide ensuites for first years? Also how big are the rooms?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 735
I have an unconditional offer for MML at Fitz starting October 2015, just wondering what proportion of the undergrads cook normally, on the open days I was very much given the impression that no one cooks and everyone prefers to eat in college establishments.

I really enjoy cooking and I cannot afford to eat out all of the time, obviously, so I will be cooking as often as is feasible, just wondering whether I will be the only one or whether cooking is a normal activity for Fitz first years. Cheers :-)
Original post by cmdexe
I have an unconditional offer for MML at Fitz starting October 2015, just wondering what proportion of the undergrads cook normally, on the open days I was very much given the impression that no one cooks and everyone prefers to eat in college establishments.

I really enjoy cooking and I cannot afford to eat out all of the time, obviously, so I will be cooking as often as is feasible, just wondering whether I will be the only one or whether cooking is a normal activity for Fitz first years. Cheers :-)

Very few people cook in first year. This is because first year kitchens are tiny, lacking ovens and only have small hobs (and also because technically, we're not meant to fry things on them; really just make sure you don't get set off the fire alarm and you're golden). Only one first year block has ovens in their kitchen but you won't know if you've got in there until arrival day. Most people make themselves breakfast, either have lunch in the buttery/make a small non-cooked lunch and then eat dinner in the buttery.

That being said, you absolutely can cook if you wish and it won't be weird at all. A hallmate of mine regularly cooks stuff like stir fry, and another bakes a lot and makes herself fried breakfast. So long as you don't mind the limited space and appliances it'll be fine to cook. Most of us are just too lazy. :tongue: Also, if you don't mind me asking, is one of your MML languages Russian?
Reply 737
Original post by dlaiden
Very few people cook in first year. This is because first year kitchens are tiny, lacking ovens and only have small hobs (and also because technically, we're not meant to fry things on them; really just make sure you don't get set off the fire alarm and you're golden). Only one first year block has ovens in their kitchen but you won't know if you've got in there until arrival day. Most people make themselves breakfast, either have lunch in the buttery/make a small non-cooked lunch and then eat dinner in the buttery.

That being said, you absolutely can cook if you wish and it won't be weird at all. A hallmate of mine regularly cooks stuff like stir fry, and another bakes a lot and makes herself fried breakfast. So long as you don't mind the limited space and appliances it'll be fine to cook. Most of us are just too lazy. :tongue: Also, if you don't mind me asking, is one of your MML languages Russian?

That sounds excellent. I'm sure I won't cook for absolutely every meal, especially as the KFC gives you a bit of credit for the buttery, but your message has reassured me that I'll be OK. I don't burn things, I'll not cause a problem ;-)

Yes, my place is for German and Russian. Why do you ask? :-)
Original post by cmdexe
That sounds excellent. I'm sure I won't cook for absolutely every meal, especially as the KFC gives you a bit of credit for the buttery, but your message has reassured me that I'll be OK. I don't burn things, I'll not cause a problem ;-)

Yes, my place is for German and Russian. Why do you ask? :-)

Sounds like a good plan. Yeah, tbh we've only had one incident of the fire alarm going off and that was because someone managed to burn a pizza while heating it up...I trust you'll be able to avoid that! :tongue:

I have two MML friends doing Russian, and one is even doing the exact same language combination as you. All I can say is, if you're doing it ab initio, good luck. :wink: If you have any more questions about Fitz, I'm happy to answer them if I can.
Reply 739
Original post by dlaiden
Sounds like a good plan. Yeah, tbh we've only had one incident of the fire alarm going off and that was because someone managed to burn a pizza while heating it up...I trust you'll be able to avoid that! :tongue:

I have two MML friends doing Russian, and one is even doing the exact same language combination as you. All I can say is, if you're doing it ab initio, good luck. :wink: If you have any more questions about Fitz, I'm happy to answer them if I can.

If I manage to burn a pizza, you can revoke my place at Cambridge :-P I am expecting the course to be very challenging, especially with Russian being ab initio, but I have made a start and so far I am finding Russian very enjoyable. It helps that I l love grammar!

Thank you for the lovely message, you've put me at ease, I'll let you know when I think of more questions !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending